• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GLORIOUS RETURN: Oreimo #1-4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Awesome show is awesome.

However, it sort of reinforces the bias I have against watching subs. Every time my eyes wandered to the animation on screen, I'd miss something that was said. And that happened a lot.

Which brings me to another point: this player is really hard to pause. You can only pause it by clicking that little button in the bottom right. Can't you make it so that if you just click the screen once it pauses? Like YouTube.

Basically, I really enjoyed this show. The only problems I had were with the video player interface itself. Everything else was awesome.
chicogrande

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Very nice sharp animation and the story is in par with the apparent trend of some shows featuring Otaku and other social outcasts. Brings to mind Funimation's streaming of Princess Jellyfish. Oreimo is fun and features a look into the Otaku phenom from the Japanese point of view. Cute character designs with Kirino-chan a bona-fide male Otaku magnet will also attract any fangirls who suffer for their hobbie like she does.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Anime News Network, for clearing up the debacle with this title.

The series is turning out great and I will post my opinion in the thread in the Anime forums. As I was watching the series, I noticed some weird grammatical issues in the subtitles for episodes one and two.

Episode 1
16:22 to 16:30
Kirino: Even you can nice things sometimes!

Did you mean to say: Even you can say nice things sometimes! ?

Episode 2
14:12 to 14:16
Saori: Indeed. I felt it was mine personal duty ...

Did you mean to say: Indeed. I felt it was my personal duty ... ?

Thanks for doing an awesome job getting this out in a timely manner. I look forward to the rest of the series over the next couple of weeks.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
TAs I was watching the series, I noticed some weird grammatical issues in the subtitles for episodes one and two.

Thanks for that. The first item was indeed a mistake and has been fixed. The second one was intended to reflect Saori's oddball fake-Samurai-speak and was an intentional choice by the translation staff.
toyNN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Is Oreimo and the other simi-cast going to be offered without ads and 720p? I've not seen a reposting of the "premium" offer before the issue happened. Thanks.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:
Is Oreimo and the other simi-cast going to be offered without ads and 720p? I've not seen a reposting of the "premium" offer before the issue happened. Thanks.

This confused me too since I was looking for the button on the ep. 1 page. Its not on that one but is on the other episode pages. When you click to episode 2 there is an ad to the upper right of the vid offering premium upgrade. Its also hidden in the news bulletin on the front page.

animenewsnetwork.com/video/premium/
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm really liking this show, especially after watching ep 2. I luvd the banter between Kirino and the loli-girl. It was hard to keep up, but hilarious. Thanks ANN for bringing this back!
toyNN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:
toyNN wrote:

This confused me too since I was looking for the button on the ep. 1 page. Its not on that one but is on the other episode pages. When you click to episode 2 there is an ad to the upper right of the vid offering premium upgrade. Its also hidden in the news bulletin on the front page.

animenewsnetwork.com/video/premium/

Thanks I see it now on the pages for the other eps (other than #1). Works. 720p and no ads are worth a few bucks. Oreimo is as good as previews and reviews made it seem...and funny - eps 2 spoiler[meeting your first otaku friend with differing opinions..very funny]
siradix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Ironically, that missing line (now restored) might explain the different ways of saying big brother...

Oreimo Ep1 wrote:
Every different character type calls me, "Onii-chan", "Aniki", "Niini", "Onii-chama", etc., with adoration... Each one does it in their own special way! That's just, aahh...

It's true that the English language might not have that many ways to accurately say "Big Brother." But we still have many ways to similarly convey the same meaning: "Big Brother," "Bro," "Bubba," "Brother," "Brother Dear," "Bud," "Beloved Brother," "Brother Dearest," "Darling Brother," etc.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
siradix wrote:
It's true that the English language might not have that many ways to accurately say "Big Brother." But we still have many ways to similarly convey the same meaning: "Big Brother," "Bro," "Bubba," "Brother," "Brother Dear," "Bud," "Beloved Brother," "Brother Dearest," "Darling Brother," etc.

You're giving me bad flashbacks to Sister Princess.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
siradix wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Ironically, that missing line (now restored) might explain the different ways of saying big brother...

Oreimo Ep1 wrote:
Every different character type calls me, "Onii-chan", "Aniki", "Niini", "Onii-chama", etc., with adoration... Each one does it in their own special way! That's just, aahh...

I'm also having bad flashbacks of Sister Princess. I hope that anime companies learned from that and will NEVER EVER do it again.

It seems like a reasonable thing at first, then you experience it and realize OH GOD NO. People do not talk like that. Learning five or six words of moonspeak will not kill you.
kouryuu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
Hey everyone, Kouryuu here, translator for the show.

I wanted to make sure it was alright before posting this here, but I got the okay, so here it is!

In ep 4, as many of you probably saw by now, there are several Wikipedia pages on Siscaly. I did actually take the time to translate them, they just couldn't all fit given the current video player. So, I'm going to post them here for you all to enjoy!

First part that he's scrolling through in the video was cut off to the right, so the following is all that was available on-screen during the scroll:

==========================================
What is Siscaly?
Made by Alice+,-
or Siscaly for short.
You cultivate a little sister character to do battle-
connect to the internet-
when you win a match, the losing chara-
cultivation elements were cut-
the arcade version’s additional elements and-
append disc, “True Sister Wars Sis-
==========================================

And here's the full-page that's on-screen:

===============================================
Must See for Beginners -Walkthrough Instructions for Campaign Mode!
First, go online to raise your little sister’s level efficiently!
There are two basic modes in Siscaly’s online mode.
・Versus (Siscalypse) Mode
Fight against the little sisters across the nation, aiming to become the top little sister.
・Cooperative (Co-op) Mode
Join forces with the little sisters across the nation to clear various missions and prevent various apocalypses.
===============================================

And yes, Saori's medieval-ish speech is to reflect her similar mimicry of old Samurai talk.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:18 am Reply with quote
I watched the first three episodes, and while I love the show and didn't notice any grammar errors (YAY!), something bugged me:

When there's background talk, can you NOT translate that in the future? In episode 2 when they're at the IRL Meetup, trying to read was headache-inducing with all the different lines being thrown up at once and I would read the wrong lines, or at least the unimportant ones, several times. I mean, at one point there were 4 lines up at once, and 2 of them were just background muttering that didn't affect the show at all. It'd be one thing if this was a SHAFT show and the stuff in the background was either relevant or a funny add-on, but it's not and it's unnecessary to translate, at least in my opinion. Now if something important or note-worthy were to be said (like if someone called her a monster), then yea, translate that, but I don't see a bunch fujoshi going on about couplings as important.

I don't mean to sound rude if that's how I'm coming off, because I do really enjoy this show and I especially like the way Saori's speech is translated (I love it when translators get creative). I just think it'd be easier to follow if not every background line was translated.

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:26 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
When there's background talk, can you NOT translate that in the future?

I second this request. It is irritating.

Thank you as well.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
When there's background talk, can you NOT translate that in the future?

I second this request. It is irritating.

We kind of have to translate it. While you may not want it translated, other people would complain if it were not. What we're looking into is for a way to present it visibly different from the foreground conversation. Unfortunately this is a bit hard to do in our player at present.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6