• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Gundam 00 Film, Subbed 1st Gundam TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoofbites

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
So we still can't get that one Gundam episode in english? What was so bad about it that its been ommitted from every english release of the series?

Lots of off-model animation, for one thing. Here's one shot from that episode. As far as plot stuff goes, you're missing nothing.
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:24 am Reply with quote
Would have liked some news on the Turn A Gundam release - theres been suspiciously little news on it.

As for A wakening of the Trailblazer - its an unmitigated piece of crap that shouldnt be released outside of Japan. Have been a Gundam fan for almost 2 decades and that movie almost made me walk out of the cinema.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness I never bought the dubbed original Gundam series. I've been hoping for years that they'd release a subtitled set. Now my wish has become true!

As for the OP and ED themes missing on the Zeta set, the only thing Bandai can be faulted for is not announcing the fact until the set was released. If I recall correctly, the songs were missing due to the fact that Bandai couldn't get the rights to release them in the NA version.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
Wow, a great showing Bandai! That's why you're my favorite!

Finally, FINALLY we get the announcement I've been waiting for! The Gundam 00 movie is getting dubbed! I can't wait!

And then the original Mobile Suit Gundam is being released on DVD? Fantastic!

While I don't care about this personally, I was hoping the announcement that the K-ON songs will stay in Japanese in the dub would shut up some of the fans' whining, it was getting on my nerves. Unfortunately it seems they're split into 2 camps, one which doesn't want the songs dubbed and one that does. I'm sure if Bandai made the opposite decision just as many people would be complaining right now.

I very much like seeing all these Blu-Ray releases too! It may even be restoring some hope in me that we'll get the Gundam 00 movie on Blu-ray as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RedTail

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:20 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Thank goodness I never bought the dubbed original Gundam series. I've been hoping for years that they'd release a subtitled set. Now my wish has become true!

As for the OP and ED themes missing on the Zeta set, the only thing Bandai can be faulted for is not announcing the fact until the set was released. If I recall correctly, the songs were missing due to the fact that Bandai couldn't get the rights to release them in the NA version.

No, Toki wo Koete and Hoshizora no Believe were written to the tune of two Neil Sedaka songs from the '70s. Bandai was just too cheap pay the guy the paltry sum it would've required to get the rights to use a couple of long forgotten songs in N. America.
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote
raithnor wrote:
The refusal to dub one episode of MSG seems rather odd. Anyone know which episode and what actually happens with it?

It's called 'cucuruz doan's island'. There's a plot synopsis on the Gundam Wiki:

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_Episode_Guide#Episode_15:_Cucuruz_Doan.27s_Island

To be honest, I doubt it's much of a loss that it was cut from the western release.
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:19 am Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:

No, Toki wo Koete and Hoshizora no Believe were written to the tune of two Neil Sedaka songs from the '70s. Bandai was just too cheap pay the guy the paltry sum it would've required to get the rights to use a couple of long forgotten songs in N. America.

Long forgotten? Having seen them played at 2 fairly large Gundam concerts and covered in the recent "From Lantis" cover album, I strongly beg to differ. While not as much as, say, the music rights for a show like Macross where the music is more integral to the IPs identity and integrity, pretty much all songs linked to Universal Century Gundam comes at a premium price for use here in Japan.
Is this applicable to the US market? Heck no. But since when has Bandai every framed their business decisions in the context of the US market?
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:24 am Reply with quote
Ahh, actually misread your comment. Apologies.
liubei013

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
The singles format could easily be a measure against reverse imports of a relatively cheap set. And yes, $60 MSRP for 14 eps is cheap, particularly by Japanese standards. Then again, you'd think K-On!'s already sold enough DVDs/BDs in Japan that a few reverse imports wouldn't put a dent in profits. I have to question the Limited Editions though, given how well those played out with Lucky Star.

Whoa, wait a minute. Aside from the spat over non-dubbed songs, the other major issue was the 4-part release in conjunction with the pricing. I assumed (like most others, probably) that the 4-part release referred to the first season only. (which the pricing would trigger deja vu on par with Geneon USA)

Based on what you posted, would it follow more similarly to other major Bandai releases (e.g. 00 and Code Geass) in which the 4-part release is spread over both K-On! Seasons? (and that transcript didn't make that particular point clear either)

@Gundam: Oh, wow. Aside from Turn-A, there seems to be a lot more in the bag for Gundam fans, especially UC ones. Regarding the original MSG, I bought the compilation movies a while ago (first on VHS, remember those? then on DVD), but I was holding off on the original DVD releases of the TV series.

Unicorn finally on DVD and the two eps that it will include....that's good news, albeit a little high on the cost, imo. And they're releasing the 00 movie, not surprising but quite welcome.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
...So when's the K-ON! manga being released? Smile
xBTAx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
...So when's the K-ON! manga being released? Smile

Not particularly on topic, since Yen Press is releasing it, but the first volume is out in late November/early December with the second one in March next year, I believe. There's only four volumes, so hopefully they'll all be out before 2011 ends.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Its grate news that the 1st Gundam Is getting re released with subs. I'll definitely be buying those again. As for the omitted episode, that really doesn't bother me sense it was at the request of the creator/director.

I'm still a little disappointed that theres still no news on a Banner of the Stars 3 license. Oh well, Bandai still made my year.
B.K.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the new release of Mobile Suit Gundam will have the original opening and ending instead of the ones they made for the first release.
SilverPhantom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Sweet. Can't wait for the 00 movie. I love the 00 series so much.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit I'm rather indifferent about Turn A Gundam's not getting a dub. Not happy but not sad either.

Regarding the original TV MSG series, I'm a bit...unsure. I may end up buying the sets for the heck of it, sooner or later, but the compilation movies remain the far superior version of the story. Which is, yes, more of an exception than the rule as far as those are usually concerned.

And, of course...the fact Gundam Unicorn is also going to be released on DVD should make it a lot easier for me to collect, so Bandai absolutely deserves my thanks for that.

I have nothing to comment on the Gundam 00 movie at this time. Lots of mixed feelings seem to be in the air.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9