• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The World God Only Knows (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
I'm talking within the context of the show based on what we know of Ayumi and Chihiro as characters. Yes, in reality, we all know the fastest way to get into a chick's pants is to have some other chick express interest, but*...

* I have personal experience here. Years ago when I was still capable of getting a girlfriend, I met a woman at work who I become interested in. I manfully confessed to her and was turned down. Flash forward a month or so and a friend of another co-worker starts showing some interest in me - suddenly, original target falls for my charms. Sigh.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Season 3, episode 11
Decent episode. Ayumi sure has some blushing faces going on this episode. I was looking forward to meeting her goddess though...maybe next time I guess.

I loved the way that Keima appeared to her later on a spoiler[white horse] :3. That moment was just classic imo. Next time looks like spoiler[Haqua] is going to have her hands full.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see at least a little hint of pointing out that Keima is an emotionally manipulative sociopath.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I loved the way that Keima appeared to her later on a spoiler[white horse] :3. That moment was just classic imo.

I like how she appeared to him naked. If he ends up married to her he could do worse.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 11

So the spoiler[final barrier] is the one that Keima spoiler[put up to protect himself from getting too attached to the girls he has to conquer]. He can't help but spoiler[come across as acting], and others spoiler[see him as trying quite hard].

But still: spoiler[He can see the ending]. I got shivers from that bit.
simmeh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
So this whole set of shows is one of my favourites. As someone who cut his teeth in anime on harem shows, this is a real treat. It's one of the most meta shows I've ever seen - it's done a 180 to be a completely self-aware parody, another 180 to be a sincere highschool rom-com, and then a second 180 to be a parody of its own sincerity. This is brilliant.

My fan theory of the final goddess co-residing in Ayumi and Chihiro looks to be shot down, but I'm still enjoying this a lot.

My hopes for the finale can be summed up one word: consequences. Until this season Katsuragi hasn't really had to face the consequences of his womanising, and I think it would be a shame if all the girls had another bout of collective amnesia and he got to carry on as if nothing had happened. Plus I always think that harem shows are best when they manage to pull the trigger and force the protagonist to make a permanent decision.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Agh!!! I can't believe I forgot about a line that Ayumi and Keima said here! Totally ties into what's currently going on in the manga (I don't think this is a spoiler, but if it is I'll gladly delete it). The author is such a brilliant GENIUS! He is my muse...

Anyway, great episode. I previously posted that this season peaked my dislike for Chihiro and it is mainly because of what she does in this episode. I guess she had her reasons for doing so, but Keima could have spoiler[conquered Ayumi] much faster without her "help". She's not bad, I just don't like her :p I also previously posted my top girls in this series--Ayumi being one of them--so when Keima told her spoiler[You are my first and last heroine] it raised my hopes that they end up being a couple. I'd be cool with that.

That's another thing I like about this harem series that makes it different than most: The girl he ends up with (if he ends up with any of them) is not obvious from the very beginning. Most harems display a disgusting amount of favoritism for the girl the guy is so obviously going to end up with, that the other girls don't really have any chance at all. That's like taking more than half the fun of watching this genre (harems)! Here, it could be Ayumi; it could be Tenri; it could be Haqua; it could be Chihiro; it could be any of them really because a lot of them play a very important role in his life. The author does not spend 80% of the time working on one paring like most harem authors do; they are all important and many of them have an equal chance of ending up with Keima.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
I previously posted that this season peaked my dislike for Chihiro and it is mainly because of what she does in this episode. I guess she had her reasons for doing so, but Keima could have spoiler[conquered Ayumi] much faster without her "help". She's not bad, I just don't like her
I know I wouldn't like a person who spoiler[tells her friends when someone is a lying, manipulative ass]. I wonder how much of my dislike of Keima is intended by the writer, and how much is just a disconnect in perspective. In many ways, he's actually worse than Makoto from School Days, who had serious problems with selfishness and sociopathy, but never really set out to screw with girls' feelings the way Keima does. The fact that his life sort of depends on it maybe makes him not a bad person, but doesn't do much to assuage my visceral negative reaction.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Well the way I see it, he had two choices:

1. Let the girls holding the loose souls die, let the goddesses die, let himself die, and then let the whole world die by allowing Vintage to succeed in order to prevent one of these girls (Chihiro) from getting her heart broken

or

2. Make a few high school girls (and a high school teacher?) fall in love with him for a short amount of time and save everyone's life.

Hmmmm, tough choice.

Anyway, the last episode (Ep. 12) was really well done in my opinion. It got all the emotions there in a short amount of time and had some really nice artwork there at the end. The last shot of Chihiro looked much better than it did in the manga. Well done!

They skipped the epilogue this time though :/ I guess they didn't want it to be like season 2 where they tease all the new heroines but don't even go into their arcs. That and the time constraint.

Overall, I enjoyed this season the most out of all of them because it was an actual storyline instead of several mini arcs. They cut out TONS of stuff, but the important parts were all kept, I suppose. I give it an EXCELLENT just because it is THE WORLD!!! Now I have to wait like 2 years for next season Sad

I will always be bothered by the fact that they skipped over all the tender moments between Haqua and Keima. She loves him even without him having ever conquered her!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I liked this series, too - having an ongoing storyline where the stakes are high was cool. But I wasn't that thrilled with the finale. It does what way too much anime does all the time: doesn't leave enough time after the action climax to properly decompress. I feel like BOOM! ... and we're done. Feels very rushed. I have no doubt a ton of important stuff was left out. Too bad - the series leaves me on an incomplete, unsatisfying note.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12/Finale
Overall, I rated this very good.

This was pretty decent overall imo and I loved the finale as well. Pspoiler[oor Chihiro though. I could sense her feelings when she played that guitar in the ending like that. But otherwise, Ayumi looked adorable in that wedding dress. I was expecting the kiss so that didn't come as a surprise to me. Her Goddess looks kinda cool too like how I remember it from the manga.]

Anyways, the biggest disappointment some people might have is the fact that the series skipped over material in the beginning involving the other girls' routes as Keima kinda breezed it through in the first few moments of the pilot episode. I hope in the future if there will an OVA to adapt them similar to the Tenri OVAs.

Last edited by Stark700 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 12 (finale)

That was the best season yet. The only problem we might have is that both previous seasons could have a more light hearted episode to finish off the season, but there was no time here. In the episode Keima and Chihiro get a bit closer, Keima spoiler[completes his conquest of Ayumi, Tenri had some secret that was enough love to give Diana her wings, so we had all the goddesses]. Keima and Chihiro spoiler[leave and it is kind of heartbreaking as Keima really looks like he wants to comfort her, bring in the blue cat because I think Keima likes her]. I was okay with the song, and then I realized that the words held some meaning for Chihiro so I watched it from the beginning reading the lyrics. The spoiler[wings] bit was beautiful, not just for how it worked for the girls for the girls that had them, but what it had for Chihiro, I would say that she in my mind got a different type of spoiler[wings] for that.

Elsie gave a short speech as if everything has gone back to normal, but spoiler[this does not seem to be what has happened at all. In regards to Keima, despite seeing him in his room with multiple games, maybe as if he was in god mode], it was different, he spoiler[looked depressed, not a look of satisfaction]. It was Chihiro that Keima spoiler[apologised to, maybe it runs into I think she was the type of person that wants to be special, but in the end he said that she was not involved, she did not matter, something he did not actually believe].

I say that what this season needs is a good OVA, one that says what comes next, what was the fallout, some sense of closure or what is still open. I will rate this series Excellent, as it actually made me fall in love with a series I thought I was only partially interested in, I own the first two seasons on DVD now. I have quite a bit of interest in a good amount of the characters; Yui, Haqua, Tenri, Shiori, Tenri, Chihiro grew more to me, and even Keima had some character growth. If I had to say characters that would be great for an OVA for closure, it would be Kanon and Elsie who were largely absent here. There are so many characters that it can get a bit cramped to try and fit them all.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
good end, but they haven't decide on who can have Keima.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
good end, but they haven't decide on who can have Keima.

I only see two choices: 1) nobody, or 2) everybody. I vote for the harem ending. If anyone could pull it off Keima can. Remember he's the guy who can get 100 on every English test without taking any time off from gaming.

And the other sterling thing about him -- he's the guy who in spite of anything he says he actually cares about each of them. That's what Ayumi meant when she said she didn't trust his words but she would trust his feelings. The reason he cares is because he has to put enough effort into understanding them in order to get the ending he wants. Or vice versa. It might not be the kind of motivation the girls would say they want but it is enough for them to all fall in love with him.

At the end of the day it seems like the authors agreed with what I wrote earlier -- eventually the time comes for Keima to grow up and leave the 2D world for more worthy pursuits of his considerable talents. It isn't like he wouldn't ever be able to visit again -- just that he shouldn't do nothing else.
Morisummer500

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Might be one of the best animes with intriguing storylines and
great characters. elsie is adorable and Kutsuragi is fascinating, the
way he is able to manipulate girls to fall in love with him, and he learned everything about that because he's obssessed with playing
dating sims! Very funny when elsie wanted to wash his but and when she freaked out when Kutsuragi "confesses to her. She's also a
very kind hearted demon, like the demon from Pita Ten. everyone should watch the anime and read the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 24 of 24