• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Section23 Films March 2013 Solicitations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
via TRSI...
Quote:

Clipped via PR...
Quote:
Title: BODACIOUS SPACE PIRATES COLLECTION 2
Published by: Sentai Filmworks
Distributed by: Section23 Films
Run Time: 325 min.
Street Date: 3/5/2013
Format: DVD
Language: English & Japanese with English Subtitles
SRP: $59.98

Title: BODACIOUS SPACE PIRATES COLLECTION 2 BLU-RAY
Format: BD
SRP: $69.98

Title: RUROUNI KENSHIN [NOTE: this is New Kyoto Arc]
Run Time: 90 min.
SRP: $29.98

Title RUROUNI KENSHIN BLU-RAY [NOTE: this is New Kyoto Arc]
Run Time: 90 min.
SRP: $39.98

Title: PENGUINDRUM COLLECTION 2
Run Time: 300 min.
Street Date: 3/12/2013

Title: PENGUINDRUM COLLECTION 2 BLU-RAY

Title: VAMPIRE PRINCESS MIYU TV COMPLETE COLLECTION
Published by: Maiden Japan
Run Time: 650 min.

Title: FATE / STAY NIGHT TV COMPLETE COLLECTION
Run Time: 600 min.
Street Date: 3/19/2013
SRP: $49.98

Title: FATE / STAY NIGHT TV COLLECTION 2 BLU-RAY
Street Date: 3/19/2013

Title: AMAGAMI SS+ COMPLETE COLLECTION
Street Date: 3/26/2013
Language: Japanese with English Subtitles
SRP: $49.98

Title: PHI-BRAIN SEASON 1 COLLECTION 1

Title: PHI-BRAIN SEASON 1 COLLECTION 1 BLU-RAY

Last edited by WTK on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:51 am; edited 3 times in total
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little surprised to see a license rescue for the Vampire Princess Miyu TV series. I picked up the old Tokyopop singles used off Amazon a while back, they were all cheap but the shipping did add up a bit. The consensus always seemed to be the TV show was not as good as the OVA series (not sure if that is still officially in print but it seems to still be readily available) but since I am predisposed toward horror titles I did pick it up.

I'm definitely interested in getting Penguindrum but I will wait for a full-season set (maybe in 2014).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone explain to me why exactly Sentai is releasing Fate/Stay Night, a show from 2005 that has been released several different times including as a complete collection, across two separate releases? I know this is its first BD release but really?

And seriously..."complete collection 2" is not a thing. If you have to add a 2 it has ceased to be "complete". Rolling Eyes
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
And seriously..."complete collection 2" is not a thing. If you have to add a 2 it has ceased to be "complete". Rolling Eyes

I've railed against the absurdity of this nomenclature for years, but the distribution industry doesn't appear to be listening...
manicli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Can anyone explain to me why exactly Sentai is releasing Fate/Stay Night, a show from 2005 that has been released several different times including as a complete collection, across two separate releases? I know this is its first BD release but really?

Because many people missed out on the releases which are OOP such as myself and some would like to see it on BD just like the movie.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I will be getting both 2nd collections of Space Pirates and Penguindrum since I already pre-ordered the firsts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
manicli wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Because many people missed out on the releases which are OOP such as myself and some would like to see it on BD just like the movie.

That has literally nothing to do with my question. I'm not asking why they're re-relasing this show. I'm asking why they have to split it into two parts. At this stage, surely we can just go right to a single complete collection can't we?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
The answer to that question is painfully obvious: Because they like money and and two collections is twice the money, thrice when the "Complete Collection" comes out in a year or so.

As for the list, I'll be getting the Rurouni Kenshin OVA and maybe buy Penguindroum at some point when there's a complete collection.
supercreep

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
How anybody has the patience to wait for the magnificence that is Penguindrum, I will never know.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

My best guess would be that the BD rights cost was high enough that they felt two collections was the best way to make it back. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense as many times as it's been released on DVD here. It could just be an odd Japanese licensor requirement too.

It makes more sense for them to release two $60 MSRP collections instead of one at $120 because more people would be saying they'll wait for a sale or bitch about it being overpriced due to sticker shock even though the price is actually the same as the two collections are.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Naturally, Sentai is releasing the Fate/Stay Night in two parts because they believe (correctly, I'm sure) that they'll make more money that way. Besides, there is a logical consistency to it. All their new 2-cours titles get released in two parts, so to avoid confusion it makes sense to keep the pattern. If they had released F/SN as one collection, sure as shit, customers would complain the next time a completely new 2-cours title came out in two parts. I can just hear it now, "Wadeaminit - you released F/SN as a complete collection right out of the gate, why aren't you doing the same with this one???"
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
If they had released F/SN as one collection, sure as shit, customers would complain the next time a completely new 2-cours title came out in two parts. I can just hear it now, "Wadeaminit - you released F/SN as a complete collection right out of the gate, why aren't you doing the same with this one???"

But Fate/Stay Night isn't right out of the gate. It hasn't been in over half a decade. Just because this is Sentai's first kick at the can doesn't mean they shouldn't take into account other releases of this content. I mean, I don't see them charging $30 for Ninja Scroll either. I'm happy to pay $80 for a new and recent show. I just don't feel like spending that on a re-re-release of a show. If a show was already available in one set then there isn't any reason you should be releasing it as two sets. That's just going backwards.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Very valid criticism. I tend to use the same wording on these listings from years past to keep consistency (same thing with set vs boxset). Bandai Ent. was the one that used this the most. In any case, I will take it into consideration from here on.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:29 am Reply with quote
@ ikc - yes, I understand and you understand that F/SN isn't right out of the gate. I'm simply pointing out that that distinction would likely be lost on a certain number of Sentai customers, so I understand the company's desire to preserve a consistent release pattern so as to not sow confusion. None of which changes the fact that the primary reason for it is to make more money, of course.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:43 am Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:
My best guess would be that the BD rights cost was high enough that they felt two collections was the best way to make it back. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense as many times as it's been released on DVD here. It could just be an odd Japanese licensor requirement too.

BD rights would be my guess too. However your mention of Japanese licensor requirement is very possible as well. Kazé France release the series in two Blu-ray sets as well (earlier this year). It's possible that Japan had a say in this (or influenced it).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2