• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: X Japan's Yoshiki, Stan Lee to Create Comic Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Awesome - awesome to the max.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
MIGHT be good...might be hilariously dumb.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
sounds like it can be good if Stan Lee is apart of it
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
my mind goes to the last comic Stan did about a singer superhero Nightcat.
mistress.hide-hime-sama

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:36 am Reply with quote
I intrested to see where this goes. I've been a fan of both Yoshiki and Stan Lee since I was a child.
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I have to say to me this will be epic one way or another. Since its about a drummer who hits certain notes to be a super hero it will probably be a stretch but what marvel comic hasn't? lol.

Im interested to see the comic myself and chances are since X Japan is so big in Japan we will also see an anime eventually probably voiced by the rest of X Japan id watch that
mistress.hide-hime-sama

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I am curious though, will it be a comic or manga? I know what Stan Lee is famous for, but since Yoshiki is Japanese, would he try to get it in a manga form? Hmm...I hope that doesn't sound raseist of me. It wasn't ment to be. I am just curious.

Also, I know that Stan Lee is doing at least one manga, although I've yet to see it.

Either way, I am willing to give it a try.
crunchycat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
mistress.hide-hime-sama wrote:
I am curious though, will it be a comic or manga? I know what Stan Lee is famous for, but since Yoshiki is Japanese, would he try to get it in a manga form? Hmm...I hope that doesn't sound raseist of me. It wasn't ment to be. I am just curious.

Also, I know that Stan Lee is doing at least one manga, although I've yet to see it.

Either way, I am willing to give it a try.

its apparently going to start off as a comic book and motion comic here in america, It didn't say anything about manga yet, thou i'm sure eventually Japan will pick this up in one form or another.

Stan Lee worked on a manga named Ultimo which does have an american release already and an anime Heroman.
mistress.hide-hime-sama

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Aw, okay. Anime smile
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
The success of this project comes down to who is on their creative team. (Writers, and illustrators) and not Stan Lee or Yoshiki.

As a long time fan of Stan Lee's work (easily 20 years) he is not a good writer and takes too much credit for creating the Marvel Superhero Universe. As the former chairman and publisher way back before their 90's bankruptcy, he could stamp his name on any marvel comic.

Only when he actually started to make his own work when he was removed from Marvel in the late 90's and early 2000 you got see some horrible comic projects like Ravage 2099, Stripperella (shutter...)

Some projects like Heroman are really good but Ultimo was more of a production of Hiroyuki Takei.

Come to think of it, he announced like tons of other comic projects at NYCC (MTV Geek, working with some other dude, and on and on.) For an 86 year old man, it seems like Yoshiki and POW! Comics (Stan Lee's production comic) are actually working together not Yoshiki and Stan Lee personally. At his age, he can't personally juggle all these projects at once.

And in Yoshiki's case, this guy seems so hard-up to break into the mainstream US scene and see the same success he experiences in the Japan. Well God bless him, he's trying.

Bottom line, this is a vanity project that can only be good if they have a good ghostwriting team and illustration team hidden in the background.

Last edited by stagedive_25 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
stagedive_25 wrote:
The success of this project comes down to who is on their creative team. (Writers, and illustrators) and not Stan Lee or Yoshiki.

You underestimate Stan Lee's fans.
crunchycat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
stagedive_25 wrote:

You underestimate Stan Lee's fans.

also can underestimate yoshki's US fanbase.

But agreed Stan wasnt the driving force as much as he was back then, but the man is nuts enough to try many different things in his life being 86 and whether it fails or passes the man still gets known for doing everything and anything he can in his life.....I would love to go that way.

Having Stan's name on something does draw to it, which things would probably be different if his name was never on things, and Yoshiki himself is a man who is about the same do anything and everything while you can, live for the moment and at the same time donates hundred of thousands to charities so people love him for that, plus the millions of fan girls for him ^^.

A good team is needed for this to work and I expect to see a few images of Stan Lee in the comic while we are reading it (for those who do of course).

But who knows how this will go two big names (mostly Japan for Yoshiki aka Toshi or whatever Stan will call him in the future) will get known, we will find out how in time lol
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
crunchycat wrote:
But agreed Stan wasnt the driving force as much as he was back then, but the man is nuts enough to try many different things in his life being 86 and whether it fails or passes the man still gets known for doing everything and anything he can in his life.....I would love to go that way.

The man jut announced 9 new projects on his twitter feed (including this)

So, yeah, he is just that kind of nuts.
crunchycat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
haha but he is an awesome type of nuts, as he has shown in the past.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1