• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ikkitousen: Dragon Destiny.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
So, this title was scheduled to release back in August of this year. Then, it was pushed back to October. Now, it has been pushed back to March of 2011. This is what I've been lead to believe by Rightstuf's website as I did pre-order a copy back in August. Is something wrong?

With the 4th installment of the series already aired in Japan and the very long delay of the 2nd season reaching the U.S., what am I to think of this delay?

I know delays happen, but I've been waiting for this series since the original(season 1) was completed and sold as a box set. Yes, I paid nearly $80 for the series when released by Geneon. But it has been nearly 3 years since then.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I see the Media Blasters brain trust strikes again. The president of that company really needs to find some other occupation more suited to his "talents." Whatever they may be. I mean, it's hard to make Viz and Bandai look competent, but Media Blasters some how manages it.

Really gives you confidence in the success of their recently announced kiosk initiative, doesn't it? A company that can't get a friggin' already completed and dubbed series to the street is going to launch a kiosk operation? Yeah, right. Laughing
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
So, this title was scheduled to release back in August of this year. Then, it was pushed back to October. Now, it has been pushed back to March of 2011. This is what I've been lead to believe by Rightstuf's website as I did pre-order a copy back in August. Is something wrong?

With the 4th installment of the series already aired in Japan and the very long delay of the 2nd season reaching the U.S., what am I to think of this delay?

I know delays happen, but I've been waiting for this series since the original(season 1) was completed and sold as a box set. Yes, I paid nearly $80 for the series when released by Geneon. But it has been nearly 3 years since then.

As per the recent article still on the front page. MB was apparently in trouble and solved it by partnering with a distributor to release their titles for them. They will start releasing titles again in December.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
My own theory for the Dragon Destiny and Queen's Blade Complete Collection delays - and it's got nothing to do with warehouse/distribution problems - is that they are milking the sales of the single volumes for as long as they can. For example, TRSI is currently selling the three volumes of Dragon Destiny for $18 each, meaning the whole series would cost $54. When DD complete collection FINALLY does come out, TRSI is indicating it will be selling it for slightly less than $27. I'm willing to bet DD and Queen's Blade singles are still selling relatively well compared to other singles.

SO STOP BUYING THE SINGLES, FOLKS. Only when that biz slows down will MB finally release the complete collections (is my speculation).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, when I started buying the singles for DD they hadn't announced the collection and there usually wasn't a collection for years and years after the singles are released as per standard practice for MB and I didn't feel like waiting that long. When they finally did, it's coming out the same damn day as volume 3 which really pissed me off since I could have waited and got them all in one shot. Then they added insult to injury by delaying it like 3 or 4 times. Evil or Very Mad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
@ Kruszer - if it's any consolation and if my theory is right, I think you'll find that volume 3 comes out before the complete collection. Right now, TRSI is still showing the release date for volume 3 as Oct 26 as opposed to March 31 of NEXT EFFIN' YEAR for the complete collection. Rolling Eyes Mind you, it may be that TRSI simply hasn't gotten around to updating the volume 3 info.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
Well, the place I have it pre-ordered at just sent me this:

Quote:
A few weeks ago, we told you your order would be shipped by now. Unfortunately, the vendor has been unable to deliver the item(s). We are hopeful that the item will be in stock within the next 21 days. We will reserve your item on backorder and ship to you as soon as the product is available. If you ordered with a credit card, you will not be charged until the item ships.

So yeah, looks like I'm in for another long haul.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
So yeah, looks like I'm in for another long haul.

You probably aren't the only one. Though I guess I haven't been keeping up with the US release of Ikkitousen, I thought the second season had already been brought out state side. Considering the 3rd season aired awhile back (haven't watched either but own the first season), figured they would be getting release dates for the 3rd already.

Moral of the Story?:
Wait for boxed sets outright, a number of people already learned this by the debauchery that was Kannon 2006 & Rozen Maiden, among several other releases. If you want single disks, I do highly recommend waiting until all the disks for the set have been released or the boxed set comes out.

The argument against this is of course some titles won't get picked up because single sales will be nil. However, in defense of such a claim, look how much longer some releases take, and even changes of companies (Kannon and Rozen Maiden both were finished by Funimation releasing an already finished work of Geneon, and it was not quick). In this age of anime (a rapid state of decline), I do hope companies and patrons alike keep going with the "lets get the finished product" mentality.

People like having the "whole enchilada", not pieces of a story.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
@ Steel Angel - fortunately, most R1 distribs are/have abandoned the singles model. Media Blasters announced a while back they won't be releasing any more titles in the single volume format, praise Jesus.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Kruszer - if it's any consolation and if my theory is right, I think you'll find that volume 3 comes out before the complete collection. Right now, TRSI is still showing the release date for volume 3 as Oct 26 as opposed to March 31 of NEXT EFFIN' YEAR for the complete collection. Rolling Eyes Mind you, it may be that TRSI simply hasn't gotten around to updating the volume 3 info.

Maybe they haven't updated, but I DID see volume 3 of IT: DD at my local FYE last week. so maybe it's out but not all of the shipments have been sent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, it will get here when it gets here I guess. I've waited this long for it anyway... Neutral

As for buying it at physical places, that's impossible since my local Best Buy has the monopoly on anime and they don't even carry any Media Blasters titles, no Sentai or Nozomi either for that matter. If I want something that isn't mainstream or isn't from Funimation, Bandai, or VIZ it's gotta' be bought online.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1