• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Gundam 00 Film, Subbed 1st Gundam TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainbanana

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Gundam subtitled, finally! It's time to put our money where our mouths are gentlemen.

It's a shame that Kokoro Dons Island won't be included, but that isn't even nearly a deal breaker.

I hope that Zeta on Blu-Ray is next.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
About Fracking Time! I've been waiting on this news for the better part of a decade. They always said they couldn't release it subbed because of lack of a Japanese DVD. That issue vanished yeas ago. Good to see they've finally remembered us old Gundam fans. Best news I've heard all day (aside from the SF Giants winning of course).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:26 am Reply with quote
I never bought the original Gundam series release on DVD, even though I wanted to see it, because I was miffed that the series didn't include the Japanese voice track and subtitles. Now that it's finally coming out, I'll be glad to put my money down and finally own the series. If they keep original Gundam's fly disco-influenced opening song, I'll be happy. Smile

But what's that I hear about the Zeta Gundam release using dubtitling? I got the five volume double-disc release a few years back, but I've always held off on watching it because all I'd seen was the original Gundam movie trilogy (which was great, but I still wanted to see the original series in its fullness), but man...dubtitling would really be rain on the parade.

Also, I hadn't heard any news after the initial announcement of Turn-A Gundam being licensed for western release, but it is still coming, right? I'd like to buy that as well.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:35 am Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
But what's that I hear about the Zeta Gundam release using dubtitling? I got the five volume double-disc release a few years back, but I've always held off on watching it because all I'd seen was the original Gundam movie trilogy (which was great, but I still wanted to see the original series in its fullness), but man...dubtitling would really be rain on the parade.

The original limited edition boxed set release of Zeta had the dubtitles. The double-disc sets fixed the subs. I've never seen the original Gundam (series or movie trilogy) and I got through Zeta just fine.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
ittoujuu wrote:

The original limited edition boxed set release of Zeta had the dubtitles. The double-disc sets fixed the subs. I've never seen the original Gundam (series or movie trilogy) and I got through Zeta just fine.

Phew. Thanks! I can sleep a bit easier now. I'm sometimes paranoid about stuff like this, because I'll have watched something on a fansub, then buy the DVDs as a reaction to liking it, then not watch the DVDs for a year or two, then in the back of my mind I'm wondering "what if there are disc problems..." I had an issue with one of my Gundam Wing discs earlier this year in that kind of scenario, but Bandai did replace it for me, so everything worked out fine.

But that's a pretty cold thing to have happen to the buyers of the limited edition Zeta set. Being an early adopter always seems like risky business.
Nagatoka_Morito

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I already own the Gundam movie trilogy (which I find to be superior in nearly every way), but I'll happily consume the TV series to show my support for the brand (that episode 15 will not be included is a shame for my completionist's soul, but oh well). I'm also excited for Turn A, and hope that Ban-Ent will see fit to give us ZZ, and especially X (that show is a masterpiece, dammit!) at some point in the future.

As for K-On!, I'm pretty apathetic to dubs, but it seems kinda half-arsed to pull apart a show to shove in an English language track and then not provide English-language songs as well.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I think that people a disappointed with the fact that the songs aren't going to be dubbed because having it switch from English dubbed language to Japanese signing to be jarring so people want it to be all dubbed including the songs so it will flow well. We've been spoiled since they did it for Beck with Funimation.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
But what about those who didn't want the songs dubbed, cause there were a lot of people complaining about that possibility during the initial announcement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
But what about those who didn't want the songs dubbed, cause there were a lot of people complaining about that possibility during the initial announcement.

It seems that people are going to be upset about something no matter what Bandai does with K-ON simply because they're trying to make a suitable business decision that many potential consumers aren't going to accept.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
Gundam subtitled, finally! It's time to put our money where our mouths are gentlemen.

It's a shame that Kokoro Dons Island won't be included, but that isn't even nearly a deal breaker.

They can't even get CHAR'S COUNTERATTACK on BluRay, what makes you think they're gonna bring over a 50 episode show?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
A Zeta Gundam Blu-Ray release would be divine, but I'm not holding my breath.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:35 am Reply with quote
beanbandit wrote:
Not interested in the original Gundam TV series, the movie trilogy is the only way to experience the original Gundam IMO. I really have to question Bandai's Gundam strategy as of late as I'm not seeing this moving that well as I'm sure those Zeta movies haven't done well.

Gundam fans have waited years for the possibility of getting the orginal series subbed. The movies, while they are more of a convenience to the average buyer, are in the end, compilations of a TV series, which, in my view, are NOT real movies.

If Bandai catering to the fans every once in a while is a sign of a bad business strategy to us, then I fear for the future of classic anime.
guitarist52692

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I see a lot of people dissing the Gundam compilation movies because of the fact that they are compilations, but didn't those movies get made in the first place because Tomino had to make a bunch of comprimisesin the series, like pointless filler episodes and had to have that silly G-Armor? I was always under the impression that Tomino made the compilation movies because he wanted to show his true vision of Gundam, which didn't include a dozen of silly looking mobile armors/monsters of the week, and that silly merchandise attempt, the G-Armor.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
captainbanana wrote:

They can't even get CHAR'S COUNTERATTACK on BluRay, what makes you think they're gonna bring over a 50 episode show?

*ahem* It's actually 47 episodes... Wink

Bandai Ent knows we are into Gundam they just wait until the time is right (license drops low enough) to bring it over. We will get everything in time.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

*ahem* It's actually 47 episodes... Wink

Bandai Ent knows we are into Gundam they just wait until the time is right (license drops low enough) to bring it over. We will get everything in time.

Zeta Gundam is fifty episodes. :p
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9