• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Berserk Anime Project Launching

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitarist52692

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
http://www.younganimal.com/berserk/cm/index.html

The fact that they didn't show three shots from the leaked images, opting instead to repeat two clips (...one of which was already repeated earlier...) further proves that there's a larger project than just this advertising campaign. Why go to the trouble of modelling Puck, etc., if you're not going to use them? It's not as if they couldn't have shown a gory scene in the web-exclusive ad... the same website has the first chapter of Berserk available for viewing.

Many are expecting an official announcement in the next issue of Young Animal, due to be released soon.

Any idea what the date of Young Animal's release is? With Berserk's inconsistent release and the delay of scanslation, I never did get a grasp on YA's release schedule.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
guitarist52692 wrote:
Any idea what the date of Young Animal's release is? With Berserk's inconsistent release and the delay of scanslation, I never did get a grasp on YA's release schedule.

To be honest, neither did I, but I heard someone mention "next week".
guitarist52692

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
guitarist52692 wrote:

To be honest, neither did I, but I heard someone mention "next week".

Wiki wrote:

Young Animal (ヤングアニマル Yangu Animaru?) is a magazine in Japan that features seinen manga and scantily clad women. It is published by Hakusensha and issued on the second and fourth Friday of each month in saddle-stapled B5 format, selling for 310 yen.

Thankfully, wiki has our answer. Should be out this Friday then (This Thursday over here in the US, and there's always the possibility of a leak anytime before that.)

Last edited by guitarist52692 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
Thanks! There's no guarantee, but I'm hoping there'll be something. It wouldn't seem wise to leave things uncertain for too long, after building up so much hype.
Sima Yi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
I am really excited for this. The only thing I don't like is that we probably won't get our hands on a dub for this until 2013 or something. Probably late 2012 in the best case scenario. Crying or Very sad
guitarist52692

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
Sima Yi wrote:
I am really excited for this. The only thing I don't like is that we probably won't get our hands on a dub for this until 2013 or something. Probably late 2012 in the best case scenario. Crying or Very sad

That depends entirely upon what this project is. If it's a TV series, I can see it being licensed and starting work on the dub sometime in 2011-early 2012. Keep in mind that Media Blasters was willing to help finance more Berserk years ago, that's how successful it's been for them. I think they'd jump on the license for this ASAP, unless their financial situation is too dire right now. And if FUNi picks it up, I can see them potentially bringing back the old cast, just like they did for Tenchi Muyo and Slayers, and likely a few other series they second-hand licensed.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
guitarist52692 wrote:
Sima Yi wrote:

That depends entirely upon what this project is. If it's a TV series, I can see it being licensed and starting work on the dub sometime in 2011-early 2012. Keep in mind that Media Blasters was willing to help finance more Berserk years ago, that's how successful it's been for them. I think they'd jump on the license for this ASAP, unless their financial situation is too dire right now. And if FUNi picks it up, I can see them potentially bringing back the old cast, just like they did for Tenchi Muyo and Slayers, and likely a few other series they second-hand licensed.

I doubt they'll keep the original cast if FUNi picks this up, and to be honest i didn't like a lot of the English dub cast to begin with, the only person worth anything was Griffith, everyone else seemed...off.
Sima Yi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
I doubt they'll keep the original cast if FUNi picks this up, and to be honest i didn't like a lot of the English dub cast to begin with, the only person worth anything was Griffith, everyone else seemed...off.

Really? The definitive voice in the Berserk dub for me was Guts (Marc Diraison). I'm getting this sinking feeling that when this gets picked up, they'll get someone like Jamieson Price or Crispin Freeman to play Guts for the new project. I usually love both of those guys but I don't think they'd be right for Guts.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Sima Yi wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Really? The definitive voice in the Berserk dub for me was Guts (Marc Diraison). I'm getting this sinking feeling that when this gets picked up, they'll get someone like Jamieson Price or Crispin Freeman to play Guts for the new project. I usually love both of those guys but I don't think they'd be right for Guts.

he always sounded too deep to play the part, same would also go for the two you listed. for me though i hope if FUNi gets this they choose Travis Willingham for guts, he's got the perfect tone for this type of role.
guitarist52692

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Sima Yi wrote:
animehermit wrote:

he always sounded too deep to play the part, same would also go for the two you listed. for me though i hope if FUNi gets this they choose Travis Willingham for guts, he's got the perfect tone for this type of role.

Guts is the walking personification of machismo, how can his voice be too deep? I think that Marc Diraison was absolutely a perfect fit for Guts. Hell, it's been years since I've rewatched the Berserk anime, and when I read the manga, I STILL hear Marc's Guts, even in my head. I would barely be able to watch Berserk subbed because of this, but I would most definitely not accept anyone else as Guts in an English dub, not even Crispin Freeman.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly indifferent to the dub. I didn't dislike it but I'm by no means clamouring to see the old cast reunited.

It would really suck if Media Blasters ended up with it though. If that happens the odds of a BD would be pretty slim and the odds of it being released across numerous single DVDs would be high. I'd like to think that wouldn't happen for a less niche show like Berserk but after their handling of Moribito nothing would surprise me.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
guitarist52692 wrote:
animehermit wrote:
Sima Yi wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Guts is the walking personification of machismo, how can his voice be too deep? I think that Marc Diraison was absolutely a perfect fit for Guts. Hell, it's been years since I've rewatched the Berserk anime, and when I read the manga, I STILL hear Marc's Guts, even in my head. I would barely be able to watch Berserk subbed because of this, but I would most definitely not accept anyone else as Guts in an English dub, not even Crispin Freeman.

have you watched the show in Japanese? its not just tonal differences but theirs a whole layer of subtlety to the performances that completely absent from the dub. Marc Diraison can do angry pretty well, but thats about it, no subtlety at all.

ikillchicken wrote:
It would really suck if Media Blasters ended up with it though. If that happens the odds of a BD would be pretty slim and the odds of it being released across numerous single DVDs would be high. I'd like to think that wouldn't happen for a less niche show like Berserk but after their handling of Moribito nothing would surprise me.

i have little doubt that since this is a triple a title, that this would probably get picked up by funimation, considering the originals popularity in the united states.

Last edited by Animehermit on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
guitarist52692

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
guitarist52692 wrote:
animehermit wrote:
Sima Yi wrote:
animehermit wrote:

have you watched the show in Japanese? its not just tonal differences but theirs a whole layer of subtlety to the performances that completely absent from the dub. Marc Diraison can do angry pretty well, but thats about it, no subtlety at all.

ikillchicken wrote:

i have little doubt that since this is a triple a title, that this would probably get picked up by funimation, considering the originals popularity in the united states.

I disagree regarding the subtlety, I think Marc did quite a good job handling different kinds of situations, not just the angry ones. And even then, angry Guts is a HUGE part of his character. For large parts of the story, the only thing keeping Guts moving forward is his rage. Besides, that dub was produced what, 8-9 years ago? I'm sure any grievances you had with Marc's portrayal of Guts would be nonexistent now. No offense to the seiyu involved with the Japanese dub, I just find Berserk's English dub to be better.

And yes, regarding Media Blaster's possible licensing of this, you all bring up good points. I don't think Media Blasters picking this up would do much good for the series.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
guitarist52692 wrote:

I disagree regarding the subtlety, I think Marc did quite a good job handling different kinds of situations, not just the angry ones. And even then, angry Guts is a HUGE part of his character. For large parts of the story, the only thing keeping Guts moving forward is his rage. Besides, that dub was produced what, 8-9 years ago? I'm sure any grievances you had with Marc's portrayal of Guts would be nonexistent now. No offense to the seiyu involved with the Japanese dub, I just find Berserk's English dub to be better.

And yes, regarding Media Blaster's possible licensing of this, you all bring up good points. I don't think Media Blasters picking this up would do much good for the series.

we may have to agree to disagree about this, but i think you should watch the show entirely in Japanese before you make remarks regarding how the dub is superior. I've seen the show multiple times in both languages, starting with the dub and then watching it subbed. i don't not like the dub, it works for the most part, i'm saying that the Japanese is better.

also about Gutts' rage tendencies: Rage is an emotion not a character trait. Theres a whole boatload of scenes from the golden age where Gutts isn't angry at all, in fact he's even happy in some of them.
guitarist52692

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
guitarist52692 wrote:

we may have to agree to disagree about this, but i think you should watch the show entirely in Japanese before you make remarks regarding how the dub is superior. I've seen the show multiple times in both languages, starting with the dub and then watching it subbed. i don't not like the dub, it works for the most part, i'm saying that the Japanese is better.

also about Gutts' rage tendencies: Rage is an emotion not a character trait. Theres a whole boatload of scenes from the golden age where Gutts isn't angry at all, in fact he's even happy in some of them.

Rage is certainly not a character trait, but being angry certainly is. And the Golden Age arc is less than 1/4 of the series. A good portion of the series is Guts going around on a rampage (Vol 1-3, the Eclipse, vol 14-17, rescuing Caska, obtaining the Berserker Armor: a cursed item that runs off of the rage of it's user), so I certainly wouldn't claim that Guts is happy most of the time. Although I definitely agree that he is a subtle person.

I've seen Berserk in it's entirety 3-4 times with the English dub, and around half of the series in Japanese(Skipping around mind, you. I was in the mood for some of the most memorable parts of Berserk, and I gave them a shot in Japanese because I was feeling adventurous.) I just didn't feel that it was any better than the English dub, so I didn't pursue it any further. Although I've played the PS2 game, and the game obviously was Japanese audio only, so I've experienced it at that level too. I just don't feel that the Japanese audio is any better than the English. I treat it very much like Hellsing. Hellsing has an all-star cast in the Japanese dub, but despite that, I and many others find the English dub to just be better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15