• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-09-17]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:56 am Reply with quote
I'll say this now: Reborn's beginning animation/manga drawings are shitty. It's also a bit boring and deprived of any story in the first episodes/chapters. I'd give it till the Kokuyo arc. And bi-shonens. MANY OF THEM. Definitely a love it or hate it type.

The manga's official translations kill me. I can't stand them... (Gokudera sounds like he's from the country...) As for FUNi... Either they want their hands on it, or it was just ass kissing to the company in general.

Th-the bunnies... Their cuteness kills me!!!
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
Some foreign none-Japanese cartoons get R1 releases. You can search around for copies of Waltz with Bashir, or Persepolis. I know The Triplets of Belleville got a R1 release. So yeah, things definitely get brought over here.

But yeah, I'd love to see a R1 release of Nocturna, Technotise, Prince Vladimir, or even some classics like Gwen, le livre de sable.

I'd totally be down for some of these familiar and reliable companies bringing over some of these sweet titles.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:50 am Reply with quote
Generally I use Crunchyroll, Youtube, and Hulu to get my anime, and I occasionally buy it if I love it.

I just started to use Netflix but right now the anime streaming option is low, and and dvds take sometime, though I have watched the Cowboy Bebop the movie(good), Castle of Cagliostro(great), and Ponyo (complete crap). It has several tv shows like Ghost in the shell, and Funimation is going to start putting their work on it starting in a few weeks. Can't wait to see Claymore.
Elves

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:06 am Reply with quote
Good job, Zac. The venom of the past, which I remember, was no where near as potent in this column. Much more light hearted - the long hiatus gave you a chance to recoup, ne? Wink That banner IS awesome, I wondered why there was so much "anger" seething from it, at least until I read the intro. lol

P.S. I love the abuse of power - it's so cute! Anime hyper
Fellistowe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
Bunny No1 does it for me; that's a Barrel-o-Cuteness right there Wink
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:51 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
Some foreign none-Japanese cartoons get R1 releases. You can search around for copies of Waltz with Bashir, or Persepolis. I know The Triplets of Belleville got a R1 release. So yeah, things definitely get brought over here.

But yeah, I'd love to see a R1 release of Nocturna, Technotise, Prince Vladimir, or even some classics like Gwen, le livre de sable.

I don't remember much about Prince Vladimir, but I've been longing for R1/R2u.k., english subbed releases of the other three for between one and three years (different for each film). Myself, I'd also love to see releases for Valhalla, The White Mare's Son, Nezha Conquers the Dragon King, Vinni Puh (3 short films, it's Winnie the Pooh done by a russian animation studio, and contrary to the claims made by The Simpsons about russian animation with that Worker and Parasite cartoon, it's utterly beautiful) and many others (I just listed ones I'd actually seen from start to finish for my own additions as otherwise there'd be way too many).

I also really enjoyed The Triplets of Belleville and Persepolis, unfortunately I haven't got around to seeing Waltz With Bashir, thought it's on my Amazon wishlist.
loka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:08 am Reply with quote
crunchyroll missed Angel Beats. they missed Arakawa Under the Bridge and House of Five Leaves. they missed Baka to Test and Seitokai Yakuindomo. every season this year they don't have the best shows. it's a sad thing indeed that there are people out there that believe crunchyroll streams enough anime already. certainly enough crap.

at least they have mitsudomoe. anyway, just wanted to point out that yes, crunchyroll is "where you want to go to be on top of things" if those things include all the crap and little-to-none of the better stuff.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:15 am Reply with quote
HE RETURNS AND THERE IS ... lack of spite.

Woah you must be out of it.

Anyway I still have your ninja pal death threats printed and located beside my bed.

And the little bunny rabbit too.

After a crappy day I read it ... for obvious reasons.

Though good to see the Howl's picture again, but Brian is just as good ^^
Etrien

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:45 am Reply with quote
That banner just made my evening..!

And it is interesting to me that, despite the swing towards more shoujo and especially BL in the US, the dominating fujoshi-appealing shounen comics seem scarce.

Right now, Hetalia, Inazuma Eleven, Reborn!, and Gintama are juggernauts here in terms of popularity with teenage girls, enough that I just consider them "the big four." Excluding Hetalia, I can't think of a shoujo title that even compares. (Kimi ni Todoke would probably be the closest..?)

I can't help but assume they'd make more headway with those titles if they tried marketing them directly towards girls. (Although who knows - Funimation's release of Hetalia might just be a success.)
rabrek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:01 am Reply with quote
I'd note that The Secret of Kells gets a R1 release in a few weeks, and it's totally worth seeing.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(and I say crap because based on the last couple of seasons, most of it is actually quantifiably crap, not just “crap” where “crap” means “stuff”)

While I will admit, there have been many things I passed on because it looked like crap, I think some of the stuff they picked up in the last three seasons to be enjoyable.
loka wrote:
crunchyroll missed Angel Beats. they missed Arakawa Under the Bridge and House of Five Leaves. they missed Baka to Test and Seitokai Yakuindomo. every season this year they don't have the best shows. it's a sad thing indeed that there are people out there that believe crunchyroll streams enough anime already. certainly enough crap.

Did you really expect anybody to simulcast Angel Beats? I didn't, I mean, that had to have been an expensive license. And I mean, House of Five Leaves was already picked up by FUNi anyway, since they had that noitaminA deal.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote
The person that asked about Bleach's antagonist getting more powerful should read this weeks chapter.

I agree with the sentiment though; These shonen jump titles are always better when it is about skill (ala Dragon Ball, and very early Dragon Ball Z) and not getting a ridiculous power up at the right time out of nowhere to beat the guy that had just done an "unbeatable" power up of his own. I'd much rather watch a show (or read a manga) where Ichigo has to use his swordsmanship skills to beat opponents, rather than his...uhh...transformations I guess. Much in the same way that I loved watching Goku train like a mad man for every single tournament in Dragon Ball (and actually lose some mind you), I'd love to see that type of thing for Ichigo. It's not going to happen though, and Kubo has really backed himself into a situation where there isn't a whole lot of room for character growth in Ichigo (not in his power anyway. Unless he taps into the "Golden Energy" like on Studio Pierrots other famous shonen series). I'd be shocked if this wasn't the ultimate or at least the penultimate arc of Bleach (it should be considering the reveals in the last chapter)

That the anime only went to filler for one week makes me think that they know the end is neigh for the manga, and that they'll be able to properly end the anime without going to a filler arc. I could be wrong, but at the rate they are going, they are only six or seven episodes away from getting to where the manga is now (ten or so if they drag their feet). They seem to enjoy being further behind than that. I'm probably wrong though; No one would let a cash cow like Bleach die.

Last edited by captainbanana on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
Kubo said like last year that he has one more mega-arc planned after this one. (Then again, he also said the arc was supposed to be finished in July so yeah...)
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:01 am Reply with quote
only person that uses zune...meh
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
That banner just made my evening..!

And it is interesting to me that, despite the swing towards more shoujo and especially BL in the US, the dominating fujoshi-appealing shounen comics seem scarce.

Right now, Hetalia, Inazuma Eleven, Reborn!, and Gintama are juggernauts here in terms of popularity with teenage girls, enough that I just consider them "the big four." Excluding Hetalia, I can't think of a shoujo title that even compares. (Kimi ni Todoke would probably be the closest..?)

I can't help but assume they'd make more headway with those titles if they tried marketing them directly towards girls. (Although who knows - Funimation's release of Hetalia might just be a success.)

Well I don't know how they would, I mean it's not like the covers of Reborn and Ginatama are a bunch of guys making out or hanging around a girl. Vampire Knight, and Black Butler's covers sell themselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4