• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Video: New Funimation Dubs posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Before anybody asks, these have the Oasis song replaced with a J-pop song. Funimation only was able to get home video rights to the song, not broadcast rights. The DVD and BD release is has the Oasis song.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Not to turn this into an extension of the OreImo saga, but I am glad that ANN's video service is still running after all that. I'm glad because one day I hope to be able to watch videos on ANN. To be able to do that I either need to: use a proxy (immoral), move back to the States (expensive) or wait until ANN gets big enough that they can license videos in Australasia for streaming.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh Edo Rocket's dub sounds VERY good!!!

I'm glad Greg gets a leading role! That poor man got stuck playing an abused best friend the last time he got a role...
He's really good at playing a firework otaku! Reminds me of Yamazaki from NHK.... Very Happy

I want to try out The Wallflower. I saw what episodes ANN posted of Nerima Daikon Brothers and was quite impressed with the humor!
Is... Wallflower like that???

Ironically though, these postings have 2 of my new recent favs: Casshern Sins, and Oh! Edo Rocket.
I was quite impressed with the direction the show went in. Given that I was expecting a strict gag show.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Not to turn this into an extension of the OreImo saga, but I am glad that ANN's video service is still running after all that. I'm glad because one day I hope to be able to watch videos on ANN. To be able to do that I either need to: use a proxy (immoral), move back to the States (expensive) or wait until ANN gets big enough that they can license videos in Australasia for streaming.
... and gets a business model that allows them to license videos in Australasia.

Even with their existing catalog, I'd pay $3/month, on top of the regular subscription, to have the right to turn off streaming ads on any three titles in a given month, even if titles were broken down into 3-month season's worth. That'd be a minimum of $0.07/episode, and if applied to a simulcast $0.20~$0.25/episode. As it is, the subscription does not offer anything worth the hassle of PayPal, since I don't mind the banner advertising on the main site pages.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Before anybody asks, these have the Oasis song replaced with a J-pop song. Funimation only was able to get home video rights to the song, not broadcast rights. The DVD and BD release is has the Oasis song.

To be strictly accurate, they could only get the rights for the first episode on the DVD/BD (well, to be even more accurate, it's not that they couldn't get the rights but that they couldn't afford them since they have had to pay through the nose for every instance of the song)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Which blows too, since Oasis owns their label. So we know it's just the band being jerks and not any faceless/emotionless suits.

Something tells me that the band's separation also had a lot to do with it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
The Casshern Sins dub is decent, for Funimation. Love Monica Rial as Ringo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
I'm glad Greg gets a leading role! That poor man got stuck playing an abused best friend the last time he got a role...
He's really good at playing a firework otaku! Reminds me of Yamazaki from NHK.... Very Happy

What about the recent Sengoku Basara dub as Uesugi Kenshin?
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I've been meaning to see The Wallflower

At least i think that's the show I've been meaning to see

I've been meaning to see alot of shows.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
"Cue the dramatic flashback scream!" Laughing

The Oh! Edo Rocket dub is great. I hope this catches on in America.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
"Cue the dramatic flashback scream!" Laughing

The Oh! Edo Rocket dub is great. I hope this catches on in America.

Agreed. A great dub for a very funny show; a wonderful surprise. Oh! Edo was freakin' hilarious and wonderfully original/new, plus I liked their musical score.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1