• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Gundam 00 Film, Subbed 1st Gundam TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm... I'm so happy!

A bilingual release of the original Mobile Suit Gundam! Oh god, thank you, Bandai!

Such beautiful news. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Subbed First Gundam? Really? Really? I am honestly pretty shocked Bandai is deciding now of all times to revisit First, especially since they have been pushing the movies for quite a while now. And the news about Turn A being sub only isn't really a surprise, unless its getting on TV or super popular, Bandai doesn't seem to be willing to spend for a dub.
redranger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather have Gundam 00 blur ays or the first season of GITS on blu ray. None of this shit interests me.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm really happy to see Bandai releasing Mobile Suit Gundam in both Japanese and English audio for the first time, but i'm a bit upset the 13th episode which was (by Tomino's request) not to be put on the new R1 DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zeguna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking literally yesterday about how I haven't gotten around to downloading and watching Gundam 0079, so I can't describe how excited I am to know I'll be able to finally buy it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, well I'll admit I was not a big fan of Gundam Wing, but original Gundam is supposed to be really good and it's a much older show and I've noticed that I really seem to like the older really good stuff more than some of the new really good stuff, so I might actually be checking the original Gundam out, not that it'll change my mind on Wing in the least.

Also, it seems 'bout friggin' time they put original Gundam out on DVD.
Dr.G

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I wonder when Turn A comes out... I hope they release it as a set like they did Zeta.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Dr.G wrote:
I wonder when Turn A comes out... I hope they release it as a set like they did Zeta.

I hope the set's a lot better than that one. I'm still smarting over it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
MS Gundam unedited and Subtitled on DVD?! WOO! HOO! I knew holding off on the compilation movie trilogy was the right move. Love me some old school mecha.

Also, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time on Blu-ray is also fine news. I enjoyed the movie a lot and getting in in High-Def will be a great excuse to watch it again.

Also Solid State Society. That'll be nice. Was that made with Theaterical release it mind? Is it native 1080p? That's kinda the big sticking point, I know SAC and SAC2 TV series were animated only at 480p, but I hold out hope that SSS is native HD, and will do Blu-ray proud.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

Also Solid State Society. That'll be nice. Was that made with Theaterical release it mind? Is it native 1080p? That's kinda the big sticking point, I know SAC and SAC2 TV series were animated only at 480p, but I hold out hope that SSS is native HD, and will do Blu-ray proud.

This is the second time I've read something like this on the ANN forums. I don't know where this "information" comes from, but it is wrong. One would think that the big deal made about GitS SAC being one of the first TV anime to be animated digitally in HD would be enough to quash such rumors, but apparently it isn't.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I suspect most of the facets of the K-On! release are licensing issues and anti-reverse-importation measures. I mean, DVD-only? A good portion of the show's fanbase (which have already found other excuses not to buy it, as seen in this thread) has likely seen 720p and 1080placebo Blu-Ray rips -- do Bandai and the Japanese licensors really expect to "compete with free" with standard-def video?

The singles format could easily be a measure against reverse imports of a relatively cheap set. And yes, $60 MSRP for 14 eps is cheap, particularly by Japanese standards. Then again, you'd think K-On!'s already sold enough DVDs/BDs in Japan that a few reverse imports wouldn't put a dent in profits. I have to question the Limited Editions though, given how well those played out with Lucky Star.

Just translating songs can be enough of a hassle, and dubbing them can add an extra layer of red tape. IIRC Funimation wanted to dub more OP/EDs in past shows, but couldn't do so because they couldn't get the legal clearances. As Sevakis has told us in past AnswerMan columns and ANNCasts, Japanese record companies are delusional and think their music can catch on big in the US -- hence the reluctance of some to allow dubbing of songs.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
So K-ON is going to be released in singles, and you got Cristina Vee to voice Mio, but you aren't going to redub the songs.

This is why I never buy Bandai.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful. Anime Legends Mobile Suit Gundam really is happening, with subs too.
I'm a little confused by the article: does this mean the Gundam 00 movie is definitely getting dubded? Also, what's the word been on acquring the 00 compilation movies?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

This is the second time I've read something like this on the ANN forums. I don't know where this "information" comes from, but it is wrong. One would think that the big deal made about GitS SAC being one of the first TV anime to be animated digitally in HD would be enough to quash such rumors, but apparently it isn't.

Really? I recall hearing that SAC is out on Blu in Japan already, and its not really looking so hot. (doing some quick checking, the video is only 1080i on the Japan boxset)

EDIT: On the other topic, why the HELL are people getting mad over an Anime company not Dubbing Japanese voiced songs in an Anime? Do they not understand how A)Difficult and B)TERRIBLE that would be be? Because that's what it would be. Difficult with terrible results. Music isn't like spoken words, the translation doesn't always fit the accompaniment, not to mention the sound of certain Japanese words work in the song, but English words would not.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

Really? I recall hearing that SAC is out on Blu in Japan already, and its not really looking so hot. (doing some quick checking, the video is only 1080i on the Japan boxset)

Anime is released on BD in 1080i when portions were originally animated at 30 fps. Since BD only allows for 1080p24 and 1080i60, 1080i is the only choice that doesn't involve either dropped frames or ghosting. It has little to nothing to do with quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9