• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Multiple Anime Expo Staffers Resign in Board Dispute

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I knew this was a long time coming. It looks like no matter what happens, it's going to greatly affect AX 2010.
bankai3232

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Sad to hear.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Lot of corporatespeak in this item. Feel kinda queasy.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, business class tickets are expensive. Guess somebody wanted them to save some money and fly with the regular class.

They'll get their drama sorted out one way or the other.
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a good opportunity for PMX to grab these people and grow in the Fall end of the calender.

As far as AX, I really hope this doesn't affect this convention for the worse because it has no room for failure. It is in the same month as the largest multimedia convention of America and it risks being swallowed by it. Maybe the best thing to do is to hand over AX to Comic-Con International, in my opinion. If you are wanting AX to grow, then you should hand over the reigns to those that are more qualified, Comic-Con.
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Way too much CEO bs language in his statements. Does he ever actually say anything beside "Yes, people quit. Otherwise, no comment." there?
Yoda117

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Well, business class tickets are expensive. Guess somebody wanted them to save some money and fly with the regular class.

Actually, I think the response has more to do with the precedent sent by previous CEOs. If it's not listed in the contract, it should not be assumed as a "perk" (something with anyone with an ounce of business acumen can attest to).

Lots of corporate speak, and lots more of obvious ego and sword waving. What strikes me the most, however, is the press release from Lattanzio. Very unprofessional response from someone who is supposed to be the face of the corporation.

The additional reporting regarding his request to BAM! Marketing (if true) is onerous at best. You do not ask a marketing firm for their full list of contacts... again, Business 101 (unless you're trying to undercut your contract with the marketing firm you've hired, which is also not a good way to do business long-term). Wang was correct to refuse the request, since it is a proprietary item which is probably not covered as being available to AX per terms of their agreement.

Unfortunately, without certain documentation (contracts, e-mails, etc.) it's difficult to know just what is going on, and in that regard I do not wish to take a side... yet. However, if what has been reported thus far is accurate, then I think that Lattanzio is probably doing more harm than good with his (otherwise admirable) attempts to increase attendance and raise the quality of AX as a whole.

I'm certain that we'll be hearing more about this as we head toward the Summer months.

//a tangential question of interest is whether or not the severing of the business relationship with BAM! will have with this year's guest list for AX. Depending on how OPS went between the two organizations this could have a highly negative effect in both the short, and long term.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
That sounds like quite the mess, and unfortunately, like a lot of the problems you hear from other and more enlarged embattled corporations. The purported actions of the heads and the quote from the lawyer points to two issues. One, its sounds more like a sense of "entitlement" than one of benefit for the organization (and those trips to San Francisco and other expenses don't help their cause, either) and two, there should have been a statement in the rules or contracts that barred employees (upper & lower level) from utilizing company funds for travel expenses (or at the very least, provide a certain stipend for it as part of their pay for those that have to travel extensively).

Lattanzio and the others may have had the right mindset and plans going into it, but their realization of them looks to have been rough and ill-handled. Losing a great number of the staff (justifiably, if true) over the debacle shows some serious personality flaws between both sides, as well as some naivety. Neither side sounds like they knew what they were getting into, with one expecting a big corporation environment and life/work-style and the other expecting experienced leadership with (seemingly) no baggage attached (no pun intended). I hope that this doesn't lead to the dissolution of AX, but I think it is more likely that Lattanzio & Co. will move on with AX as intended while the dissatisfied former employees will organize and hold their own convention within the next year (ran as the "AX" company they believe is ideal).

A great and exhaustively researched article, though, ANN. Sounds like the kind of the thing you'd find in a newspaper (yeah, those ol' black-and-white things... Smile ).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One of the responses regarding this issue is that none of the previous SPJA CEOs have flown business class on AX's dime, to which Sabec responded, "That's probably true, but… you guys have may not have necessarily been in a professional enough organization to know the world from my perspective…. If you're asking a new executive to come on board that has a lot of experience in the entertainment industry… you know he's reasonably going to expect the same kind of treatment that other executives at his level receive."

Wow. Does this quote say a lot. It is fairly obvious to me that Lattanzio and his crew resemble the CEO types found in our banking institutions. Perks. Bonuses. Cronyism. All of this entitlement justified through their legal council (above).

It seems to me that a 3% attendance increase for the past few years in an industry who's bubble had burst is not so bad. Notice that all the people who resigned are in charge of events that THE FANS like. Lattanzio's plan is probably to replace these individuals with his entertainment industry cronies, who will then program events that will tell the fans what they should be liking. Expect to pay more and get less.

I hope I am wrong, but based on the artice that is how this looks to me...

I wonder if AX Concom and BAM! should ditch SPJA all together, find another partner and create a competing event, Though I suspect neither event in such a scenario would look the same or have the same atmosphere as AX of the past.
DrSlump

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I had the same feeling when I read about the so-called 'perks'. It's sounds like "me me me" first and then everyone else. I wonder who's going to bail out AX?

Some of the staffers are not likely to staff other events probably. Seems like this has left a bad taste in the mouth of lots of people.
UnknownFactor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:
Maybe the best thing to do is to hand over AX to Comic-Con International, in my opinion. If you are wanting AX to grow, then you should hand over the reigns to those that are more qualified, Comic-Con.

That has to be the worst idea I have ever heard.
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
UnknownFactor wrote:
sykoeent wrote:
Maybe the best thing to do is to hand over AX to Comic-Con International, in my opinion. If you are wanting AX to grow, then you should hand over the reigns to those that are more qualified, Comic-Con.

That has to be the worst idea I have ever heard.

Worst or best? Look at what they did with WonderCon and APE up North. If anyone can do it, it's them. I've been to a bunch of cons and Comic-Con is, by far, still the best one out there AND they also have the most pull, so that means more Special Guests.
applebread

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
That's a lot of corporate "me first" asshattery for a convention that's runs by the grace of its volunteers.
UnknownFactor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
sykoeent wrote:
Worst or best? Look at what they did with WonderCon and APE up North. If anyone can do it, it's them. I've been to a bunch of cons and Comic-Con is, by far, still the best one out there AND they also have the most pull, so that means more Special Guests.

Most pull only means most financial backing. You'd be surprised how much they pay for all those guests. Plus, if you have too many guests, everyone's attention is split, unable to see everything/everyone. There can be too much of a good thing.

There's no soul to those cons, IMHO. The crew doesn't care about the con. It's all too corporate for my taste.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm sort of waiting and seeing. Although, I still do wish to return to Access Control this summer. Might not be the same without most of the people I know returning...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8