• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The World God Only Knows (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
It's nice to hear some english in the OP, but the show itself is extremely generic and cliched. It was somewhat tolerable for me. I want to see what happens next episode.

"Please welcome our new student" has been done, so many times before. I want to see K lose his head.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Urgh.

I enjoy romantic anime, like, a whole bunch. I watch a fair few and in doing so, you tend to notice the various clichés and traps that a series such as this can fall into. So far, this is very, very generic.

I'm really not understanding the love for it. How is this different to a good chunk of the high school romantic harem stuff already out there? The premise is laughably simple. I assume every week he's going to have to win another girl over to release the blah blah blah yaaaaaawn. Sorry, that's not enough to hold my interest.

Now, all that said. The character designs were appealing, and the music was also of a high standard. You can see that some budget has been thrown at it, but it's all style over substance as far as I'm concerned.

THIS was the eagerly anticipated show of the season? Really? Question
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:

I'm really not understanding the love for it. How is this different to a good chunk of the high school romantic harem stuff already out there? The premise is laughably simple. I assume every week he's going to have to win another girl over to release the blah blah blah yaaaaaawn. Sorry, that's not enough to hold my interest.

I'm fairly certain it's not going to be a new girl every week, but that future girls will be much more involved. I agree with what someone posted in the preview guide episode that it felt like they were trying to make sure they got the basic premise and everything fully established in the first episode, and as a result the first girl was way too simple and easy.

But the show was honestly quite funny in my opinion despite that, so I'm willing to forgive that issue as long as future episodes don't make similiar mistakes. There are a lot of interesting ways they could develop the premise in the future, or they could just repeat the same old thing over and over again. But as I said, I found the first episode quite funny, so I'm definitely willing to give the show the chance to show it's (potential) merit.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
It's generally agreed upon by the manga fanbase that the first chapter is rather weak compared to what comes later. But the basic premise doesn't change all that much. I still don't see how you can call it typical rom com though, it is unique period Also I see a lot of complaints about the memory loss thing.. it becomes a factor... I'll just leave it at that..

Anyway the reason people are laying into Key is not because he doesn't like the show, it's his reasoning for not liking the show. As you can see below other people have mentioned it...

Blood- wrote:
eta: actually, just went and read your preview, Key (my comments above were in reaction to what you wrote in this thread). From what I can see, you have committed a cardinal sin of reviewing: you reviewed a show that doesn't exist: i.e. the one you wanted in your head.

+

garfield15 wrote:
Yeah, that's my real problem with Key's review.

The worst kind of review you can do is basically have it amount to "this isn't the show I wanted it to be. Therefore it sucks."

He didn't even fault the show for what it is but more for it not living up to what he wanted it to be. And seriously who the fudge would expect a Shounen Sunday manga to even cover the stuff Key wanted? Shows a lack of research (takes 2 secs to look @ what magazine in runs in) and professionalism (waah not the show I wanted waah).

There's no way someone should be given TLR Motte a 3.5 and this a way lower score if he was scoring objectively. I really don't know how the by the numbers TLR Motte even got a 3.5 and stuff like SnO Forte and TWGOK scored way lower. Maybe Key's a Yui fanboy but so I am and I'm not going to pretend TLR is in the same league as the other two shows let alone better.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
well a reviewer is free to have his own opinion of a show but i agree that it seems like his main problem was that it wasn't the show he would like it to be which is just silly.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't too impressed by this show so far. It was kinda boring to watch. The only thing that amused me was Keima's obsession with Dating Sim games. The funny parts didn't make me laugh and I groaned at the whole idea of spoiler[the main character having to make girls fall in love with him to get rid of the spirits hiding in their hearts.] I mean, really...?

I'll be fair and watch a few more episodes before deciding if I like it or not. Hopefully it will get better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Have yet to actually read the manga. But I do have to say I did reasonably enjoy the first episode since it appears to be going for a parody of dating sim tropes with the spoiler[spirit hunts done by otaku and demon girl being solved by otaku's knowledge of said tropes.] The start of the episode spoiler[where the otaku gets whacked by his teacher to get him back into reality from his game] was the highlight comedy moment for me in this episode.

There is something I would like to ask though, Key. What had you thinking the series premise could go in a direction like Welcome to the NHK when that series was more grounded to reality with its premise than this series clearly taking a supernatural approach pointed out?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Never read the manga for whatever reason even though the premise interested me.

So, I did get pretty excited about the anime, but not enough to become a screaming fan girl over it.

Sure, it's not the most original thing to ever be released, but I'm not sure that originality was the goal when it was created. The whole otaku humor of it pretty much justifies some of the cliche nuances noted by a few of you ("meet our new student").

I enjoyed the clean and fluid animation, musical score, character design, and even the voice acting. Overall, it's extremely enjoyable for me and I'm actually interested to see how it turns out. Knowing that there's a second season already is a bit of a downer, but, I may end up looking forward to it if this season proves entertaining enough.

I also wouldn't call the first episode slow at all. It moved faster than the episode of the Cleveland Show I ditched to watch it. :p

This is definitely my favorite of this batch of releases so far. Looking forward to episode two!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode and I got all the way through it, which is definitely a plus (I tend to be picky about what I watch and often turn first episodes off halfway through if I'm bored already).

I think it has potential and honestly there isn't much else out there this season that's grabbed my attention (well, Bakuman might if it wasn't for the rampant sexism that I don't think I could deal with, but that's another topic altogether) so I'll definitely follow to see where it could go. The premise is interesting and yeah, the first episode was entertaining. With most anime (and most entertainment period) that's a pretty good assessment to get.

And who knows, if it delves into things a little deeper later on, it could even become a favourite. I don't expect that quite yet but you never know.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:02 am Reply with quote
While I am a big fan of the manga something about the anime did bug me. Something felt off. It may have been their choice of seiyuu but something I read elsewhere actually pointed out my problem nicely.

Quote:
What I would consider key are a) his backtalk to the teacher where he tells her exactly what's more interesting than her class and b) the part of his narrated self-introduction where he says he's good at every school subject. These are two small scenes early on that were obviously cut for time purposes, but form the audience's central understanding of the character that affects how they view future events.

In the anime, he's a slacker who doesn't pay attention in class. He's a loser who retreats from reality into his video games and doesn't deserve any respect, and nor does he get any. However, he's got a big ego that he applies to games. Given what happens next, the natural progression of this story is for him to be hilariously forced to confront the "real" that he hates so much and slowly gain the confidence and motivation he needs to grow as a person.

In the manga, he's an eccentric genius. He doesn't pay attention in class because he doesn't need to. He's extremely precise and organized, and he doesn't care in the slightest about what people think about him. He's someone who could easily be successful in the "real" but chooses not to because of his obsession with the perfection of fantasy. He's a larger than life character who we want to see do awesome and improbable things simply because he can.

I agree with this. Did anyone else get the same feeling from Ep 1?

I hope the anime does better at reflecting these things about him. Some of the highlights of the series are his epic rants. Whether I keep watching or stick to the manga will depend on how they handle the "BMW" rant that should be in the next episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga, but even from the anime, I didn't get the impression he was a slacker or that he wasn't intelligent. I also got the impression that his exile from the real world was self-imposed rather than an inherent inability to deal with it. My take was that he prefers the "rational" (i.e. controllable) world of dating sims versus the messy reality of real human beings and their stubborn refusal to act/react in predictable ways.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I noticed something in the first few min of episode 2. When all the kids started laughing together they suddenly looked like characters from Charles Schulz's Peanuts. They even included the correct HAHAHA font. I laughed pretty hard at that. Then felt old.

The humor was good in this ep. spoiler[Dad being given the boot by former biker chick mom after his "illegitimate" daughter is discovered.] Had me chuckling.

The show is walking a fine line between parody and pandering. As long as it can keep it's balance I think it will be one of the better series this season.
tarheel91

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
This isn't a harem. It's a complete parody of one. spoiler[Instead of the guy strangely lacking a visible father like every other harem, the main girl gets him KICKED out.] He approaches every girl using traditional ero-game/harem tactics and gets absolutely murdered. It's his natural personality and his getting lucky that saves him. I'm really enjoying this series so far.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote
Royal Devil wrote:
While I am a big fan of the manga something about the anime did bug me. Something felt off. It may have been their choice of seiyuu but something I read elsewhere actually pointed out my problem nicely.

I agree with this. Did anyone else get the same feeling from Ep 1?

I hope the anime does better at reflecting these things about him. Some of the highlights of the series are his epic rants. Whether I keep watching or stick to the manga will depend on how they handle the "BMW" rant that should be in the next episode.

Good god that quoted rant is ridic, I guess they should've added those scenes and cut down on Ayumi's screentime instead. I mean adding in the Ayumi scenes during Mio's arc would be much more easier than Keima backtalking his teacher and showing how smart he is. Those scenes couldn't possibly be included at any other time in the show whereas we can slot Ayumi falling over into the middle of any other arc in the show.

If you want to see a bad adaption read the Umineko VNs than watch the anime,TWOGK is doing a good job and not everything shown in a 60 page opening chapter can be animating in one episode, which already fit it more time than usual by cutting the ED out.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:

Good god that quoted rant is ridic, I guess they should've added those scenes and cut down on Ayumi's screentime instead. I mean adding in the Ayumi scenes during Mio's arc would be much more easier than Keima backtalking his teacher and showing how smart he is. Those scenes couldn't possibly be included at any other time in the show whereas we can slot Ayumi falling over into the middle of any other arc in the show.

Confused

How would two sentences seriously cut down Ayumi's screen time?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 24