• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Super Manga Pals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Which always made me curious, okay I know about most of the female mangaka for shonen (any for seinen though, besides CLAMP and the lady who does Hidamari Sketch), but have any male mangaka done shojo? Preferably examples that have been licensed.

Patalliro, the longest running shojo manga is drawn by a guy. But its kind of hard to tell.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
But you also have to accept the risk of the review being written by someone with radically different tastes then you. As such, you could miss out on shows you might actually enjoy. But, I guess it's up to everyone to decide if it's wroth it.

That's one of the things I've noticed about reviews, but the worst thing is people who swallow them as complete gospel..

I tend to read some fan-site's revews of te current Amazing Spider-Man series, and this one guy who reviews the series, his reviews read ore like angry diatribes against the series, and they sem to be increasingly filled with mis-information as to what's actually hapening on the page.

And of course, many of the people will commen on it saying things like "Wow, it's that bad? I'm glad I don't read that comic anymore."

Of course these people aren't getting the whole story, they're getting a distorted version of half he story.

Also, my first real kick into Manga (and subsequently comics as a whole) was Shonen Jump #5. Bu that was probably more or less because of the whole Yu-Gi-Oh craze, and it featured Yugi on the cover.

I still have it and several other subsequent (though sparsely collected) books now, and several other single series books (Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo) I have the most of, for now.

Wow, for having only read two pages of this thread and not actually listend to the cast (I'm saving it for Friday night; it's more interesting to me Friday night's, I don't know why) that was a lotta post.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:54 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
I think the big draw of anime over manga is that anime has bright colours, movement, the characters are voiced, and there's pleasant music to listen to.

I quite concur. I desire entertainment of a passive sort, wherein actions and sounds are impressed upon me instead of inferred from static imagery.

Presumably, well-read consumers of manga are quite competent in voicing rebuttals to such philistinism as mine. Perhaps the pleasures obtained from employing one's imagination to animate the panels of a graphic novel are of comparable or superlative vivacity. Perhaps one can revel in the author's greater control of the rate at which the passage of fictional time is depicted, amongst other things. Perhaps there even exist further pleasures of a sort that is somewhat alien to those with my restricted interests.

I shan't make further presumptions of these ways by which a person may be motivated to read as well as watch, for I am sure that relevant fans shall inform me of such arguments in greater detail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

Which always made me curious, okay I know about most of the female mangaka for shonen (any for seinen though, besides CLAMP and the lady who does Hidamari Sketch), but have any male mangaka done shojo? Preferably examples that have been licensed.

The only one I can think of is Name of the Flower by Ken Saito, published by CMX. It's a great little series, only 4 volumes long.

Cool, I'll look into it, thanks! :)

I'm pretty sure Ken Saito is a woman, just using a "male" pen name. (Same goes for twin sisters Shigeyoshi Takagi and Satoshi Morie, as well as Kyousuke Motomi). Meca Tanaka (Omukae desu. (CMX) and Pearl Pink (Tokyopop)) is a guy though. I think I've seen more male shoujo mangaka as manga characters than heard of them in real life. But maybe they're just keeping that information private?

But Name of the Flower is still an excellent series worth checking out! There were also two volumes of her other title Oh! My Brother released by CMX.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
[quote="Lys"][quote="doctordoom85"][quote="PrettyKitty20034"]
doctordoom85 wrote:

I think I've seen more male shoujo mangaka as manga characters than heard of them in real life. But maybe they're just keeping that information private?

The funny thing about that is untill the mid 1960s most Shojo mangaka where men.
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote
Lys wrote:

I'm pretty sure Ken Saito is a woman, just using a "male" pen name. (Same goes for twin sisters Shigeyoshi Takagi and Satoshi Morie, as well as Kyousuke Motomi). Meca Tanaka (Omukae desu. (CMX) and Pearl Pink (Tokyopop)) is a guy though. I think I've seen more male shoujo mangaka as manga characters than heard of them in real life. But maybe they're just keeping that information private?

But Name of the Flower is still an excellent series worth checking out! There were also two volumes of her other title Oh! My Brother released by CMX.

Really? Interesting. I just assumed because of the name I guess. The series does have a sort of different tone than a lot of shoujo romance, in that it doesn't come across as a wish fulfillment fantasy for teenage girls. It was more senstive and understated than a lot of what that gets published here. Excellent series and I'm at least grateful that CMX finished it.
Losstarot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Inuyasha, does anybody remember that "commercial" that Adult Swim made of Inuyasha and Kagome just yelling each other's names for half a minute? Always got a chuckle out of me.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
...... O. Parts Hunter ......

Oh my gosh, thank you for reminding me of this series. I only got up to volume 5 before I fell into a money crunch and stopped buying a lot of series, but this is one that I'd definitely like to finish, especially considering it's only 19 volumes. Viz should be getting close to finishing it, I'd imagine, if they haven't already.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I will admit, I'm a more avid anime-watcher than I am a manga-reader. Several manga I've gotten into because I enjoyed the anime but the anime is incomplete or took a different direction and the manga has a longer storyline (i.e. Please Save My Earth, 3x3 Eyes, Soul Eater, FMA).

There are several reasons for this. One, music affects me greatly. Any emotion apparent in a scene can be amplified ten times through just the appropriate music alone (one reason I love AMVs). Like, I recently watched the last few episodes of Brotherhood and the way the second-to-last episode ended spoiler[with Hohenheim dying] hit me several times harder than just seeing it in the manga. The music accompanied with the scene made my eyes get watery. I guess, one could argue, that I could play music while reading manga, but that would require finding the correct music to fit the scene. I'd much rather have an animated feature where the music is crafted for the scenes.

Two, while I normally keep anime/manga as a personal hobby, I still love sharing it with people. If I can find friends to share with, I'm always eager to get together and watch. Anime allows me the opportunity to share in what I love - we can sit and experience the same thing at the same time and then gab over it. Manga is a lot harder to share, other than just letting the other people borrow your stuff. I've tried convincing friends to read certain series because they're really good, but I'm not always successful.

Three, price and time. Unless if the manga series is short, I can normally get an anime series cheaper than I can collecting the entire manga. Also, the time it takes to release the whole anime series usually doesn't take as long as the manga (depending upon its popularity and length).

I find I prefer reading manga, however, for a majority of shounen and slice-of-life series, mainly due to the pacing. Shounen series can have some amazing animated fight scenes; however, scenes can get really drawn out. I remember watching Naruto and Neji's fight and thinking to myself, "Wow, what only took me 5 minutes to read is now being drawn out to almost 2 full episodes." If I'm not drawn in to the moment I notice these things and they bug me. With slice-of-life series, I can easily become bored if watching the anime. The manga, on the other hand, allows me to set my own pace - if I'm in the mood to really capture the atmosphere I can take it slow, and if not then I can skim pretty fast.

Also, I resort to manga for the more niche titles or OOP series (i.e. Maison Ikkoku - both the anime and manga are OOP, however, I'm less likely to spend an arm and a leg collecting the manga)... oh, and also yuri.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:

Also, I resort to manga for the more niche titles or OOP series ...

Yea, I find I'm drawn to more horror manga, rather than horror anime, for that reason. There just isn't that much good horror anime, in my opinion.

But it really comes down to creators -- there are creators on both sides of the divide who are interested in what I'm interested in: what it means to be human, what the nature of reality really is, how perception plays into all that, etc, etc.

On the anime side, Satoshi Kon was a shining light for me. On the manga side, Taiyo Matsumoto explores similar psychological and "surreal" ground. There just aren't enough creators on either side to completely satiate me. So I dip into both sides to find what I'm looking for.
debaoki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
[quote="doctordoom85"]Deb, I'm curious as to why you didn't care for Soul Eater's manga, yeah the art starts off kind of weak, but it gets better and honestly the anime and manga follow the exact same story for all the establishing chapters and the first major arc. Yes, the animation and music are solid in the anime, this is BONES after all, but switching to the manga shouldn't be THAT much of a downgrade. Just curious to know why the manga version didn't click for you.
Which always made me curious, okay I know about most of the female mangaka for shonen (any for seinen though, besides CLAMP and the lady who does Hidamari Sketch), but have any male mangaka done shojo? Preferably examples that have been licensed.[/quote]

As far as Soul Eater, I guess I just found the story hard to follow, and maybe the humor didn't really click for me. It was a bit chaotic and it felt a little pointless... why are these kids doing what they do? Why do they even hang out with each other? Are they just eccentric archetypes thrown together for no good reason? I appreciated the manic, Tim Burton-esque design of the world that Soul Eater exists in and its good-natured energy, but the story just didn't interest me.

now as far as male shojo manga-ka...

Hm. the current one that immediately comes to mind is Kyousuke Motomi, the creator of Dengeki Daisy (http://shojobeat.com/manga/dkd/vols.php)and Beast Master(http://shojobeat.com/manga/bm/vols.php).

I'm sure there are more, but given that even many shojo manga-ka are reluctant to post their photos (for fear of looking too "old" to be relatable to their young fans, much less being a different gender), we may never know for sure. (example: I interviewed Arina Tanemura a few years back and was told to absolutely not to photograph her, even though she was a really cute and charming person in her late 20's/early 30's.)

this is interesting, because prior to the late 1960's, a lot of shojo manga was drawn by male comics creators -- such as Reiji Matsumoto (Galaxy 999), Tetsuya Chiba (Ashita no Joe), Shotaro Ishinomori (Cyborg 009) and of course Osamu Tezuka (Ribon no Kishi). go figure, huh?
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm listenin' to the podcast (in fact, I've been steadily working my way through the ANNcast back-catalog while at work), and this one gave me something to think about.

There was a time in my life when I was more interested in manga than in anime, and I'd go seek out random unlicensed series and give them a spin, just to see what I thought and what was out there. I found some interesting stuff that way, and of course a lot of rubbish too.

These last few years, though, I've realized that the see-saw has really pivoted on the fulcrum - I watch a lot of anime, but my manga consumption is really lean. I haven't bought much manga lately, and even when I buy it, it takes forever for me to get around to reading it. Part of it is just being busy, and having a bunch of hobbies all jostling around asking for time, but it still makes me wonder why manga gets the short end of the stick from me so often.

Ultimately, I think there are two reasons for it.

A) A lot of the new series being released, I'm just not that interested in. I used to have several series that I'd pick up volumes of (GTO, Blade of the Immortal, Rurouni Kenshin, Here is Greenwood, among others), but these days, the manga I see are either a manga that has an anime counterpart I end up thinking is better (Honey and Clover comes to mind), or just has some concept that makes me groan or want to hit my head with the spine of the book within the first ten pages.

It's not just that it's manga that seems skewed toward younger readers - I think if I was 16 again, I still wouldn't feel drawn toward titles like Vampire Knight or Negima. It's more like...lots of manga are devoid of an attraction point for me. I look at the shelf and some stuff sounds like it could be interesting, but "Is it interesting enough that I would purchase it?" In most cases, that ends up being a no.

B) More importantly, I think that now, I'm actually looking for something different in manga than what anime is offering up, and I'm not getting it (aside from releases of older stuff, like Tezuka's manga, or that new compilation from Moto Hagio, which I do need to check out at some point). It's hard to explain what that "difference" is, but to put it sarcastically, I might describe it as "a manga that pulls you in, that you can relate to or empathize with on a human level, and features good art and writing, to the extent that it's exactly the kind of incisive content they wouldn't option for a TV series these days." I still love a good shonen action fight, and have a fairly wide berth in my tastes, but I'm looking for manga to step up and be more literate, if that makes sense.

I think the only manga I've bought this year was most of the VizBig volumes of Vagabond, and even then, I've yet to start reading the series. And the copy of Solanin that has been keeping me company on my couch for the better part of a year that I really should read because it's right there. I know, I'm bad. And I think, "If I have stuff I'm pretty sure I'll like, right here, and I haven't even gotten to that, should I really be going out buying more manga?"
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote
I love FMP, and I got my dad to fall in love with it as well. he likes it just as much as me. I think one of the reason the show works is souske and kaname's relationship. as for reborn I watch the anime version of it (I am up to episode 32), and I can say that the non action episodes sometimes make me cringe due to the over characterization of so many characters. however reborn and his antics make me laugh and smile. also I enjoy many of the action segments.
I am a huge fan of Tantei Gakuen Q, it is a great mystery series I think. the characters are somewhat generic and the reason for the cases can also be generic HOWEVER the tricks to each case are amazing, (the anime does butcher the manga to a good degree) in a similar way to another work by the same author "kindaichi case files" which tokyopop dropped due to low sales, because mystery anime/manga don't sell in the US. so for me TGQ is my hidden gem, there is no universal hidden gem that has not been licensed in the us (obviously giving some time for them to be licensed in the US). however if you have specific interest (that are outside anime) then you probably can find some title that you love that is yours and is not being released in the US and that you might have to work to see more of it (thus you get the scantalators and fansubbers).
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
So much Reborn bashing xD But as a Reborn fan, I laughed. I really don't suggest reading the English volumes. Seriously. The translations are so horrible, you'll want to punch a baby in the face. You'll want to kick a starving puppy into the street!... Okay, that's dark and sad. But you get my point.

I get the feeling I should watch Heat Guy J to get the lulz... Or maybe I should avoid it as much as possible.

I got into manga before anime. I always make it a point to see which came first, the anime or manga series. Things like Code Geass where the manga came second I might not read. If the manga was first I'll try to find it in my library, then I'll look for scans if it's not available to me in English.

My first manga was going to be Museum of Terror, but my brother said I was too young >_> So I took volume 2 of Fullmetal Alchemist from a stack he took from the library. I read it and my first thought was "Why does that lady have enormous boobs?" Then I thought "Holy **** this is interesting..." I read all the English volumes available and then I found out there was a show. Since then, I've made it a point to read the manga first. I don't think I'd be able to only watch the anime knowing that there's a manga series.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Good Show. Cheers to Robin for her wedding.

I liked Zac's line about 'shaking the bag' regarding Ramna. Nice visual that sums it up well..

I though it was notable(and commendable) that Deb Aoki was willing to say that had she read other's reviews(regarding that one manga, at least) that it would have likely coloured her opinion. It made me wonder how often this...what? peer pressure? hive mind? herd mentality?...creeps in and replaces both individuality and intellect. I'm not pointing this out as a weakness, I think most people are susceptible to this. It's good to hear that through her awareness of herself she actively avoids such a situation. Thanks for the honesty.

I've heard the 'if you liked X then you'll like Y' brought up before and I agree that it's not much help, *but* I that's unless it's quantified in some way. I think there's nothing wrong with someone drawing the threads together but it needs some kind of calibration. If they started to discuss X in a way similar to my own outlook then I would find it promising. If not then who knows? I think too much of Anime promotion has been slight of hand.

I had forgotten how Bleach had been in the beginning. Thru the serialization in Shonen Jump I had remained aware of it. Most of the time groaning over what seems to be an endless string of funny names, introductions and drawn out fights. Nice artwork tho.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5