• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Xam'd: Lost Memories DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Are you positive about the opening?? On Anime Network on Demand it had Shut Up and Explode as the opening. I was hoping they would use Shut Up and Explode for the first set and Back On My Feet for the second set, since the latter's footage very clearly coincides with the events of the second half of the series (and contains some indirect spoilers for the first half).

I can't wait for my copy to come in the mail. I hope it looks gorgeous on Blu Ray.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm skeptical of watching this. Mainly because it, like you say Key, bears an uncanny to Eureka Seven in many, many ways...

Knowing that it stands on it's own is a weight off my chest, but I don't think I'm gonna take it in without thinking "Oh, hey Renton 2."

Still, after just finishing So-Ra-No-Wo-To(which was a lot better than I thought), and The Tatami Galaxy(no other description than "timeless masterpiece" will suffice), I just might watch X'amd for Michiru's handiwork.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Knowing that it stands on it's own is a weight off my chest, but I don't think I'm gonna take it in without thinking "Oh, hey Renton 2."

I can you tell that while Xam'd in several ways feels similar to Eureka 7, right down the same character designer, based on the first episode that I've seen on the Anime network, the main character in Xam'd didn't seem to have much of the same traits as Renton.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quote
I pre-ordered the Blu-ray version when its date was released (have not received). As, I really wanted to support neo-ADV/Sentai ventures into dubbing again. But it was a total blind buy. I feel better about the solid review. And if the 2nd disc gets a B+ then I will be ecstatic.

And the fact that the visuals are above average make me happy too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
Hah, I hadn't even glanced at the dub cast list! I'm looking forward to hearing what Luci Christian sounds like as Nakiama--I think that's an interesting match-up. I've always been a fan though--ditto Hilary Haag and Monica Rial--so I'm sure I'll like what I hear. Smile

The rest of the cast seems populated by voices I'm unfamiliar with, so if nothing else I'll find the dub fresh I'm betting.

As for the OP/ED, I'm a little sad that they went with the TV versions, but maybe that's just because I had gotten used to the ONA versions. I really like both OPs though, as well as the ONA ED (and presumably the TV ED, which I haven't heard/seen), so no biggie. It's the Oshima's score that matters the most anyway; it was indeed a solid effort throughout.

bahamut623 wrote:
I was hoping they would use Shut Up and Explode for the first set and Back On My Feet for the second set, since the latter's footage very clearly coincides with the events of the second half of the series (and contains some indirect spoilers for the first half).

Oh yeah, that would've been a good idea! I can't wait to receive my BD copy either; I'm going to have a hell of a time choosing between playing Halo Reach and watching Xam'd first when I get home to my BD player and 360. Razz

Visually speaking, I'm certain that it's going to be quite a long time before anything tops Xam'd for me; as you said Key, the series really put forward a stunning effort in the animation department (throughout the series in my opinion, although the early episodes probably did boast an edge not present later on). The artistry at least certainly remains awesome from start to finish--everything feels alive with detail, from facial expressions to mechanical designs to backgrounds. Nakiami I agree is a standout for the originality of her design--as is the general Ruikon aesthetic--though both her and Haru are totally pretty to look at. Anime catgrin But overall, I found just about every character to be wonderfully rendered and visually appealing, even Akiyuki in his uniform. Laughing

Regarding the Xam'd and the Humanforms: they undoubtedly make for cool, distinctive combatants, and I'm not normally a fan of "organic" mecha design. Although yeah, the mecha tag doesn't really fit the series, since only the Mainsouls approach true mecha. Having said that, I'd stop short of describing it as a supernatural/fantasy series... not sure where it fits.

Irrespective of how you label it though, I think half of Xam'd's strength (the other of course being the eye candy) lies in the characters that populate it, and how they develop. Akiyuki's parents are definitely an example of this; they were always a treat to watch, particularly his mom. Akiyuki, Haru spoiler[(anime girls love getting haircuts to indicate a masculine transformation, don't they?)], Nakiami, and Furuichi all engaged me from the get-go, as did Tojiro in his own maleficent way. I think the Japanese VAs deserve a lot of credit for this--the English cast has a lot to live up to.

Otaking09 wrote:

I have yet to watch the second half of E7, but I can tell you thus far that I don't find that Akiyuki and Renton share much of anything in common. Vague spoiler-ish stuff coming up. Akiyuki I find a lot more reserved, and introspective. Furthermore, he never comes off as a runt like Renton does, and his adjustment to the Hiruko/his relationship with Nakiami feels a lot more balanced than Renton with Eureka and Nirvash. End spoiler-ish stuff.

Okay, so maybe Xam'd has a third major strength in its thematic component, actually. Between the show's strong cast of characters and how they deal with the war and Hiruko, Xam'd presented some nice morsels regarding the effect of prolonged conflict on marginalized communities, and people who are caught between sides. More broadly, the tests of emotion and distance that many of Xam'd relationships were subject to were well-integrated, and by the end of the series I felt quite clearly that everybody had come to a place where they were able to cope spoiler[(or not)] with the results of critical decisions they had made. Er... guess that'll be more pertinent in part two.

Anyway, hope this shows up in Shelf Life! I'd like another perspective.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:30 am Reply with quote
I thought this was going to be a PSN exclusive so I watched pretty much the whole thing on fansubs. I'll definitely buy the Blu-ray when I get the chance (so much Blu-Ray anime coming out, not enough money Sad )

Xam'd was one of those series like Eden of the East that's good, but not as good as seemed like it was going to be at first. The first few episodes of Xam'd got me super excited in a way I haven't been since I started watching anime, but it sort of fell off after that. I think it needed to be shorter than it was.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:51 am Reply with quote
I've been eyeballing this ever since the Blu-ray was announced... I'm not sure if its for me (never had PS Network to watch it)

Is it mostly about teenagers with super-powers? Are they in a military origination mostly made up of other angsty young people? That's sort of a turn off for me (see, Eureka 7, Full Metal Alchemist, Gundam 00, etc...)
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:47 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Is it mostly about teenagers with super-powers?

Well, the three central protagonists are teenagers; having said that, only one of them possesses what we'd call superpowers. Furthermore, said superpower (that being the capacity to transform into Xam'd, which is kind of like a... a... thing) has a tendency to be hazardous for the user, and it doesn't dominate the story. Additionally, said superpower is not teen-exclusive at all.

Quote:
Are they in a military origination mostly made up of other angsty young people?

There is a plurality of organizations in the picture, only one of which is attached to a military force. Only one of the aforementioned three is employed by it for any length of time, and none of these three are in any way angsty; they are in fact quite level-headed I'd say (such a lovely thing), albeit subject to ongoing emotional stresses that don't result in... yeah, angst.

Also, the series is populated a good number of true-blue adults; you won't be tempted to think that the average age in the Xam'd world is sixteen.

Quote:
That's sort of a turn off for me (see, Eureka 7, Full Metal Alchemist, Gundam 00, etc...)

You hear E7 come up a lot in reference to Xam'd, but in my opinion most of what gets brought up is superficial, as far as setting and character is concerned at least; if anything, the latter is a noticeable refinement. You've got an older cast that is better developed and assembled, and not as cumbersome to wield when the plot needs to advance. Perhaps the simplest analogy is that Xam'd's equivalent of the Gekko, the Zanbani, feels much more detailed and lively.

The commonalities between Xam'd and 00/FMA extend about as far as the general setting, in that there is/was a large conflict that is affecting the world around the characters (these are all series that I've really enjoyed watching, by the way). None of them are a good comparison, I think.

If nothing else, this is sure to look good on BD. Dunno, maybe The Anime Network will stream an episode or two?
alifemde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:30 am Reply with quote
Interesting first half, but the storytelling just falls apart in the second half. I advise anybody who's interested to find it on crunchyroll or someplace legal to watch it first before purchase. I was hopeful after its start, but very let down by it myself.

But that may just be me.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
Yes, this show is pretty much "Evangelion in the Valley of Guyvers with E7' character designs", but it still knocked me on ass when I saw it. A really enjoyable show all the way through that definately deserves more exposure
redranger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
I remember watching the first six episodes of this anime and having no [expletive] clue what was going on...kinda like eureka seven. I guess I'll be skipping this because I really hated eureka seven.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
Looking at the box cover art, I thought this had to be hentai. The giant hand, the girl, the ridiculous missile.

But then, what were the strange akimbo limbs to the left? I couldn't figure it out. I had to google-images Xam'd to figure out what was going on here.

Now I see this is a tortured perspective shot of an already surreal character.

So, we have a 'bot with a ... missile-head ... seemingly using its giant hand to rub a protesting girl against itself.

Phallic honesty at its most erect.
Phallic honesty at its most naked.
Phallic honesty at its most .... honest.

Congratulations, Japan. You've managed to top yourself again.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
Well, for those that don't want to blind-buy the new dub but want to watch it, and if you have access to The Anime Network on Demand (I don't know if they are offering the same thing online or not), I believe they are still offering the first three episodes on the channel and will probably be listing more episodes soon. I have yet to watch it, but probably will be doing so soon.
Mytopia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
People who've never seen this show (during the PSN premiere or afterwards) shouldn't really comment on it either way. This is not a robot or tentacle whatever show, if that's what some people were thinking-- please read the original promo descriptions if you want an idea, not based on some coverart. This is a truly wonderful series that isn't what you expect when you watch it at first glance at all, thus the reason why some reviewers go into it expecting something, and watching something else entirely. Obviously, their expectations will be turned aside-- which is why reviewers really shouldn't have such anyway, while reviewing anything.

Also, ANN should really be reviewing the Blu-Ray, rather than a DVD volume, really. Many things that apparent in the DVD releases obviously will not be present in the Blu-Ray, as the show was originally aired in 1080p HD. If ANN are a "respected news [or review] source", then how come they couldn't get a copy of the Blu-Ray release? Did Sentai not trust them, or did ANN not request them? Either way, the BD is what most people will be interested in, or will be considering buying!
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
This is on my Christmas list, right at the top.

As much as you want a BD review, the majority of anime purchases are still DVD. It makes sense that they would review the more popular version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3