• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Berserk Anime Project Launching

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leebo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
Well, I'll just have to disagree... outside of actual hentai, they seem to be content to air anything on TV.
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
Hrm. As always, I'm taking the "I'll believe it when I see it" approach.

That being said, does anyone else remember those "leaked" Berserk images from last year -- around the 20th Anniversary announcement? The ones supposedly released by Studio 4C?

These images here. Could there be a connection? O_o
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
Wow! Well, all I can say is I hope they get to arcs the first series didn't cover; I wants me some Serpico, damn it!

As for the mature content, I imagine a TV release would have some censorship that would then be removed on the DVD version. Because that happens a lot anymore as an incentive to purchase.

Now if only Miura would get off his butt and actually work on the series in a regular fashion; it doesn't even need to be fast, just one chapter a month would be better than the current pattern of three chapters then wait for who knows how long before the next set.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
What I'm more shocked about that the idea that the manga may be ending soon. Does that mean there will be more then 3 chapters released a year now? Its ridiculous that the US manga has caught up with the Japanese release for the most part.

I just hope they dont tone it down at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
I thought this day would never come. Some more details would be nice like whether its a TV series or an OVA. The name of the animation studio working on it, and if Susumu Hirasawa will be back to compose the music for it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
Awesome! Any kind of Berserkian anime would be welcome, but I do wish more deets were available at this time.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote
All right! I've been craving this since the Claymore anime fizzled out prematurely. I love me some giant sword swinging violence.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
Judging from Berserk's reputation, it's probably going to be a while before I feel comfortable reading it. Actually, I'll probably never be comfortable reading it, but I might someday be comfortable enough.

Kind of a pity, since part of its reputation is "really, really good."
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
As much as I want to believe this is a continuation of the original anime, I am gonna wait for the official details cause I just KNOW the chances are damn high it will end up being an OVA/remake.

Though I have always thought they were just waiting for more content to build up before doing another 24-26 episode anime arc, maybe they figure they have enough now.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'd prefer a series of OVAs, like Hellsing Ultimate. Just with a more timely release schedule.

Timely release schedule? Miura? Laughing

Point being: It can be timely until it catches up to where the manga is, then they will have to wait bout 5 years in between OVA's Razz

If they started at the beginning, with a monthly release, each episode about 40-50 minutes, they'd still have enough material to adapt for about 4 or 5 years.
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
JohnathanEnder wrote:
Hrm. As always, I'm taking the "I'll believe it when I see it" approach.

That being said, does anyone else remember those "leaked" Berserk images from last year -- around the 20th Anniversary announcement? The ones supposedly released by Studio 4C?

These images here. Could there be a connection? O_o

Those were an old April Fool's prank. Like when they announced an animated adaptation of Steel Ball Run.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Judging from Berserk's reputation, it's probably going to be a while before I feel comfortable reading it. Actually, I'll probably never be comfortable reading it, but I might someday be comfortable enough.

Kind of a pity, since part of its reputation is "really, really good."

It is without a doubt the goriest, most NC-17 thing I read. The first anime toned it down quite a bit (and cut out some threads, unfortunately) so you might start by watching that and see whether the story is enough to get you interested.

If you do decide to read it, bear in mind the first volume really sucks (I don't consider the first two chapters to be canon since there's all sorts of stuff in them that is contradicted later in the series) and while the first good arc starts with "The Guardians of Desire," it doesn't get really awesome until the third volume when we meet the Godhand.

That said, what makes it "really, really good" isn't just the action or the rich and imaginative world building. Underneath all the sex and violence there's a heart to Berserk. It invests itself in creating well-developed characters who grow and change and are filled with ambiguities.

It also has a really annoying fairy comic relief character later, but the less said about that the better... Wink
umbraltwilight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
Wow, how long has everyone said there is never going to be a sequel? I wonder if it's going to pick up where s1 left off. I'm only reading the manga now so just beginning to see the story beyond the anime so good timing for me.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote
They better have Puck in it this time! And I really hope they scroll through what the first series already had (though I would like to see all the content they missed cause there is quite a bit) I would like to see it done like Hellsing Ultimate, but it would fall into the same problem, the release dates. They started it in Feb 2006 and have only done 7 of them Mad
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
Holy cow, congrats to all the Berserk fans (not that I'm not one, but I haven't gotten around to sampling the manga yet). It's funny: I just law Berserk 2 listed on a joke version of one of those season preview images that get circulated a few weeks ago. Laughing

... That preview also showed Banner of the Stars IV... care to jump on the resurrection bandwagon, Sunrise? Or has it not been long enough?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
A direct continuation of the TV series would be impossible due the massive continuity issues that would result.

There's always the chance of a remake considering Full Metal Alchemist and Hellsing have gone the same route.

Quote:
There's no way that they'd be able to even get a TV-series remake on the air considering the content.

If High School of the Dead was able to get away with its content on AT-X, there shouldn't be much issue adapting it to a TV title if it goes that route.

But otherwise, can't wait to see what will be going on with the new Berserk anime adaptation. I personally own the first series on DVD. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15