• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Removes Urban Vision Titles from Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I kinda forgot UV existed. They had a pretty good (if also small) catalogue of titles.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they've lasted this long. But I'm glad. UV has released some title's that I loved. Wicked City, Vampire Hunter D, and The Cockpit.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I only buy from Right Stuf, not only are the prices unbeatable during sales for the first hand market, but the customer service is fantastic. On the very rare case that I've had a problem with an order, and even then it's something like damaged product that may have been out of their control, they resolved the issue and sent out a replacement product quite rapidly. And the fact that as you can see the head honcho Shawne frequents this forum and listens to people doesn't hurt one bit. So, for a company to be delisted from Right Stuf pretty much assures that I will never buy any of their products again. I will not buy a digital copy of something. I only buy hard copy. If I don't get it on a DVD, I don't want it.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
Every order I've placed on Right-Stuf, which totals to 8, I believe... all said "in-stock" but then, come to find out, were not in stock. One of them I waited around almost 2 months before officially cancelling the order...haven't ordered since.

If you could provide me with details on this, I'd love to see them. Although our inventory is not completely real time, it is updated every hour, so this really shouldn't have happened to you this frequently - once in a while, yes, but not that many times. Feel free to email me at [email protected].

while i don't think i've had any problems in at least the last 6 months or so (except that processing times on orders just seem to keep getting longer), prior to that, things like this happened fairly regularly to me too.

i've had orders take 2-3 days to process and stuff that i ordered would stay in stock for the first day or two, but when the order was finally processed, half my order was on back order.

i've also had a few occasions where stuff was in stock and allegedly reserved for my order for two weeks or more only to suddenly be out of stock when something i pre-ordered showed up.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
The only problem I have with right stuf is that they apparently don't accept Paypal.

And I was so close to that Panyo Panyo Digi Charat boxset.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
Okay, I guess that makes sense. Can't sell stuff you don't have or can't get.

I don't like to shop on Right Stuf anyway. I prefer to buy stuff that is in-stock not "in-stock". Every order I've placed on Right-Stuf, which totals to 8, I believe... all said "in-stock" but then, come to find out, were not in stock. One of them I waited around almost 2 months before officially cancelling the order...haven't ordered since.

On the other note, I didn't even know Urban Vision was still in business; I thought they've been gone for years, just sold off their titles or something, hahaha.

If you could provide me with details on this, I'd love to see them. Although our inventory is not completely real time, it is updated every hour, so this really shouldn't have happened to you this frequently - once in a while, yes, but not that many times. Feel free to email me at [email protected].

I only have receipts for the things I actually did get. I NEVER order "backorder" items but I was listed with"backorder" status even on items that said they were "INSTOCK" after I made the purchase.. I recall getting emails a couple of days later saying it was now in backorder.

It's been 3 years I've taken my business elsewhere.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Mod edit: In case you missed it, UV issued a statement.

How much business can you be doing if you aren't shipping product out to someplace like Right Stuf? Not to mention, they haven't licensed anything, anime or live action, since 2008. Their titles are also not available through Amazon, except Market Place retailers.

However, I guess their own online store still lists their current licenses for sale and at half off. I thought perhaps they were just liquidating their own stock.

Note to mod: This post was made before the Urban Vision statement was put on the front page. Sorry I can't see the future or time travel....

Anyway, working towards online distribution is good but I hope they can find ways to improve their physical distribution.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
I never thought Urban Vision was even still around. They haven't licensed anything new since the Ninja Scroll TV series. Vampire Hunter D's their only big title.

I can always find UV's stuff on Amazon and eBay, often for cheaper than what RightStuf would have sold it for.

I wonder if they've ever considered rescuing whatever former Geneon shows that FUNimation, Sentai, and Media Blasters haven't touched yet...maybe even some former Manga Entertainment, ADV, Viz, CPM, and earlier Bandai properties...
otimus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
Prolly wasn't making too much money dealing with overpriced stuf.
Unless there's still yet a gaqgle of anime fans that still truly believe a deal once in a while and "good service" is worth paying a massively absurdly high premium for stuff that's just flat out much cheaper elsewhere, ships MUCH faster, and much cheaper, and is the same darn thing.

Having not actually shopped there in quite a while, I just checked it out.

Wow! Their normal prices are now, at the very least now, comparable to Amazon.com! That's an impressive improvement! Still a bit too high, though. Let's just hope the terrible shipping times have changed for the better, too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:32 am Reply with quote
It seems like a responsible move by Right Stuf. It doesn't really make sense to list stuff that you can't ever actually get your hands on. Personallly, I'd never heard of Urban Vision anyway.

Regardless, with Right Stuf's sales, they're pretty much unbeatable - especially when pre-orders are included in the sales, and they don't wait for your entire order to be ready before shipping any of it. Sometimes stuff is backordered for a painfully long time, and sometimes they don't ship it out all that quickly even though it's listed as "reserved for your order," but their prices are so good that it seems foolish to shop elsewhere. Things would probably ship faster if I didn't always choose free shipping, but the delays are well worth not having to pay for shipping. I pretty much don't buy anime or manga anywhere else unless I have to. Heck, I pretty much don't even buy something from Right Stuf unless it's on sale, since it's almost always a guarantee that the a sale will come up in the near future which covers what I'm looking to buy. They pretty much always have a sale of one kind or another going. I don't even want to think about how much more I'd have spent on anime or manga without Right Stuf.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote
I’ve been shopping at Right Stuf for about 3 years now and have been very satisfied. They are the primary place I shop for anime aside from the occasional purchase from Amazon, and I can’t remember the last time I had any problems with them DVD related. They usually ship those quite quickly.

The longest shipping waiting periods for me have been when I purchased the manga Berserk and anime merchandise related items cause once they go out of stock it takes a while for them to get more in it seems. However, I think that’s probably an issue the product distributor which is usual Great Eastern. As a matter of fact, I placed an order full of Great Eastern products last month and I’m still waiting. Anyway, if you’re looking to buy anime, there is no place better than Right Stuf from my experience.
fistofthemfk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
Oh, cool. Now I know why RIght Stuf hasn't sent me Golgo 13: The Professional for the past three months!

So does this mean I should cancel that order?
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
I've ordered from RightStuf many times and I've been quite satisfied with the results. I never order backordered items from any retailer, because there's no way of knowing when, or if, they will ever be able to get the item in stock. Only once has an 'in stock' item on a RightStuf order become backordered on me, so I cancelled it.

The only real issue I might have with them is the time it takes them to process and ship an order. There have been times when it's taken as long as a week, I think the longest was eight days or so, for in stock items that have been 'reserved' for my order. It seems a little excessive, but at the end of the day, as long as the order shows up at my door, I suppose it's a minor quibble.

Edit: I do wonder what "reserved for order" really means, though.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
otimus wrote:

Wow! Their normal prices are now, at the very least now, comparable to Amazon.com! That's an impressive improvement! Still a bit too high, though. Let's just hope the terrible shipping times have changed for the better, too!

Really?
I used to shop Amazon, but with TRSI's "Got Anime discount (10% off those low prices you were looking at) plus their manufacturer sales such as the current TP sale which on top of the 25-40% off discount, one gets to add that 10%--
I've paid $6 for $10 manga for ages. I pay $27 for One Piece sets. Their weekly discounts can be half-off or better (I've seen HunterXHunter half off)
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:

Edit: I do wonder what "reserved for order" really means, though.

It means there is essentially a copy in the warehouse with your name on it. Not literally, obviously, but the copy is allocated specifically to your order.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5