• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Gundam 00 Film, Subbed 1st Gundam TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
I wanna know if people are upset that the songs are not in English regardless of who would have sung them or if people are angry over not getting to hear Vee sing those songs. She probably has herself singing them on Youtube or something so you could watch that.
My issue is, more or less, that the songs will not be sung by the actors in the dub, or someone who SOUNDS like the actors in the dub (in the off chance that said actor can't sing). I don't care about who's in the dub or whatever. I want it to sound consistent. If they can pull off singing in Japanese and still sound consistent, then that's fine... a little odd, but fine.

Also, imho, Fluffy Fluffy is Fluffy Fluffy. It doesn't' get manlier just because you don't understand what they are saying.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
K-ON is hardly even about singing, why get mad over the songs not being dubbed?
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I love you so much right now Bandai now I can finally get the first Gundam series to add to my DVD collection since I was too into Zeta to watch it when it was streaming on here and Crunchyroll. It looks like Bandai is not getting ZZ Gundam this year *sigh* maybe next year then?? I hope the 00 movie comes out soon sadly I will be missing out on it tomorrow or today Anime cry I hope I don't run into any spoilers before it comes out.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
First Haruhi-chan, now this... Bandai needs to work on how they split their shows.

I'd be willing to buy K-ON in 2 parts, but 4 parts is pushing it. The LE might be what makes it worth it though, since if they include tracks I don't have (that is, I'm assuming they'll use the character CDs), that's a $20 CD that I'd like to have.

Last edited by xBTAx on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

@Reibooi

How do you not get why people are upset? It's not a difficult thing to grasp. People are upset because it's an English Dub of a show that has a lot of singing, and none the singing is going to be dubbed. So it's kind of like we're only getting a two-thirds dub, which would make a lot of people upset. Also, because of the amount of singing, it will be all kinds of discontinuous, making it difficult to watch. Could you imagine watching Beck without the songs dubbed? Don't you think it'd be a little annoying to see it bouncing from track to track? It's one thing to not agree, but to not get why people would be upset is absurd.

Also, lots of stuff in Japanese doesn't work in English, but you know what good dubbing studios do? They make it work. I actually don't blame BangZoom, though, since they can and have translated songs just fine into English. I think this is just another case of Bandai cutting corners to save time and money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GW-9800

First Gundam subbed? Been hoping it would happen FOR YEARS.

Day one buy for sure.
wolve3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
@Reibooi

How do you not get why people are upset? It's not a difficult thing to grasp. People are upset because it's an English Dub of a show that has a lot of singing, and none the singing is going to be dubbed. So it's kind of like we're only getting a two-thirds dub, which would make a lot of people upset. Also, because of the amount of singing, it will be all kinds of discontinuous, making it difficult to watch. Could you imagine watching Beck without the songs dubbed? Don't you think it'd be a little annoying to see it bouncing from track to track? It's one thing to not agree, but to not get why people would be upset is absurd.

I get the point about consistency with the dub. However, stop exaggerating about how much of the show contains singing. 5% or less of the show is of the characters actually singing.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
@Reibooi

How do you not get why people are upset? It's not a difficult thing to grasp. People are upset because it's an English Dub of a show that has a lot of singing, and none the singing is going to be dubbed.

No, it didn't. 1/3rd of the show was the HTT eating cake and drinking tea. They only performed a song maaaaybe once every 7 or so episodes, if that. The show isn't at all about music, it's about the club messing around and being cute. This isn't Beck. This isn't Black Heaven, This isn't Detroit Metal City. And when they do bother to perform a song, it's usually in a school festival or something. You almost never see them practice.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
So much Gundam.....so little money,
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I am misremembering the amount of singing (haven't watched it since it ended), but it's not like there isn't any singing. This isn't Azumanga Daioh or Love Hina where there's only one singing part and it lasts for a minute, there are several parts, which is more than enough to knock one out of their "zone".

Perhaps the reason I'm upset is because English dubs that don't aren't completely in English are a huge pet peeve mine. Even leaving in honorifics piss me off because it's unnatural, just like having an audio track bounce between languages.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
14 episodes split across 4 DVDs?

4+4+3+3

We're back to singles!

I'll be waiting for the inevitable Anime Legends set.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
The news of a DVD release of Unicorn is somewhat smashing. Hopefully its format will prevent the price tag from being unappetisingly high.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Bandai!! Tales of the Abyss, original Gundam DUBBED!! Now just get us Gundam X, Tales of Vesperia movie, let alone Namco Bandai getting the bloody game already, and they'll be the best!
TsukasaElkKite

Yay for K-On! Very Happy
DavidShallcross

Reibooi wrote:
I mean if I remember correctly Fuwa Fuwa time is roughly translated as Fluffy Fluffy or something like that.

I also suspect a pun with respect to 4/4 time. I keep expecting a fan parody to come out entitled "Suri Fuwa time".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9