• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Kaleido Star: Legend of Phoenix Video

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they eventually sell the OVAs separately. I've already bought the season sets, and I can't afford to double dip on this. I would however, buy the OVAs.
Graperacecar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Man, now I feel kind of dumb for buying the ADV sets for $40 two months ago. I really wanted to see that OVA, too. Maybe I'll rent it someday.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I really hope they eventually sell the OVAs separately. I've already bought the season sets, and I can't afford to double dip on this. I would however, buy the OVAs.

Be honest, I really don't think that will happen. I wanted the Genshiken OVA's to be separate (among other series) but the market for single disks and OVA's isn't what it used to be.

Meaning that the likelihood of having the OVA sold separately, is 50/50 at best. I really haven't seen a single DVD being sold since the Lucky Star OVA (which wasn't dubbed by the way) and that was at least a year ago.

Though since this is Funimation, there is a chance the OVA may be sold by it self. If Bandai, Sentai or Media Blaster's, the chances would be massively worse though.
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:

Agreed. I technically can afford it, but I don't really like the show well enough to have 2 sets (and who's going to buy my old sets after the new ones are released?) I'm sure they won't release them separately, but I sure wish that they would.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I really haven't seen a single DVD being sold since the Lucky Star OVA (which wasn't dubbed by the way) and that was at least a year ago.

Anything new from Media Blasters...

Quote:
Though since this is Funimation, there is a chance the OVA may be sold by it self.

I've only seen this done for the Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino OVA, but that came out shortly after the series. Since this Kaleido Star OVA will be subtitled, the chances of it being released by itself just drops. Unless they secretly also have the third OVA and release them together; or maybe all three OVAs together. Still low chances.

Most likely, this'll be like Vandread, where the compilation OVAs were released subtitled with the series.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:

Agreed. I technically can afford it, but I don't really like the show well enough to have 2 sets (and who's going to buy my old sets after the new ones are released?) I'm sure they won't release them separately, but I sure wish that they would.

I am sure it will sell for about or under $20 next Rightstuf FUNi sale. I will double-dip on S2. But I want Vandread OVAs to get their own dvd.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

*crosses fingers for a future Elfen Lied rescue with the OVA included* Cool

Hey, if they're gonna keep this practice going then why not? It would give me a reason to buy that series after all this time.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
ADV still have Elfen Lied - it's the only back catalogue title (i.e. one of the ones actually available in the UK) which they have thus far re-encoded for viewing on iOS on the TAN site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
This is honestly tempting... I could save some shelfspace and get a lil' more of the series. I'll have to wait to see the specific release set & pricing, though.
corinthian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Aww, sad face... But I'd bet Funi would rather do sub-only than round up the ADV gang or upset existing fans by using a different cast.
Hiyugi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I love you so much FUNimation.

I will double dip!

You made my freakin' Friday! Laughing
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Nice to know I'm not the only one taking is with an "oh crap" attitude because I already have the set.

Which does beg the question: would funi be better off selling that OAV seperatly, or are there enough people that would jump into Kaleido Star this late? The thought of double dipping is likely to put off a lot of us, probalby more than are likely to (at least at first).

Oh well, rightstuf salas abound. They alread list it at $30. Wait a year and it'll be in the bargin bin for $15.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Aww, sad face... But I'd bet Funi would rather do sub-only than round up the ADV gang or upset existing fans by using a different cast.

The Kaleido Star dub had fans? It was (in my opinion of course) one of the most miscast dubs I've ever heard in my life. I'm fairly neutral to dubs in any capacity, but Kaleido Star was unwatchable. What I wouldn't give for a redub of that entire series, especially since it's set in the states.

Horray for Legend of Pheonix though. I downloaded it years ago with the thought that it'd never get brought over. Now I'll have to double dip.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
I really like Kaleido Star. But I doubt I will buy it again for the OVAs. This is however a great chance to make new fans out of this series, and I implore anyone thinking of Kaleido Star to wait for this release. It will undoubtedly be reasonably priced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2