• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Juuni Kokki End at Episode 45

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:18 pm Reply with quote
so what's the big deal? i've never even heard of it.
Myka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:34 pm Reply with quote
WHAAAAAA!!!! NO!!!!!! I LOVE that series!!!!!!!!!!!! Why can't it be 100+ eps. like Inu Yasha!?!?!

Drat.....

So Juuni kokki is ending at ep. 45. Last I heard there was going to be 60+ eps. Was there originally going to be more than 45? It would really really stink if the series ended short. It is such an epic series that it needs a really fulfiling ending. I have seen up to ep. 36 and I don't know if they can rap it up by ep. 45. I hope they don't pull a Hikaru no Go Ending on us, if you know what I mean...... Mad
bowerst2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I will tell you why this is a big deal. Imagine if this coming december, the next Lord of The Rings was not released and cancelled indefinitly. This is exactly what this is like to fans of this series.

This is a series based on a set of novels in Japan. It is very detailed and very epic. In fact the setting of the Twelve Kingdoms is so fleshed out and detailed that they could make 300 episodes of this show and it would still be interesting. So to stop at episode 45 is leaving a lot of the series untold. Think Berserk anime.
Otaku no Densetsu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:16 pm Reply with quote
bowerst got it right on the head this is exactly like berserk... major cliffhanger stufff here... one of the main reasons tv anime makes me sooooo angry... i wish everything was OVA!!!!
molloaggie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:40 pm Reply with quote
This is extremely unfair to us Americans! We can't read the books to find out what happens! Crying or Very sad

I bought the first disc of Twelve Kingdoms and was so disappointed to read this. I just don't know if I want that kind of cliffhanger.
jcflip80

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah, heard about this last week....basically the creators of the show did not have enough info for the show to be completed (which I believe was supposed to be around 68 episodes). They are waiting for more books of the series to come out before converting the rest of the story into an anime. In the novel, Yokou was not the main character and changing the series into Yokou's point of view is a daunting task in and of itself, but they did an excellent job and it was a great decision on their part. Also, they need more info to make each of their furture story arcs to seamlessly flow from one to the other. Fans of the novel will realize that they added a lot of stuff to accomplish this and it worked great. I for one desperately want to see the Taiki story arc to get finished. Basically we have to wait for more books to come out so the anime will be finished, which won't be for a long, long time unfortunately. So for anyone who has never seen this series, check it out, you will not be disappointed. Also, about what Myka said about Inuyasha, it isn't fair that shows like Inuyasha are over the 100 episode mark and real epics like Juuni Kokki get the short end of the stick (even though I do still watch Inuyasha....but I only watch it so I can see it end). So, anyways, check this series out NOW!!!
ShimmerNymph

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:52 am Reply with quote
Oh, I see. I was about to have a heartattack. But do you think that it is an assured thing that they will continue the series once the books come out? I would hate to be left hanging.
Juuni kokki has quickly become my favorite series, I have only seen 11 episodes but the superior animation, plot, and characters have quickly won me over. I am quite curious to know why this anime doesn't have as large a fanbase as many other anime (which I consider) of inferior quality.
Well as long as they eventually end the series properly and release it in the U.S.A. I don't mind waiting. By the time Episode 45 is released here, maybe they will already have begun production of the rest of the series, here's to hoping. Wink
jcflip80

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:19 am Reply with quote
The website and creators of the show never said they will stop production of this anime forever, it's just been halted so they can gather more information to continue it. Of course fans of the series are gonna hate the very long wait, but I'm sure they can also appreciate the intentions of the producers. As long as quality is always considered first, I know I can wait for the conclusion of the series. Also, FYI, episode 39 marked the halfway point of the series and for those who don't like waiting should just stop watching after they watch episode 39 as things are very nicely brought to closure and could really have been a great ending to the series. Episode 45 should bring closure, but probably only to the short story arc that occurs after episode 39, whereas episode 39 brought a good conclusion to the entire series.
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:26 pm Reply with quote
well, it could be like VHD where there are several novels and a fair amount of popularity yet little intrest in actually making anime of all the stories available. Heck, the even skipped the second novel to make bloodlust into a movie instead. But worry not, in due time they will surely continue the anime.
Tuna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:03 am Reply with quote
Here is a link to a translation of the notice posted on NHK's site:

http://htd.sharkface.net/public/JuuniKokki.txt

It's in a plain text file, so copy and paste it into wordpad for more easy readability.

Tuna
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:24 am Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
This is extremely unfair to us Americans! We can't read the books to find out what happens!

[edit: removed most of this post as it was completely incorrect]

Aside, it looks like there is interest in licensing the novels. Although Del Rey hasn't licensed them, they did explain that they were thinking about it. So North Americans might be able to read the original novels soon ehough.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Tiresias

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:48 am Reply with quote
When you say it hasn't been licensed yet you mean the manga and novels right? Because I've seen the 12 Kingdoms(that is Juuni Kokki right?) anime available for sale at Best Buy, first volume was released like a month ago. Besides, the Encyclopedia says it was licensed by Media Blasters. Or are you talking about there in Canada?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:45 am Reply with quote
Tiresias wrote:
When you say it hasn't been licensed yet you mean the manga and novels right?

I am apparently talking out my ass. I completely forgot that MB had licensed and started releasing 12 Kingdoms.

<sigh>

It happens sometimes. Most of the stuff on ANN goes through editing by at least 1 other person before being posted, so our mistakes are caught internally, but here on the forum I'm free to make a fool of myself. Sad
Korbis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, I actually quit watching Inuyasha because it seemed like very little changed and the characters did not develop, nor did much in the way of the story (it seemed like they should have had all the shards and yet only a fraction of the jewel was together lol)

Junni Kokki is by far my favorite series both novel and anime. I ADORE the character development and I wish they would continue with the series, I've had the anime for years now, and I've been picking up the books in English as they are released, but it's still frustrating that anime's like Naruto, Inuyasha and Yu-Gi-Oh produce tons of episodes (no offense Naruto fans, I enjoyed it until the first tournament thing), and rare gems like Juuni Kokki don't get as much attention as I feel they deserve. I am VERY grateful that the novels are being translated into English and even more grateful that they are available in hardback. I NEED IT TO LAST FOREVER!!! Haha.
It's been so long since I read the last novel that before I continue I'm actually going back and starting all over from the first novel again. I feel I've forgotten details and I don't want my enjoyment to be lessened by missing facts that were previously covered. To me, it is like a savory meal, and I want to make sure I can taste every flavor. Plus, it will help me take it a little slower if I read the other books first, since I know I'll be craving another book once I'm done.
I do hope they continue with the anime, or at least find out where I might be able to get some information on if it's even in pre-production. =/ I do agree that there could be 300 episodes and it would still be interesting, the world she has created is simply amazing. I really hope they translate her short stories as well as 12 Kingdoms since they're set in various kingdoms, it'd be like dessert!

[Edit: While we appreciate your comments this article is 7 years old, so it's pretty much past its expiration date. - Keonyn]
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1