• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Brotherhood of the Wandering Pants

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Your FMA:Brotherhood review gives me the impression you haven't watched that much anime. Wow, it has symbolism. /golfclap. And yes, it does have stock characters.

Your statement gives me the impression that you don't know how to have polite, civil discussions on a message board
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I watched El-Hazard 2 about a year after watching the original OVA's. It scarred me forever. Never will watch the other alt El-Hazards.

The original El-Hazard OVA's are gold.

(Sort of like, Highlander 2 should never have existed. Throw some dirt on it.)
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
I...yeah, I guess I'm cool with that. In fact, I don't even think that's the first time anyone's said that!

If you cosplay as Jinnai, I'll get Noah to cosplay as Fujisawa-sensei. He's often said that is the only anime character he could cosplay because the man always has a 5 'o'clock shadow.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Sea Lion wrote:
I watched Fullmetal Alchemist hit-and-miss, but I've been more faithful with Brotherhood. I may be off-base here, but Brotherhood seems to do a lot less navel-gazing than FMA. It could have been my luck, but every time I turned on FMA, Ed and Al were on the island.

I like the addition of Lin and May. They both had some pretty sweet fights, and they keep the action rolling along. Also, I like how Lin spoiler[treats his bodyguards, whose names I can't recall at this moment, especially the female. He protects her after she sacrifices her arm to let them escape the homunculi. Very honorable of him.]

The first FMA is infamous for adding a ton of navel gazing, in the original manga Equivalent Exchange is pretty much used as how the magic system works with you needing say a ton of lead to make a ton of Gold, in the first anime this was changed into a philosophy that the Elric Brothers believe in and it is talked about constantly. In particular the final confrontation of the main villain is 30 seconds of fighting, two minutes of Ball Room dancing, and the rest is them talking about Equivalent Exchange.

Oh and if you think I am joking about Ball Room Dancing taking up more time than Ed fighting Dante I am not.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
A more technical question about the El Hazard Wanderers release: How many discs is it on? 4, like the old Pioneer release? 5, like many other Nozomi collections of 24-26 episode series?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Sea Lion wrote:
I watched Fullmetal Alchemist hit-and-miss, but I've been more faithful with Brotherhood. I may be off-base here, but Brotherhood seems to do a lot less navel-gazing than FMA. It could have been my luck, but every time I turned on FMA, Ed and Al were on the island.

I like the addition of Lin and May. They both had some pretty sweet fights, and they keep the action rolling along. Also, I like how Lin spoiler[treats his bodyguards, whose names I can't recall at this moment, especially the female. He protects her after she sacrifices her arm to let them escape the homunculi. Very honorable of him.]

The first FMA is infamous for adding a ton of navel gazing, in the original manga Equivalent Exchange is pretty much used as how the magic system works with you needing say a ton of lead to make a ton of Gold, in the first anime this was changed into a philosophy that the Elric Brothers believe in and it is talked about constantly. In particular the final confrontation of the main villain is 30 seconds of fighting, two minutes of Ball Room dancing, and the rest is them talking about Equivalent Exchange.

Oh and if you think I am joking about Ball Room Dancing taking up more time than Ed fighting Dante I am not.

For what it's worthy, I thought it was awesome anyways Razz
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
I really should just get off my ass and watch El Hazard already. This place recommends it to me often enough. I just keep getting confused with all the material that was released for it.

it goes like this:

El-Hazard OAV= original.
Wanderers= alternate original.
El-Hazard 2= first sequel (techincally to the OAV, I believe, but it works both ways without much effort).
Alternative World= second sequel.

The OAV is good, Wanderers is OK, and the sequels aren't worth watching. Rightstuf tends to put its dwindling stock of of the OAV on a good sale every few weeks- keep your eyes open!
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
A more technical question about the El Hazard Wanderers release: How many discs is it on? 4, like the old Pioneer release? 5, like many other Nozomi collections of 24-26 episode series?

Although the back of the DVD case says it is 4 discs, as does Amazon.com's technical description, they are all wrong. It is actually a 5-disc set.

I must confess that I never did pick up the original El Hazard OAV set I liked in my youth on DVD. There are a few reasons for this. First, they only ever sold it in a bundled package with the second set of OAVs. This wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that the MSRP for this combined set was $120. Not very many copies were ever printed, and when you also take into account that it's years out of print, even today in 2010 copies of that set run about $30-$50 and up. The same is true for the original Tenchi Muyo OAVs, only those were/are even MORE expensive. Both the original El Hazard and Tenchi Muyo OAVs make for another fascinating example of some of the most popular anime titles in America once upon a time now being out of print and somewhat tricky/expensive to procure.

Charred Knight wrote:
I would rather not call 30 bucks at Rightstuf tricky to get, it's somewhat expensive but it's not like they're asking 40-50 bucks for it.

I would rather not either, but you're looking at the wrong things. As of today, the price of the original OAVs on Right Stuf is $90, and since it's out of print Amazon only has it available via third parties. There is no other DVD release besides that one, and during those $5 Geneon sales it would not be included as part of it.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I picked up the individual discs of El Hazard: The Magnificent World (2 volumes) along with the El Hazard 2 OVA and the final TV series EH: The Alternative World from RightStuf when they had a blowout sale on Geneon and got all for $5 per disc, then got the Geneon box set of EH: The Wanderers about a month later for about $52 which was the cheapest I had seen it. I have watched the original OVA which was great but I will wait a while to continue with the franchise as "The Wanderers" is a rehash of the OVA dragged out to 26 episodes. Once again it looks like I'll get burned for being a completist; at least I got good deals on most of it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I would rather not call 30 bucks at Rightstuf tricky to get, it's somewhat expensive but it's not like their asking 40-50 bucks for it. I mean sure it's not like when I bought the blu-ray of Heroic Age for 26 bucks (that includes shipping and handling) but it's also nowhere as bad as say Millenium Actress or other out of print DVDs that are outrageous.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Both the original El Hazard and Tenchi Muyo OAVs make for another fascinating example of some of the most popular anime titles in America once upon a time now being out of print and somewhat tricky/expensive to procure.

Not so much for Tenchi now, since FUNi license-rescued it (along with Universe, Tokyo, and all the movies) a few months ago. I'm glad I held off spending a ton on Amazon or somewhere for a copy of the original set.
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
You kinda confuse me with your Black Blood Brothers. First yo state it as the opposite of everything awesome FMA:Brotherhood is, call it mediocre, but then lighten up and pretty much just say its "nothing special" but worth a watch if your into vampires. so is it one or the other? Mediocre, or just nothing special?

I've watched BBB actually. I've only watched the first few episodes, I have yet to finish it, but I hear its ending isnt exactly that great. (based on a light novel, whatchagonna do, no?) I found Jiro's design to be, while reminiscent of other vampire designs such as Alucard and such, still rather refreshing compared to the more "normal" vampires in the series. he stands out. especially since he IS different from other vampires.

But yeah.

on FMA, I was never able to get into the original FMA anime, and some time later, I got into the manga, which I loved. so I went into Brotherhood fresh.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Flame-G102 wrote:
...call it mediocre, but then lighten up and pretty much just say its "nothing special" but worth a watch if your into vampires. so is it one or the other? Mediocre, or just nothing special?

I think mediocre implies "nothing special". Here's the definition of mediocre from merriam-webster.com:
Quote:
: of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance : ordinary, so-so

Ordinary things are by definition not special.

I hope this wasn't too obnoxious an explanation.
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Obnoxious? nah.

Just I usually use mediocre as a term for just plain bad, abysmal, no effort.

Yet BBB is on my radar, more of a "Meeeeeh..." Its got good animation, and art preference aside, its very sharp visually, but the story isnt that great, even if the characters and overall premise are well written.
Umino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
I was drooling over some of those box sets that I can't find for cheap prices and/or are OOP. *_*... Nice collection.

I wonder why mine still hasn't been posted :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2