• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Pilloried Talk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can happily skip over all the crap and the sturm and the drang and skip to The World God Only Knows and sleep happily.

It's Sturm und Drang! Not strurm and the drang! Doesn't anybody know their 18th century German counter-enlightenment philosophical movements anymore? What are they teaching schools these days, anyway?

Anyway, on the subject of crappy R1 releases, I myself own a few "sub-par" DVDs, but I view it from the stand point of a collector. I get more joy out of actually having a shelf filled with DVD releases than I am upset by the lack of resolution of the video or problems with sound quality. Plus, even the current cheap packaging of R1 DVDs looks better on a shelf than a fansub-filled DVD-R scribbled on with sharpie. Or something.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Also, wow, that Flake is a poster child for the "internet douchebags you should ignore while making comics" I was referring to. So yeah, ignore that Bryan and keep bringing us more awesome Answerman columns Smile

And re:presentation- if I want to own a copy of a series or see a series, I will buy it however I can- whether it's a clearanced VHS of an anime I'd like to see, a dvd-boxset with an ugly Green Spine [I *heart* the save line, even if it's booger coloured], a copy of Clash of the Bionoids [let's face it, DYRL is a long ways off. But Bionoids? Easy enough to find], or wincing a little when I bought that copy of Gunbuster on dvd [and again for Gunbuster 2], or buying that cheap, subonly edition with no qualms about there not being a dub (even though I tend to prefer dubs), I'm going to try my best to get that show. I won't always get it right away, and might have to be patient, but if it's worth seeing I'll buy it. If it's a good show, it'll be just as good when I get a chance to buy it as it would be if I watch it right now.

Though most of the time, presentation is generally pretty decent [ie- quality translations, video quality that looks excellent on most tv-sets, and has workable menus/extras/subtitle etc], and on occasion downright excellent [Tweeny Witches box, Gunbuster's box or my Haibane Renmei dvd's come to mind]. Plus, sometimes horribleness can make it it's own strange treasure, like Garzey's Wing's dub or Bobobo's bizarre dvd menus, dubtitles or incredibly pixelated trailers.

Last edited by Paploo on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Panon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you are a fan of something, it is your duty to support it and buy it and enjoy it.

Yeah sorry, but throwing good money after bad quite frankly is for idiots.

Because while not buying a sub-par product might inadvertently send the message "people didn't want this product", buying a poorly released one absolutely says "the way we released it was good enough"
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Best flake ever!

Anyways this is how I look at sub par products. Sure I would like something that would be of higher quality, but in cases where that doesn't happen, sub par product is better than no product.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
toyNN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And it's not as though Crunchyroll is specifically avoiding these "quality" shows either. They're trying to show everything they can logistically get their hands on. It's just that, unfortunately, those higher-caliber productions usually elude them. Either a different company like Funimation gets a hold of them, or the licensing agreements are so cost-prohibitive that it simply doesn't make strict business sense to license it.

I've read other comments like this and for just once will someone please SPECIFICALLY tell me what are these "quality" anime shows being alluded to?

I think Crunchyroll gets a lot of the best shows for that season (like The World God Only Knows, and Otome Yokai Zakuro this Fall). Plus its all about CR's affiliation with TV Tokyo and now also Bandai. All the shows on TV Tokyo are on CR. If some "amazing, quality" show isn't on TV Tokyo its more than likely not going to part of CR.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Essentially, I'm completely fine with paying for the product that I want, not necessarily the product that I get.
This is something I personally do not agree with, especially with licensed releases. Sometimes there are screw-ups on the Japanese side (the recent spate of horrible, HORRIBLE, Q-tec butchered releases, for example) but more often than not, bad releases are due to sheer incompetence. Bad (or no) telecining, baked in interlacing artefacts, bitrate starvation, poor encoder settings, overfiltering, etc. These are all signs that whoever is being paid to make the DVD/BD does not know how to do their job.
Pay for the product you get. If the product is of sub par quality, then instead stick a couple of thousand yen or so in an envelope and mail it to the animation studio with a note saying how much you enjoyed the series. It'd probably be more than they'd have received from the DVDs too.
umbraltwilight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Sanctimonious must have been his word for the day.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Best flake ever!

Anyways this is how I look at sub par products. Sure I would like something that would be of higher quality, but in cases where that doesn't happen, sub par product is better than no product.

And even then, generally what most people label as sub-part is *okay*. Both of Brian's examples are things that most people who buy dvd's are okay with, or will overlook just to have the show.

The only dvd quality I can think of that ultimately worked against a company were Illumitoon's dvd's- pressed and distributed by a bargainbin dvd distributor [Westwood? I think that was their name], dubtitled, and strange menus with youtube resolution trailers as extras. And even then, they quickly turned around and traded back those dvd's for dvd's with remastered subtitles. Though that first kick off was what killed them in.

Same w/Toei USA who had dubtitles AND wierd dvd quality issues, though I think it was moreso their title choices that did them in- it seems dubtitles combined with other bad DVD stuff is generally what dooms an anime company. Though they're really the only 2 that's happened to in such a swift fashion. Dubtitles on their own seem to be more of an annoyance then a complete and total doom- just look at Pilot Candidates (Bandai's sole release w/dubtitles. Zeta Gundam's got corrected in subsequent reissues.), which though OOP at the moment, was in print for *ages*. Because lots of people just shrugged and bought it.

[meanwhile, edited, dubonly dvd's of kids anime? Those tend to do pretty well. Because kids and their parents tend to go for those. Hence why there's a bajillion YuGiOh and Pokemon dvd's, and TV-cut versions of Funi's YYHakusho and DBZ DVD's from when they were on CN]
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Marvel and DC deal primarily with their respective stable of established characters, so if anyone wishes to approach either publisher with an original idea for a graphic novel, you would have to first secure work there as a writer or an artist. Not an easy task, to be sure. And if you somehow manage to do that, allow for several years to become well-established. But bottom line, they are likely to focus on their established cast of characters and not take a chance on an original idea, especially in this uncertain market.

Switching to another topic, that flake this week is a strong contender for the top flake of all time!!! Of course his story is not unique as there is an entitlement mentality that yearns to be nurtured among his type.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
JaQiLinOtaku wrote:
Oh man sorry but I have to say that Flake letter was a nice laugh! Good to know that fictional characters can be better people than actual people.

However I resent that dig at Reborn!, Brian. :/

Zac wrote:
Oh and Howl wasn't supposed to be me. That's why he was saying "hey answerman".
Funny you mention that because actually for ages until I saw an actual picture of you I always had this image in my head of Zac/Answerman = Howl Anime hyper First impressions stick I guess Laughing

I've been a fan of Reborn! for a while, and while I have never touched the official English manga (the translations are so horrible that it's disgusting) I gott agree with his point about Reborn!.

It started off good. Sure it had it's shonen cliches, but over all it wasn't that bad. It was my #4 favorite...

That's all in the past.

As of late, Reborn!'s gotten stale, cliche, predictable, and boring. Even the art work seems to have fallen in quality.
I've found myself asking if Akira Amano is even trying anymore. The story isn't as interesting and the art work is getting worse (it's not horrible, it just seems like she didn't really try as hard in some panels).

Having fight scenes and characters powering up isn't what makes a good shonen manga (I admit though, it's kinda part of it).

One Piece has been running for about 10 years and it's artwork is still great. The story is still interesting. Hell, it's hard to tell what's going to happen next because Eiichiro Oda is a freakin' genius. That's what makes a good shonen.
Reborn! is getting stale and seeing as how the anime ended a few weeks ago, I can only guess that it's popularity might take a bit of a fall.

And I gotta agree with Brian (my only exception to buying being English Reborn!). I love One Piece with the passion of a thousand suns, if not more. The fact that they call Zoro "Zolo" really pisses me off... It sounds immature, but names are part of the story, so name changes really do bug me. Same goes for Detective Conan (or as it's called in the release "Case Closed"). Jimmy to Shinichi really kills me...
So why do I buy it? Aside from the fact that we should support the industry, I buy it because it's worth owning. The translations as a whole aren't bad, the manga quality is nice, and they're both one of my favorite shonen series. I don't see a reason not to buy it.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
My personal take on this issue is that a quality product is a quality product, no matter the presentation. I've bought Castle of Cagliostro and Wings of Honneamise twice, each. And neither time has the presentation been ideal.

You're logic is a bit confounding. Ok, these films are "quality" films, but as a product the film and the presentation of the film are not one in the same. That is to say, presentation can significantly alter the content of the film, such as with Project A-Ko in Japan and it's altered aspect ratio or the early Bubblegum Crisis DVDs which weren't much more than a pixelated mess. These releases are exceptionally dysfunctional, yet we wouldn't pass that judgement on to the actual content itself. Or at least, we would try not to. Nevertheless, a releases quality impacts the viewing experience; just look at the revelatory presentation a truly wonderful remaster such as Akira on Blu-ray can inspire in the wake of what wasn't an entirely poor DVD beforehand.

I understand and share the sentiment that a poor release isn't a reason to never see something that needs to be seen. But why not indulge in something terric with a terrific release in the meantime? You'd have a hard time trying to own everything that is good.

Brian wrote:
animorphic

*Anamorphic. Unless of course you wanted to draw a comparison to Animorphs?

Melanchthon wrote:

Anyway, on the subject of crappy R1 releases, I myself own a few "sub-par" DVDs, but I view it from the stand point of a collector. I get more joy out of actually having a shelf filled with DVD releases than I am upset by the lack of resolution of the video or problems with sound quality. Plus, even the current cheap packaging of R1 DVDs looks better on a shelf than a fansub-filled DVD-R scribbled on with sharpie. Or something.

It's funny, but DVD/shelf fetishism seems like a fandom unto itself.

Last edited by dewlwieldthedarpachief on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fabe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
You know I think remarks like that "liberal communist" crack from the flake should be considered the same as a Nazi insult and covered under "Godwin's Law"
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
The first three Hey Answerfans answers were really interesting, and I find I am in the same boat as them. They made some really good points. I am with Eric. Often, the career you choose is going to have some impact on anime. I am a musician in training, and like Eric, I have been picky about what I will buy, read and watch. My career choice has left me unable to watch whatever anime I can, but it's a good thing. One shouldn't be hauled up watching something 24/7, and besides, why waste time on crap when you can focus your energy on the good stuff? Cool
Vashfanatic made a good point. It's not that one grows out of anime, it's just our tastes change. And then, there are some anime that are aimed for an audience that some of us might be too mature for (and by mature, I mean old, but not in a bad way.)
Ian K. I am definietly with you on this one. Except that I am not losing interest in anime, I'm just losing interest in some anime. (Some examples, Beyblade, Shaman King, Sailor Moon, Naruto). I have picked and chosen the anime that I want to focus on and that's it. Also, like Ian K., I have found that there are some books that I am interested in as well, and I am having more appreciation for some movies. Despite having other interests, I will never stop loving Cowboy Bebop, Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun and some others. Anime smile

Those last answers were downright depressing, I'm sorry but they were. Confused I do agree with the person that said "losing interest" is more appropriate than "outgrow", though. To me outgrow means when someone gets over a phase, like someone being emo for awhile, and then they "outgrew" it, and started dressing or acting, un-emo (if that's a word.) I think "losing interest" fits here, as anime is a medium, not a phase. Losing interest in something just means you either found something better, can't find anything in the medium of your choise anymore, or your depressed. (Loss of interest is/can be a sign of depression.)
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Brian Hanson wrote:
Ian K. wrote:
I'm not going to stop liking ... Haibane Renmei....
It's nice to see an under-appreciated work get a mention! Smile Surprised Very Happy
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Brian Hanson wrote:
Ian K. wrote:
I'm not going to stop liking ... Haibane Renmei....
It's nice to see an under-appreciated work get a mention! Smile Surprised Very Happy

Since when is Haibane Renmei under-appreciated? I've never seen anyone give it anything but high praise. Now it is perhaps unknown since it's a whopping eight years old (sarcasm), but it certainly isn't under-appreciated. However, with Funimation rereleasing it next year, I'm sure that problem will be rectified as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5