• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blu-ray thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:
I have the Blu-ray of Akira and it looks phenomenal. Definitely worth it. It's a little on the pricey side though some places.

It may be worth noting that the Akira blu-ray only includes a dubtitle track of the English dub. Not that the dub is terrible, but it's definitely more liberal than straight translated subtitle track from the old Pioneer releases. Very disappointing. I would agree, though, that the video is beautiful and blows the DVDs out of the water.

I recently rented the U.S. release of GitS 2.0 since it includes the original version of the film. I can't comment on the Lucasian version (is there an actual term for mucking with a previously released film?) since I could only stand to watch a few minutes, but the original version looked terrible! A really sub-par upscale, as far as I could tell. I compared it to my old Manga DVD on my PS3, and DVD actually looked better than the BD. I wouldn't recommend buying if you're after an HD copy of the original film.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Legends Of The Dark King: A Fist Of The North Star Story
Rin: Daughters Of Mnemosyne
Slayers Revolution
Slayers Evolution-R

I have recently been buying some Blu-rays but so far only for titles that are released here in HD. I've been thinking about buying these four sets but i'm not too sure at the moment due to these being upscales and i've heard about how some upscales released here have had some problems as far as audio & video quality is concerned so if anyone here owns any of these sets, could you post some details about how they turned out and about whether or not they're worth double-dipping?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
So it seems Aniplex USA (or Funimation) is going to be releasing the Baccano BD box set here.

I'm iffy on this. I've never watched the show, and I really want to, but if the R.O.D. BD Box Set is any kind of precedent, it'll be pretty expensive.

Then again, having seen the screen comparisons, it's a huge improvement over the DVD release, and would kind of be worth it.

I'll wait until an official announcement until I start thinking about juggling my check book. Hopefully Funimation is releasing it instead of Aniplex.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
So it seems Aniplex USA (or Funimation) is going to be releasing the Baccano BD box set here.

I'm iffy on this. I've never watched the show, and I really want to, but if the R.O.D. BD Box Set is any kind of precedent, it'll be pretty expensive.

Then again, having seen the screen comparisons, it's a huge improvement over the DVD release, and would kind of be worth it.

I'll wait until an official announcement until I start thinking about juggling my check book. Hopefully Funimation is releasing it instead of Aniplex.

I do know that if it's priced similar to ROD BD set, I have a feel what Mr. Casey may do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote
As for BD my policy is as follows

It's just not worth the extra cash unless:
1.) It's to acquire something that I really want
2.) It hasn't been released here in the states on DVD
3.) It needs to have English subtitles at the very least

All three of those must apply to the release otherwise no sale.

Either that it has to be one of those combo sets that includes both.

So I only own:
Dance in the Vampire Bund Complete Collection (Combo)
Eden of the East: King of Eden (Combo)
Ga-Rei Zero Complete Collection (Combo)
The Garden of Sinners Complete BD boxset
Rideback Complete Collection (Combo)
Time of Eve ONA Complete Series
TO (Combo)

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

I spontaneously started banging on my computer desk, yelling random shit such as "AW, F**K!!! AW, SHIT!!! F**KIN' A, MAN!!!! F**KIN' A!!!!! YEAAAH!! YEAAH!!! NIIIIICE!!!!" the moment I read the first sentence of that post. Very Happy Twisted Evil Cool

Thankfully, I'm home alone at the moment. Laughing

Anyway, that's freakin' awesome news. I mean, I still haven't gotten around to getting a blu-ray player yet, but that'll come soon enough. I originally planned on importing this shit once I did, but now that it's coming here, there will be no need for that. As Baccano! is one of my top 5 anime, I'm obviously pretty damn excited about this.

Hell, price isn't even a factor for me a this point. I'm WILL get this shit. Twisted Evil

As a side note, if anybody's offended by all my random cursing, just lemme know and I'll turn it down. Laughing
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

I spontaneously started banging on my computer desk, yelling random shit such as "AW, F**K!!! AW, SHIT!!! F**KIN' A, MAN!!!! F**KIN' A!!!!! YEAAAH!! YEAAH!!! NIIIIICE!!!!" the moment I read the first sentence of that post. Very Happy Twisted Evil Cool

Thankfully, I'm home alone at the moment. Laughing

Anyway, that's freakin' awesome news. I mean, I still haven't gotten around to getting a blu-ray player yet, but that'll come soon enough. I originally planned on importing this shit once I did, but now that it's coming here, there will be no need for that. As Baccano! is one of my top 5 anime, I'm obviously pretty damn excited about this.

Hell, price isn't even a factor for me a this point. I'm WILL get this shit. Twisted Evil

As a side note, if anybody's offended by all my random cursing, just lemme know and I'll turn it down. Laughing

I was going to buy the BD set already out ... until I read that it didn't have English subs then I said no way Jose. Now hopefully if a Baccano! BD does reach R1 land, I might have to consider buying it.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
The BD does have both subs and the dub. They were just taken down for an unknown reason (well, it's known now...).
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
^Uh, you sure on that one, buddy? It had the (amazing) English dub, so I find it hard to believe the sub wasn't also added. Surprised
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
^Uh, you sure on that one, buddy? It had the (amazing) English dub, so I find it hard to believe the sub wasn't also added. Surprised

Here is what I saw from HMV Japan for the Baccano BD that came out earlier in the year.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3915323

Quote:
Genre : Anime Catalogue Number : ANZX9691
Format : Blu-ray Disc Label : Aniplex
Issued : 26 Jan 2011 Item sourced from : Japan
Aspect : WideScreen Colour : Colour
Subtitles : Japanese
Sound : Japanese - 2.0ch (stereo) Linear PCM, English - 2.0ch (stereo) Linear PCM
Number of Discs : 3
Other : Box Collection, 2007
Copyright : (C)Ryohgo Narita・Media Works/Project Baccano!
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh. Well, sorry to hear that--kinda weird, if you ask me.

Not like it matters anymore, though, since we're getting this one now. Smile
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006, if you read my last post, you'll see that the listings for the subs and dubs were taken down. They are still on there.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
asimpson2006, if you read my last post, you'll see that the listings for the subs and dubs were taken down. They are still on there.

I didn't read it earlier so I should probably read things before I go posting.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
According to bored@lazy on AoD, Madman will be releasing a BD art box for K-ON!

I'll probably end up buying this immediately, but still wait out on the singles. I really am a sucker for art boxes.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
So a while back the Strike Witches Viridan Collection only listed on Amazon was changed to a DVD/BD combo. There was no kind of confirmation, so it was assumed to be an error like Amazon is prone to. Well, WTK has learned from Shawne Kleckner that this will indeed be a Combo, but it won't be released until around Fall.

So I assume it's a safe bet that the second season will also be a combo. I wonder how this will be handled Limited Edition wise...

I don't care, I'm sold no matter what they do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 31