• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Roger Ebert Reviews Steamboy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sketchee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Ebert reviews a lot of anime. Mostly Miyazaki but quite a few others. I've seen him give many high marks that had hardly any mainstream appeal.

On Steamboy, I've seen mixed reviews among animation fans so I'm not too suprised.

Of course, there are few of us like every anime ever made. I hope Steamboy is better than Metropolis (which I thought was boring and sometimes awful) Very Happy
OTP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Pop-Art Samurai wrote:
Because they aren't stupid maybe?

The cut and dubbed version is supposed to be released in more theaters. The uncut subbed version is playing in more "select" venues.

The obvious reason being that this way those who refuse to watch something dubbed may have a chance to see it the way they want; and the 'general public' who would likely be turned off by the idea of subtitles are more likely to go see it because it looks cool etc. So the studio probably figures that this way they can make money off both the general public and the anime elitists.

Your logic is horribly flawed. If they wanted to do that, they didn't need to shorten the dubbed version.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
OTP wrote:
Pop-Art Samurai wrote:
Because they aren't stupid maybe?

The cut and dubbed version is supposed to be released in more theaters. The uncut subbed version is playing in more "select" venues.

The obvious reason being that this way those who refuse to watch something dubbed may have a chance to see it the way they want; and the 'general public' who would likely be turned off by the idea of subtitles are more likely to go see it because it looks cool etc. So the studio probably figures that this way they can make money off both the general public and the anime elitists.

Your logic is horribly flawed. If they wanted to do that, they didn't need to shorten the dubbed version.

If anything, shortening the dubbed version will make it easier to sell to retail outlets when the DVD comes out, and to various TV networks a while after that.

Although I, too, am puzzled about the dubbed version. Given how limited the theatrical run is, why bother showing the shortened version? They'd get just as much of a turnout by playing the subtitled print THAT THEY'VE HAD READY SINCE LAST YEAR.

But then, I enjoyed the hell out of the dub. Otomo himself did the edits, so that's cool, and Alfred Molina kicked ass. Patrick Stewart ditto. Anna Paquin... was pretty good. Kept her accent up real well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vilemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Get a sense of perspective.
He's one person out of millions of moviegoers.
Well, duh!! Anyone who gets mad because ebert doesn't like a movie is just stupid.
This sums you retards up: "I'm angry and full of hate because one guy doesn't like a movie." Rolling Eyes

I loved "gits Innocence", but most critics hated it. Now half of you think I'm a retarded monkey, and half of you agree and liked the film, and the other 'half' don't know there ass from there ear.

In conclusion:
Ebert is a dumb, fat, pie-eating, bloated hippo when you disagree with him. Evil or Very Mad
Ebert is a smart, savvy, hip and cool guy when you agree with him.Anime smile
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Heh, I don't care what Roger Ebert said. I enjoyed the movie, and that's all that matters to me. Wink

I think a critic's opinion is just something to read and see if you'll agree with AFTER you've seen the movie for yourself. Other than that I just watch movie reviews on TV as a way to see more sceens from a new movie. Smile

I recently saw Howl's Moving Castle which received a lot of good press and good reviews. But after I saw it and read the original book I thought it could have been better and less confusing in some parts. Although the subject of this discussion is Steam Boy (which I have not seen, so I personally will not pass judgement), I think everyone is subject to his or her opinion on this matter. What does it for some won't do it for others; it doesn't matter if you're a college student or a famous movie critic.
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Is it me, or is the title misspelled in the thread topic? Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
I'd like to see Steamboy, but no theaters around me are showing it. The only thing that worries me: why is Anna Paquin voicing a guy? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:23 am Reply with quote
ferrarimanf355 wrote:
Is it me, or is the title misspelled in the thread topic? Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
I'd like to see Steamboy, but no theaters around me are showing it. The only thing that worries me: why is Anna Paquin voicing a guy? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

In the Japanese version the main characte is also vocied by a woman.
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:05 am Reply with quote
Just came back from watching Steamboy and I think its not as good as I expected it to be. First the CG graphics and animation quality are spectacular. The sound and music are first class, too. But the most important thing is missing. And thats the story and character development. You never learn about the characters and the story has many holes. It seems that Otomo changed the story few times in the ten years of production and at the end the anime turnted into a big mess. I'd give it 3 out of 5 Rolling Eyes .
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:38 am Reply with quote
MasterFuu wrote:
The most important thing is missing. And thats the story and character development. You never learn about the characters and the story has many holes.

Definitely agree with you there. Visually, Steamboy is a masterpiece, but the storyline was difficult to follow, and the climax was too long. I also couldn't figure out whether Dr. Edward Steam was a villian or hero; he constantly went both sides thoroughout the movie.
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:35 am Reply with quote
You may want to specify which version you saw given that 20 minutes were cut from the re-dub.

From what I have heard of what was cut a few bits of dialogue that could contribute to the character development as well as some visual clues were removed.

As to why they cut it I can think of only two reasons:

1) To allow more showings in one day.

2) The old assumption that English dub fans won't sit still for slow parts.

In the days of VHS anime companies would often cut slow parts from the re-dub to pick up the pace which is why many VHS redubs were 5 to 10 minutes shorter than the subbed versions.
superdeformed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:57 am Reply with quote
Call me an elitist snob, but I think I'll wait for a DVD with an uncut subtitled version. I am sick of ADD America ruining movies for me. Well at least Otomo made the cuts, but cuts are still cuts.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jkid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:26 pm Reply with quote
superdeformed wrote:
Call me an elitist snob, but I think I'll wait for a DVD with an uncut subtitled version. I am sick of ADD America ruining movies for me. Well at least Otomo made the cuts, but cuts are still cuts.

Who's ADD America? And whats the point of shortening the dub if they can get more revenue by showing the uncut dub?
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I've been wonderin' when someone would say somethin' smart. It's all a matter of opinion, and judge a movie after you see it.
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:59 pm Reply with quote
What else can you expect from a edited English Dubbed Anime ? The movie was killed for me after hearing the Accents in movie trailor. I would like to see it of course.. but I would never want to watch it as it is now and I can only epect it will be released on DVD with little to no real quality put toward the original track. Oh well... Dubbie Fanboys keep giving them praise for shitting on anime and this is what you get.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
What else can you expect from a edited English Dubbed Anime ? The movie was killed for me after hearing the Accents in movie trailor. I would like to see it of course.. but I would never want to watch it as it is now and I can only epect it will be released on DVD with little to no real quality put toward the original track. Oh well... Dubbie Fanboys keep giving them praise for shitting on anime and this is what you get.

The movie was killed for you by hearing British accents on characters that are supposed to be British? Okay. . . .

How many DVDs have you actually purchased, BeyonderZ? I don't know of a single American company which skimps on quality with sub tracks in favor of dub tracks. Those people are professionals, after all.

As for all that crap about "Dubbie Fanboys," I'll disregard that for now because I don't want to start an argument over that again. You could stand to crank down the hostility a few notches, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3