• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Maison Ikkoku

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:32 am Reply with quote
Zalis:
Quote:
Okay, even your own sources are questioning the Negima-HP comparisons.

That's why HP got mentioned in the "also" recommended column.
Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Just how many plot points and misunderstandings are based on overheard half-conversations on MI's single shared landline phone?

I'm sure there are still places like that, but obviously not in big cities like Tokyo. [I hope.] Anyway, this kind of thing probably still happens even nowadays, just not as often. Though, I guess if you were to update it, it'd be spying on people's blogs or Twitter accounts.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
Very enjoyable article.

I discovered MI at a local comic shop at the best/worst time possible: when the first Viz issue appeared, I was an immature college student with a huge crush on an older woman who'd had her heart broken and wasn't ready for another relationship. And I had a rival for her affections too -- a guy who was better-looking, athletic, and also genuinely nice. Sound familiar? Rooting for Godai quickly became a monthly ritual.

The release schedule of 2 chapters in each monthly issue had an interesting side-effect: time in the real world was moving at about the same speed as time in the story, and as Godai was growing up, I was slowly doing so too.

In my little corner of the real world, neither guy ended up getting the girl, and all three of us eventually graduated and went our separate ways. I like to think that we all found our own happy endings.
stoicelder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for writing this wonderful article. Maison Ikkoku is a classic and the only Takahashi work I ever had the desire to finish. I rotated between the anime and manga when I progressed through the series. Some scenes were great to see animated, but the manga did a better job with the story and fleshing out Kyoko's personality.

Despite the length and overdose of hijinks, the payoff of Maison Ikkoku is the most satisfying, mature romance.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
GodaiTheRonin wrote:
Maison Ikkoku is the only Anime/Manga series I have fully supported. Overall a life changing series for me as well. I wish Viz would do a rerun of the DVD series as I own all of the manga in both of its full runs, and all of the DVD boxsets except the last one. The last one was printed in extremely limited quantities and did not see the light of day in stores by my house Sad. The only way to buy it now is to pay about 200 dollars for a used or new one on ebay.. which is absurd for one dvd boxset.

Set 8 usually goes for closer to $600 on ebay...

But recently, Amazon made several (but not all) of the sets, including Set 8, available for purchase again for about $45 each (except Set 4 which, strangely, is $36). But it doesn't say "In Stock", just that it "Usually ships in 2-3 weeks", and when it says "Usually ships in...", it usually means that they don't actually have it in stock.

But someone on Mania.com's Anime/Manga forums placed an order on it and claims that they got a shipping confirmation. I also placed an order on it yesturday but have yet to recieve an order confirmation. If you're still interested in Set 8, you may want to place an order just in case Amazon really does have it, although the chances are slim. But they wont charge you unless it actually ships.

http://www.amazon.com/Maison-Ikkoku-Collectors-Box-Set/dp/B000FGFBX0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1284240810&sr=8-1
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
It's great to see all these comments from other people who like Maison Ikkoku. Rereading it, one thing I noticed was how much Takahashi's art develops over the course of the series... it's really a bridge between her older and 'newer' (i.e. hasn't really changed that much in the last 20 years) art style.

The fact that it's a seinen story, and the characters can talk about sex in a... sorta?... almost?... maybe?... realistic fashion, is definitely a plus for Maison Ikkoku. Not that it doesn't draw out as much tension and drama from a first kiss, a first "I love you," and all those other important moments, as it does over the sexy parts. It's so good, and it doesn't need crossdressing, yokai, shinigami or even psychic powers! The only supernatural elements are Yotsuya's mysterious source of employment, and the way that Soichiro's picture keeps getting mysterious crumpled up or blurred, so that Godai never sees his rival's face.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4