• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crew: Subbed Redline to Open Throughout U.S. in 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
If it's just subtitled and opening "throughout the U.S." early next year, it could mean one of two things (or both): 1) they are testing the waters with a limited run for a wider one (with a dub) if reviews and word-of-mouth are good, or 2) they are trying to meet theater-showing requirements in order to make it eligible for Oscar consideration. It seems like the powers-that-be have a bit of confidence that they could distribute the film on a bigger scale, but are taking it cautiously, which is the smart thing to do--even for a film with its level of mainstream potential. It is an anime film aimed at an older audience, after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Subtitled? In a movie theater? Manga Ent is going to lose money on this. Hopefully it's an extremely limited release or it's shown at larger conventions

Actually, it's much more common for foreign films to be shown subbed in theaters than dubbed. Other than anime, it's fairly rare for foreign entertainment to be dubbed at all. Even most foreign horror movies are no longer dubbed. Not to mention, with the exception of the Disney/Ghibli releases most anime films are shown subtitled first (Eva remakes, Haruhi, etc.)

Most subtitled films do have more limited releases though. The widest subbed releases I can think of were the Del Toro films (Pan's Labyrinth, The Orphanage), and some Asian action flicks (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.)

I would like to check this out, but I doubt it will be playing anywhere near me and I don't think I'd be willing to travel out of state for a viewing. But I guess we will have to wait and see.

For anime films you can mention that was distributed subbed, I can mention the wider distributed ones that were dubbed ...Sword of the Stranger, Eureka Seven, Bleach Movie 1..

Having a sold out release in California (Disappearance of Haruhi) does not equate to a good performance in wider distribution. For that you need a dub for anime title imo.

Sam Murai wrote:
or 2) they are trying to meet theater-showing requirements in order to make it eligible for Oscar consideration. .

Toy Story 3 will knock it out the park.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I have absolutely no clue what this is, but I think I want to see it! The girls are cute...

It reminds me of a cross between F-Zero and Jojo's, though. Hmm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Nephtis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
Saw it at Reel Anime this year (in Australia). Somehow each session for each film was very packed. That said it was at an arthouse film cinema, and only one cinema per capital city.

I hope a lot of people (non anime fans most especially) give it a shot, it's a wild ride (pun intended).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
or 2) they are trying to meet theater-showing requirements in order to make it eligible for Oscar consideration. .

Toy Story 3 will knock it out the park.

For sure, regardless. But at least they can try to gain the prestige of being "Academy Award-nominated", perhaps on the merit of its technical feat of being totally hand-drawn. Like the old saying goes, "it's an honor just to be nominated"...I'm just not certain of its chances even there, in spite of its good reviews so far (non-Ghibli anime film aimed at mature audiences). If it acutally did, it would be a big coup for Madhouse.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I have a friend who isn't really interested in anime (besides the odd Ghibli movie, dubbed) but I know I can get her to come with me to see this with 2 little words: Kimura and Takuya.

To be honest, that's a big part of why I want to see this film too (who do you suppose introduced her to him? Cool ). I'm really, really hoping that, Madison being a university town, it may have a shot at a showing. Probably too early to get too excited about it though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2