• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Super Manga Pals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, I have to throw my hat in with the Reborn downers. I watched the first episode, in fansubs, way back when it first started. And it blew me away with it's medicore shounen animation, bad jokes, unattractive (imo) character designs and rather off-the-wall content. I've never looked at it again since.
But I have a friend who watches it, and claims that it supposedly "gets good" once it reaches some kind of "future arc", but I'm not willing to go through years of meandering, really-not-worth-it material to get to some later stuff that might-be-worth-it. And then there was the fact, iirc, that the first manga volume put out by Viz had the entire volume in upside down and backwards inside the cover. That was, shall we say, confusing.

As for anime watchers who don't read manga, I don't get this either, especially with people who watch their anime with subtitles, since they can't use the excuse that they can't be bothered with reading it. Aside from a few anime on tv, and things I bought on DVD like Full Metal Panic! (coincidence that it gets brought up here? I think not xD) and .hack//Sign, the first items in the anime/manga world that I really got into were the Love Hina, Chobits and .hack//Legend of the Twilight manga. In the last 10 years, I've probably aquired about 1000 each, volumes of manga and discs of anime, though my purchasing has slowed down a lot lately. But I am much more prone to re-reading my manga than rewatching my anime.

classicalzawa wrote:
And I agree on Astro Boy, some of the stories are just really really good and when I was reading it, I often has trouble believing this was seriously considered just a kids manga in some ways because so many of the themes were very adult, not necessarily meaning nudity and sex (which I think tends to be mistaken as mature in many American media), but very mature with its themes.

I get what you mean. I'm just now getting up to the episodes of One Piece involving the Sabaody Archipelago and Impel Down. I guess in the manga, the content may not have been too harsh, but seeing it animated, with the music, sound effects and voice acting to go along with it, it is insanely heavy material compared to everything that has come before. I can't imagine what would have happened to this material if 4Kids had tried to adapt it. It is just not meant "for kids" in the US at this point in the series.
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I'm going to stick to my opinion and say that most, if not all reviewers are worth less. Why do you need someone else to tell you if you're going to like something or not? Just watch the freaking thing.

Because my time and money are not infinite. Obviously if its something I already have a good sense of whether I'll like it, such as a favorite mangaka or a favorite genre, I don't need a review to tell me if it's worth my time. But if it's something I'm on the fence about, it does help to read a few reviews to get a more in depth sense of the quality of the work. I'm not going to go out and watch/read/buy everything just to find that out.

Also, sometimes I'll check out a review of a title I've never heard of. A good review will put the title on my radar. So reviews do help to "get the word out" so to speak.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
But you also have to accept the risk of the review being written by someone with radically different tastes then you. As such, you could miss out on shows you might actually enjoy. But, I guess it's up to everyone to decide if it's wroth it.

Also, about Reborn: the first 23 episodes are GARBAGE. I can't find any redeeming factor in them. The jokes are lame, the story is non-existent, the characters are bland, and the underwear joke is putrid. But then Mukuro shows up, and the show does a 180. Gone are the stupid filler-type stories, done is Tsuna getting naked in every episode. Now, it's not a masterpiece, but it does have a very interesting premise. After Mukuro shows up, and Tsuna actually awakens to his powers:

spoiler[ Varia arc: Standard shounen tournament story. The good guys must fight the bad guys for some rings. So far, so standard, but it does have it's moments, like Lambo from 20 years in the future implying that everyone else died. The battles are decent, and Tsuna's determinator attitude is very welcome. BTW, then Tsuna fights, he's a totally different person. He becomes cold and calculated, while sill protecting his friends. This act opens up a new plot point about the rings]

The current arc is spoiler[ The future arc. Our heroes traveled 10 years in the future in order to stop someone who plans to take over all realities. The reason why they have to do it, instead of them from that time, is because in 10 years, they no longer posses the power to defeat the bad guy. Also, Tsuna seems to be dead. Fight are a little tedious at times, but are decent. Honestly, I'm only still watching cause I want to know how this ends]

So yeah, Reborn starts like shit.
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I think it was Dragonball that really convinced me that manga was better for me than anime. When I started reading Berserk, I was completely convinced. The best thing about manga is that its mostly made by one person, (with assistance sometimes) telling the story they want to tell. But yeah, the best part is finding obscure/under rated stuff and trying to tell everyone why it rocks. Right now I have about 800+ volumes with no signs of stopping, damn, my omnivorous tastes...
I've never really liked shojo that much though...I give it a try but its just not my thing.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I've never gotten it when anime fans go "I don't read manga", I got into manga only because I saw it as another aspect of the anime fandom, why don't other people seem to see this? I got into manga within maybe 6 months of getting into anime! And there's so many good manga that never got an anime and several that only got partial adaptations, I just like one would be limiting themselves by only watching anime.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm personally not a manga fan because I'm not really interested in the medium of comics as a whole. I got into anime via my general interest in animation, so I never explored that side of things. I kind of find reading comics/manga to be rather tiresome; I'd far rather see everything in motion, with voicework and music, or just read a good-old-fashioned novel of the same story. There are one or two manga titles (like Nausicaa) that I'm vaguely interested in, but beyond that, I'm fine with staying on the anime side of the pasture.
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
-after the Urasawa works (love 20th Century Boys so far, and since I loved the first anime set but Viz apparently screwed us beyond that, I'll be picking up the manga of Monster soon) and xxxHolic, what was the other title Ed was recommending? The one that was sadly lacking in feedback?

I believe that was Moyasimon, with (I think) two volumes currently out from Del Rey. I've been meaning to check it out sometime myself..

Yes, it's Moyashimon. The second Del Rey volume has all of these comments in the sidebars, apparently added just for the American edition, where the author is calling out to American fans to see if we're here. Hopefully the podcast will reach him in one form or another.

The first volume came out in September 2009, and the second in June 2010. The third is scheduled, apparently, for March 2011. They're on volume 11 in Japan now, and there's rumors and rumbling that Del Rey may want out of the manga game now that the bubble's popped.

It would be great if all microbiology and fermentation fans went out and picked it up. The mangaka says he wants to be able to give us American-exclusive cel phone straps if it's a hit!
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed this podcast, and Deb and Ed's talk. It makes me want to go write more reviews Smile
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
that was a great show made me really appreciate Manga more however I'm one of those manga/anime bloggers that get's no feed back form anyone but ultimately I just do it because I like it and I enjoy writing. As far as short series for me you cant go wrong with (if you like Shojo) Suki by Clamp one of the most "normal" relationships I have seen in a Clamp manga but it's been out of print for a while so it might be hard to come by.

Also kudos for Ed Sizemore giving a "tip of the hat" to four panel manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

-sigh, well I guess I'm scratching Reborn off my future-list. It wasn't too high up there, but shonen tackling mafia was something I was interested in seeing. Granted, only Deb was criticizing it and no one else was saying anything, but she seemed down on it that it almost feels weird to be interested in it now Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Given that Deb was also down on Soul Eater I think that it's more that shonen series are not her thing. I have heard good things from manga fans who love shonen so I would still look into it if your a fan of shonen.

Not that I mean any disrespect for Deb, it's just that their's few reviewers out their that like every genre, for example I would be a horrible person to talk to shoujo about since I don't like most of it.
loka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I've observed the same trend - serious manga fans are almost always readers of other formats, while I can never seem to get anime fans who don't read to pick up a manga.

About soul eater... I don't really like reading action manga. It's one thing to read an action scene written by someone like Neal Stephenson, but still frames with 'rush lines' just don't do it for me. Now the quality of soul eater over every other teen shounen action series does have me reading it.

Isn't the ANN encyclopedist working on a design for reference/"you may like this" list generation?

Ed - if you like 4-koma, I recommend Suzunari and Seitokai Yakuindomo.

Recommended short manga: Goth, Doujin Work, Anne Freaks, Girl Who Runs Through Time

Top few manga I'd like to see licensed:
Otaku no Musume-san
Elfen Lied
Good Morning Call
Oniichan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki ja Nai n da kara ne!!
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
But you also have to accept the risk of the review being written by someone with radically different tastes then you. As such, you could miss out on shows you might actually enjoy. But, I guess it's up to everyone to decide if it's wroth it.

Yes, well note that I said I read multiple reviews. Also, it's fairly easy to discern whether or not I'll enjoy something even with a negative review or from someone with vastly different tastes. Good reviews explain what is in the book or show and what they liked and disliked and I can match that up with what I like and dislike. See, easy. But you actually have to read the review and not just look at the letter grade or whatever.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm an IT guy and like anime lol

can ANN make a poll on what's people occupation?

i think crunchyroll is good. crunchyroll everything over is a good thing. Alot of none popular shows that they are bring over have fans

more options is better than less options.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
This was one of my favorite episodes to date. I pay attention to the manga blogosphere, so it was interesting hearing from them. There definitely is a difference between anime and manga fans, but to me it's always a little weird when an anime fan doesn't read manga, or vice versa, because to me they're just different parts of the same hobby.

About Moyashimon, it's a bit sad to hear that, and kind of frustrating because the blame is 100% on Del Rey. It's understandable to give a series a slow release rate because you won't think it'll sell....but one volume a year? And not putting an ounce of effort into marketing it? Why bother publishing it at all?

As for the Reborn comments, they were funny, though I am a fan (not only do I have every volume released, I have the artbook too). The first few volumes are definitely a slog if you don't know what comes later. Once it does change, it's typical Jump, which should be enough to let you know if you'd like it or not. As for me, I can't help but love it. I'm an unabashed lover of shonen, and Reborn hits the spot. It's not the best manga, and certainly not the best shonen, and I'm fully aware it's fujoshi bait, but it's fun. The one thing that bothered me about the Reborn comments was the same thing that bothers me about the manga blogosphere in general (and the ANN manga forums): the snobby dismissal of all things shonen (with a few exceptions). I enjoy Pluto just as much as I enjoy One Piece or Bleach...I just enjoy them for different reasons and get different things out of them. But whatever, to each their own.

That story about the Italian manga was pretty crazy. I can't imagine something like that happening here.

And Astral Project is great!!! I picked up the first two volumes in my mad dash to get CMX titles before they're gone (including Swan and Chikyu Misaki), and I've been loving the heck out of it. I'm also a jazz fan, so it's nice to have a manga related to jazz.
Zade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I actually don't like the comic art form either. I don't know why but it's just not my thing.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Top few manga I'd like to see licensed:
Elfen Lied

If you've seen the anime, you don't really need the manga. The only really noticeable change from the adapted material is the removal of a character that serves no purpose other than to cater to a specific fetish, and the second half of the series that was never adapted into anime just gets stupid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5