• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreimo (TV) - both seasons and ONAs.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote
My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute

ONA (i.e., alternate ep 12 +13-15) discussion begins here.
Second season discussion begins here.

A lot of people thought this would be a Kiss x Sis perverted fantasy type thing; and those people were wrong. I found the episode to be hilarious; almost making a parody of the Kiss x Sis release by making stabs at the brother sister thing and then slamming it into the ground the next instant. I found the leads to be easy to watch if a little generic (hey everything has been done under the sun, I've given up searching for new character types these days) and so far it just looks like a light hearted series poking fun at the whole "serious issue" being so heavily debated in the other thread, and it didn't once (yet) descend into cheap fanservice.

The sister is pretty damn dense though; the last person she should have wanted to find her secret out would have been her brother... but she didn't even make the connection. I like the male lead's Kyon-style dry point-out-the-obvious-to-the-clueless style and I found myself laughing most of the time. The irony is that Kirino is pretty damn cute.

Anyways overall it was pretty funny and I give a thumbs up from the first episode.. It'd be nice to know from someone who read the manga in advance though, whether or not it descends into.. er... less palatable areas for certain viewers later. I'd say pick it up but not knowing what direction it take is a risk that is on your head if you're worried about such a thing. I'm not really worried though and the first episode was enjoyable (for me at least) so give it a crack, I say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
quikbeam1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
I have to say I agree with Skylark about the first episode. I was really considering not watching the show, I generally tend not to watch Kiss X Sis type shows. That being said, i am glad i watched the first episode. It felt similar to a Haruka no Himitsu except with a fairly tsundere sister.
I also enjoyed the idea of the main male character being the not so dense and fairly down to earth character, and the main female lead being the incredibly dense one for a change.

Overall, i would say the show is enjoyable to watch, granted this is all based on the first episode. Hopefully the show will develop into a good show. Overall i would say give the first episode a try.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:

A lot of people thought this would be a Kiss x Sis perverted fantasy type thing; and those people were wrong.

I think it's important for people to actually read plot synopis' when anime comes out so that doesn't happen.

Anyway, I enjoyed it and had a few giggles.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
That Oreimo is pretty far from Kissxsis territory is absolutely true. That doesn't mean it isn't doing a little bit of eating its cake and having it, too. The way the little sister is dressed some times (short shorts, for example) I do get the sense she is being presented as more than just, "aw, ain't she cute?" The first time we see her, she is laying on the couch in a very typical teeny-bopper way, but just what she was wearing and the way the shots were framed, I did get a sort of sense that the creators were winking at me and saying, "she's kind of hot, isn't she?" I've already cited the scenes where she straddles her brother in bed and slaps his face to wake him up in other threads. Again, none of these are explicit, obvious things - but I think it is naive not to consider what effect the creators expect them to have on a certain portion of their audience.
killmyself

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote
It seems like it will be an alright watch but one of those animes where I don't remember anything that happened in it 2 weeks after its run ends. I agree with blood about the animators intent with some of the stuff in the show and really it makes the show way more shady than Kissxsis because that was a fanservice anime that was upfront about its purpose.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I am rather disappointed in this one. They spend the entire episode (without OP nor ED) just to set up this silly secret sibling relationship which had less than half of that time worth of story. So what did they fill it with? Kirino and Kyousuke being in denial for a quarter of the episode and Kirino looking cute... with little success. The story is as plain as day: tsundere sister with bother-complex is going to be bitchy to him while "secretly" loving him and whatnot. While he is going to suffer because he had the devils luck to learn her little secret... of being an otaku. (I love how subtle this sorry otaku bait of a series is.)

Hopefully we'll get the remaining three characters on screen soon to liven thing up in any way. Otherwise this series is going to cease to exist for me next week.

PS: Writing this reminded me to start a thread for my fav series of this season. 'tleast something good.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
I am rather disappointed in this one. They spend the entire episode (without OP nor ED) just to set up this silly secret sibling relationship which had less than half of that time worth of story. So what did they fill it with? Kirino and Kyousuke being in denial for a quarter of the episode and Kirino looking cute... with little success. The story is as plain as day: tsundere sister with bother-complex is going to be bitchy to him while "secretly" loving him and whatnot. While he is going to suffer because he had the devils luck to learn her little secret... of being an otaku. (I love how subtle this sorry otaku bait of a series is.)

No. That's completely wrong.
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Just fyi, the novels are apparently going that way (author's teasing, innuendo, but it's nor KissxSis nor Koi Kaze just yet). Not too likely that we'd see anything specific in the series, though. [source: LN summaries off the internet]
Looks like the protagonist is a nice "normal" guy, more or less likeable. And I dig the sister's character design.

(Tengen Toppa Twelve Sisters? Laughing )
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:

(Tengen Toppa Twelve Sisters? Laughing )

I was not ready for that Laughing
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
That Oreimo is pretty far from Kissxsis territory is absolutely true. That doesn't mean it isn't doing a little bit of eating its cake and having it, too. The way the little sister is dressed some times (short shorts, for example) I do get the sense she is being presented as more than just, "aw, ain't she cute?" The first time we see her, she is laying on the couch in a very typical teeny-bopper way, but just what she was wearing and the way the shots were framed, I did get a sort of sense that the creators were winking at me and saying, "she's kind of hot, isn't she?" I've already cited the scenes where she straddles her brother in bed and slaps his face to wake him up in other threads. Again, none of these are explicit, obvious things - but I think it is naive not to consider what effect the creators expect them to have on a certain portion of their audience.

Well she is a model she so is kinda hot... really was no subtly with her shaking that ass around... i watched the raw like a few hours after it aired and said on AS there would be heaps of gifs of that scene.. i see them all over the place now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:06 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Well she is a model she so is kinda hot... really was no subtly with her shaking that ass around... i watched the raw like a few hours after it aired and said on AS there would be heaps of gifs of that scene.. i see them all over the place now.

Thank you for illustrating my point. Actually, I forgot to comment on her being model - how can you sister model in a magazine and you not know about it??? That part struck me as very odd.
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Well the sister before he found out her secret kind of blocked him out of her life... still it would be odd, like wouldn't his parents have at least said something at some point.

anyway back to why i decided to actually post a comment rather then ninja around.

If the Sister really has a brother complex why is she playing Games with sisters in them rather then brothers? As a girl i can not wrap my mind around that. I heard that the otome game Otomeki Love Revo the protagonist's brother is a secret character you can get so why wouldn't the Girl in this show be playing games like that if she had a brother complex?

other then that i pretty much agree with everything else already said, her waving her butt in the air, short shorts, straddling him to wake him up all in creeper territory they way they framed it.
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Sakura-Alchemist wrote:
other then that i pretty much agree with everything else already said, her waving her butt in the air, short shorts, straddling him to wake him up all in creeper territory they way they framed it.

Might have just been my whacked sense of humour but I just thought that was a joke. Kind of like, the viewers watching a show called "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute" are all waiting for the moment when the sister confesses to the brother that she is distancing herself from him because she is actually in love with him. So it shows her straddling him to wake him up, and we think "Oh here we go...." but then she invites him to come to her room? "Why wasn't right there good enough" we think, but then it turns out that she actually has a fetish for little sisters herself. My interpretation was that it was a running gag (ie: I spent most of the episode laughing), and it was also refreshing to see that the brother wasn't having any of it. Like at the start with the dream sequence.

But yeah, that's how I took it; misdirection. Makes the viewer think one thing is going to happen, when it happens to be something else, and that something else turns out to be ridiculous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Sakura-Alchemist wrote:
If the Sister really has a brother complex why is she playing Games with sisters in them rather then brothers?

Actually, I don't think she is a secret bro-con. I suspect he might be a secret sis-con, but I don't have as much evidence to back up my hunch as I do with my other comments. I take her statement that she likes these types of games because she finds the little sister characters cute at face value. I mean, it's an absurd premise, but if we all demanded strict psychological realism, I suspect not many of us would be watching anime in the first place!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Almost didn't notice this thread, I had taken the time to identify "Ore no Imouto", lucky it seems to be going by this name as well. Firstly to add to people saying it was strange he didn't notice she was a model, it is even stranger as I figured she was a model just when she was talking on the phone to her friend (she mentioned a shoot). You know I didn't feel too awkward with Kiss x Sis because the characters were strictly not blood related, but I feel a little awkward with this guy checking out his sister, or at least the strange positions. Actually mentioning Kiss x Sis, I think there was a reference with one of the boxes having the name Sis x Sis.

Anyway I hope this won’t become some incest fest, seems very strange that she is interested in sis-con games, she even stated she prefers the original ero versions, but she seems dedicated to it beyond purely getting off. I guess I might be sympathise with her enjoying the story despite a lot of fetish stuff, had to chuckle at her showing her knowledge, I probably have acted simular with some of my hobbies.

I also got a nice kick out of the end with him having a try of one, the choice was classic as was her reaction, it almost feels like she is trying to turn him into a sis-con. Well as it is she is a nice change to so many other recent anime where imoutos are a bit too sweet, like that one who is continuously going Nii-Nii in Amagami, didn’t the sister in this mention some calling her Nii-Nii. On a last note I liked the design of the guy’s friend, she surprisingly doesn’t look sexualised in the least, usually close female friends in anime mean they have a crush on the lead, but who knows.

(EDIT) Holy cr@p there already is an Oreimo wikia site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 56