• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayate Manga Gets Live-Action TV Series in Taiwan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:33 am Reply with quote
Um, what the f*ck? This is a show that should never, ever be live action.
viral_hun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
Hayate is a great manga, but it will lose its every charm in a live-action series. Seriously, why would anyone want to adapt a gag manga into a live-action? Don't they have anything better to do?
Togame

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
Twenty eight years old? Um, what? Confused
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:16 am Reply with quote
20 and 28 instead of 13 and 15? Confused Surely there are a few child stars over there that could fill the rolls.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:45 am Reply with quote
I guess this is going to take place in college then.

Could be funny. I think stuff like 30 Rock and Arrested Development answer the question of can a gag show that borders on insanity be successfully made into a live action series?
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I guess this is going to take place in college then.

Could be funny. I think stuff like 30 Rock and Arrested Development answer the question of can a gag show that borders on insanity be successfully made into a live action series?

While I do agree, a Hayate live-action series needs to have the production values that of Scott Pilgrim VS The World in order to do it properly. Still, it sounds like it could be interested. (Although I prefer the BBC do a live-action version of it, as Hayate is anime's answer to British comedy.)
ojamajolilac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote
When I read the main page, I was hoping 'Hayate' was not the manga that I was thinking...

I bet you it'll turn out to be a 'romantic comedy', the 'love triangle' between Hayate, Nagi and Hinagiku would be serious businesss. With awful slap stick comedy...

I'm sure there's loads of shoujo manga that would make decent live action drama....
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:16 am Reply with quote
No offense but casting a 20 and 28-year-old a 13-year-old tsundere and 16-year-old kid hero respectively is really messed up. Of course, this isn't the first time were a live-action adaption of an anime have messed up casting (the casting of Negima! features a 14-year-old Japanese girl casted into a 10-year-old British boy). Note that you can give a free pass on casting in voice acting, but live-action is a completely different story.

But I'm really waiting for Bandai to re-release Hayate the Combat Butler! with their own North American dub.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
Clearly you guys have never seen a Taiwanese live action drama.

Taiwanese dramas (comedies at least) are insane enough that they are pretty much gag anime. The cheesy special effects where they draw in huge blush marks or shoujo flowers or ridiculous thinking bubbles? Yeah, not really out place for Hayate.

The age thing is weird, but they'll probably just adapt it loosely =/
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
Here's one thing I don't get. I know a lot of people complain that when US adapt anime/manga into live-action, but when it's Japan or any Asian countries (Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, South Korea) adapt anime into live-action, I don't hear any complaint (please correct me if I'm wrong). I know Battle Royale 2 live-action wasn't that good and I wasn't impressed with the Negima live-action show when I first saw it. Just because Japan and any Asian countries adapt anime and manga into live-action does not mean it'll be good. But I do feel that US can do live-action anime/manga if done correctly just like video game, comic book, and other medium. Dragonball Evolution wasn't that bad, and I did like the live-action Speed Racer movie and I have faith that Akira and Battle Angel (I trust James Cameron) can do good on the live-action part.

people complaining about how US adapt anime into live-action and not complaining about how Japan (or any part of Asia) adapt manga/anime into live action is very much like how people complain about US remake Asian film and never complain about how Asia remake American film like Japan remaking Ghost and Hong Kong/China remade Cellular into Connected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
Not sure if want.

I love the manga and all but this series is going to lose a lot when turned in to a live action show.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
viral_hun wrote:
Don't they have anything better to do?

No they don't. Seriously.

minakichan wrote:
Clearly you guys have never seen a Taiwanese live action drama.

Ahem.

mdo7 wrote:
Here's one thing I don't get. I know a lot of people complain that when US adapt anime/manga into live-action, but when it's Japan or any Asian countries (Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, South Korea) adapt anime into live-action, I don't hear any complaint (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Sure you are. Razz At least I'm complaining, along with users on Komica i.e. Taiwan's equivalent of 4chan (with much more sanity though). The male lead looks much more like Kuroshitsuji than Hayate (click here and scroll down to No.197349) probably due to the audience of those young idol-leading soap operas are mostly female.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
Here's one thing I don't get. I know a lot of people complain that when US adapt anime/manga into live-action, but when it's Japan or any Asian countries (Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, South Korea) adapt anime into live-action, I don't hear any complaint (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Sure you are. Razz At least I'm complaining, along with users on Komica i.e. Taiwan's equivalent of 4chan (with much more sanity though). The male lead looks much more like Kuroshitsuji than Hayate (click here and scroll down to No.197349) probably due to the audience of those young idol-leading soap operas are mostly female.

uh, thanks for the link Dormcat. I google translate the page just to make sure and you verified it for me. It's nice to know that people can complain when it comes to Asia adapting anime/manga into live-action.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
I love the Hayate manga, and I would pay good money to see it Scott Pilgrim style, but I doubt the production values could reach that level, and yeah weird age problem, but hey maybe Im wrong and it becomes a masterpiece in its own right.....yeah we'll see
Hi-Chan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
When I read Hayate in the headline I thought it might be HayateXBlade;which might work well as a live action.Hayate The Combat Butler would never work as a live action.

And I should also mention somebody please just give us fans a HayateXBlade anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2