• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Pilloried Talk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
JaQiLinOtaku wrote:
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
JaQiLinOtaku wrote:
However I resent that dig at Reborn!, Brian. :/

[Lots of text, don't want to clog up page sorry.]

Haha, Reborn! is the only long running shounen series I regularly follow & is my all-time favourite manga so I'm just a biased fangirl. Wink
But honestly no matter how undeniably great One Piece is, no aesthetically minded person like myself (i.e a self-confessed bishie lover/fujoshi Razz KIRABOSHI!) could possibly compare the two side by side & say that One Piece is more appealing, based on the art alone.

If you're not gonna buy the official releases due to them being 'crappy', that's fine, but only if you actually tell them that's the reason. Otherwise the companies aren't gonna know why they failed and what they can do to improve for next time.
However I can see where the gungho 'I'm gonna buy it anyway because I love it so damn much' attitude can easily win out, as I still own all the crappy Viz volumes of Reborn! ...because I love it so damn much. xDD

I love bishies too, but there's gotta be more to a manga than just good looking characters. Substance is what matters. As of late, it seems Reborn's only attractive feature are the good looking characters. I can't imagine it getting as popular like other shonen series.
:/ Here's hoping it gets better. It's been going down-hill since the end of the TYL arc.
gungho... LOL I've never, in all my years, heard or seen that word till now.

I usually buy the Japanese volumes, but even now I'm not sure it's worth the money anymore.

I kinda miss aggressive answerman xDDD I love this answerman too!!
miken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Being a longtime reader of the manga Bakuman. (and manga in general) I've come to have a good understanding of how the Japanese manga industry works.

...and suddenly i lost all interest in reading any further.
JaQiLinOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
I love bishies too, but there's gotta be more to a manga than just good looking characters. Substance is what matters. As of late, it seems Reborn's only attractive feature are the good looking characters. I can't imagine it getting as popular like other shonen series.
:/ Here's hoping it gets better. It's been going down-hill since the end of the TYL arc.

I usually buy the Japanese volumes, but even now I'm not sure it's worth the money anymore.
Personally, I really like the direction it's going in and have never felt all that dissatisfied, I just accept and enjoy whatever happens. 8D;;

Shocked I actually googled 'gungho' just now to make sure it meant to other people what it meant to me in case I committed some terrible linguistic faux pas. Well I'll be, apparently it's actually a misconstrued Americanism. Razz

Hmmn, I have been a subscriber to CR for almost a year now & even thou I only joined to watch one show in particular (no guesses as to which) and I'm region blocked from a lot of content, I still feel it's worth it to support legal streams, even if I don't like every single video they put up.

I'm approaching the 8 year mark as an 'anime/manga fan' and over time my love (*coughobsessioncough*) has only gotten stronger and stronger. At the moment it just feels so ingrained in who I am as a person that it seems impossible that I could/would ever grow out of it. I suppose it helps that my BFF and 70% of my friends are also 'enthusiasts'. Anime hyper
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
JaQiLinOtaku wrote:
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
Shocked I actually googled 'gungho' just now to make sure it meant to other people what it meant to me in case I committed some terrible linguistic faux pas. Well I'll be, apparently it's actually a misconstrued Americanism. Razz
A "misconstrued Americanism"? I've always defined it as a state of zealousness/enthusiasm; as in: Adam is quite gung ho about the project.
kameoosama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
The stuff about comic publishing was pretty spot on, though to put things in perspective, there are several pubs who specialize in original graphic novels that aren't artsy fartsy or Marvel/DC clones, with a decent amount of reach, though most online manga fans tend to ignore their output... [snip long, but basically accurate and readworthy post]

So in essence there are a ton of ways, but it's not easy to get a ton of renown. Even if you have a good idea and good execution you could toil in obscurity forever. If you really believe in your story though, well tell it through whatever means and remember you can always self-publish although I don't know what the guidlines are to get it distributed through Diamond and if you do that you'll probably have to do your own promotion too.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
JaQiLinOtaku wrote:
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:

Personally, I really like the direction it's going in and have never felt all that dissatisfied, I just accept and enjoy whatever happens. 8D;;

Hmmn, I have been a subscriber to CR for almost a year now & even thou I only joined to watch one show in particular (no guesses as to which) and I'm region blocked from a lot of content, I still feel it's worth it to support legal streams, even if I don't like every single video they put up.

I'm approaching the 8 year mark as an 'anime/manga fan' and over time my love (*coughobsessioncough*) has only gotten stronger and stronger. At the moment it just feels so ingrained in who I am as a person that it seems impossible that I could/would ever grow out of it. I suppose it helps that my BFF and 70% of my friends are also 'enthusiasts'. Anime hyper

I wish I could agree. There has to be a limit to cliches. I admit every shonen has it's shonen cliches, but hitman reborn has been taking it to infinity and beyond!
The plot in itself wasn't bad. I can really only think of two mafia anime/manga (Baccano! and Reborn!). The characters were mostly likeable. And the idea of loser to hero, while not completely original, was nice. The art got better and it was impressive.
Then came the ending of TYL & Shimon arc.
The art went downhill, it was getting predictable, and boring. The charm I once found in the series has depleted.

lol yeah but I've never met any person who says "gungho" xDD

And also, I think I'm the only one who wishes Answerman reviewed something. I bet it'd be funny as hell.
JaQiLinOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
A "misconstrued Americanism"? I've always defined it as a state of zealousness/enthusiasm; as in: Adam is quite gung ho about the project.
Lol, that is indeed the definition but I was referring to it's etymology. ^^
The linguist Albert Moe studied both the origin and the usage in English. He concludes that the term is an "Americanism that is derived from the Chinese, but its several accepted American meanings have no resemblance whatever to the recognized meaning in the original language" and that its "various linguistic uses, as they have developed in the United States, have been peculiar to American speech."

InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
I wish I could agree.

Well I hope that one day you can regain your enjoyment of it!
I don't think I've ever said gungho in my life out loud but I like using my vocablary and deemed it appropriate for the statement I was trying to make. xD

(Apologies for turning this thread into an English lesson. Anime hyper)
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
JaQiLinOtaku wrote:
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:

I wish I could agree. There has to be a limit to cliches. I admit every shonen has it's shonen cliches, but hitman reborn has been taking it to infinity and beyond!
The plot in itself wasn't bad. I can really only think of two mafia anime/manga (Baccano! and Reborn!). The characters were mostly likeable. And the idea of loser to hero, while not completely original, was nice. The art got better and it was impressive.
The art went downhill, it was getting predictable, and boring. The charm I once found in the series has depleted.

And also, I think I'm the only one who wishes Answerman reviewed something. I bet it'd be funny as hell.

Hey now, you forgot about the most important mafia-based manga: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 5: Vento Aureo.

Anyway, I'm like everyone else on the terrible release issue. I have a line, and if the amount of terriblosity in their release crosses it, I don't buy it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:04 am Reply with quote
The flake's email brings up something that doesn't make much sense to me. Why is it that people think that being told they should buy the shows they like think that they're being told to buy everything they've ever seen? Any reasonable person would know that if you didn't like something, there is no reason to buy it.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
regarding the flake this week:

i, too, am of the opinion that there's a 70% chance that it is an obvious troll trying very, very hard to get a mention in my column and therefore validate himself (or herself, i guess) to the internet at large. somehow.

but, BUT! there's that 30% chance that the email i got was a sincere, honest appraisal of my abilities as a writer and as a human being by a confused, angry person.

that 30% was simply too good to pass up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
JaQiLinOtaku wrote:
But honestly no matter how undeniably great One Piece is, no aesthetically minded person like myself (i.e a self-confessed bishie lover/fujoshi Razz KIRABOSHI!) could possibly compare the two side by side & say that One Piece is more appealing, based on the art alone.

I dunno, I've known quite a few fujoshi who are just obsessed with One Piece. The tightly-woven bonds of nakama-hood on a ship in the middle of the sea where the men drastically outnumber the women? It lends itself to it nicely. As for the art, well, a lot of them redraw it when it comes time to make their smut.

Lately I've been of the mindset that I ought to try reading One Piece just to test whether it hasn't jumped the proverbial shark the way other series have. I hear Naruto and Bleach fans complaining about that all the time, but One Piece? Never. This intrigues me.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
kameoosama wrote:
Paploo wrote:
The stuff about comic publishing was pretty spot on, though to put things in perspective, there are several pubs who specialize in original graphic novels that aren't artsy fartsy or Marvel/DC clones, with a decent amount of reach, though most online manga fans tend to ignore their output... [snip long, but basically accurate and readworthy post]

So in essence there are a ton of ways, but it's not easy to get a ton of renown. Even if you have a good idea and good execution you could toil in obscurity forever. If you really believe in your story though, well tell it through whatever means and remember you can always self-publish although I don't know what the guidlines are to get it distributed through Diamond and if you do that you'll probably have to do your own promotion too.

Then again, for many, it's not really about fame, it's about getting a chance to do your comics, and maybe make a few bucks while you're at it. There's also lots of artists out there actually making a living at this most fans have never heard of. I mean, I doubt most anime/manga fans would know who Jan Dureseema is, and I imagine there's lots of more recent superhero fans who would have to scratch their heads for a moment, but she's been doing pretty solid, regular work for over 2 decades now, often on some pretty notable properties. Most comic artists tend to develop small, dedicated followings, and even more notable ones still have to do tons of selfpromotion.

Diamond used to be more open to new publishers, but after some shifts in the economy a few years ago, they changed their guidelines in terms of what level of sales they needed to carry people. Some manga fans might recall that, as it affected some of the smaller manga pubs at the time. New small distributors popped up as a result though. And there's lots of folks who just self-distribute.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
JaQiLinOtaku wrote:
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:

Hey now, you forgot about the most important mafia-based manga: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 5: Vento Aureo.

To be fair, I've never read Jojo's Bizarre adventure... (I've been meaning to but I'm up to my neck in anime and manga I've fallen drastically behind on.)

vashfanatic wrote:
JaQiLinOtaku wrote:

I dunno, I've known quite a few fujoshi who are just obsessed with One Piece. The tightly-woven bonds of nakama-hood on a ship in the middle of the sea where the men drastically outnumber the women? It lends itself to it nicely. As for the art, well, a lot of them redraw it when it comes time to make their smut.

Lately I've been of the mindset that I ought to try reading One Piece just to test whether it hasn't jumped the proverbial shark the way other series have. I hear Naruto and Bleach fans complaining about that all the time, but One Piece? Never. This intrigues me.

-is a fujoshi with great love of One Piece in all it's entity- Yeah. Though I mainly love One Piece for it's adventures, art work, and characters. Not because I think two guys should be together -_-

One Piece is just adventure after adventure, and it's never boring. It, for some odd reason, never gets old. Since the first episode, I knew that no matter how long, I'd love this series. We don't have long training episodes in One Piece. At most we see Zoro lifting weights for 2 or so minutes. (That's AT MOST.) While on their adventures they grow as people and friends (aka Nakama). The instances where they show how far they'd go for their friends (even the calm, bad-ass Zoro, who seems to not give a damn) are heartwarming as hell.
No offense meant to Naruto or Bleach and it's fans but, ninja's and dead people got nothing on this.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

I really like One Piece; it's the series I've read the most volumes of, though that may partially due to the fact that Ouke no Monshou isn't translated into a language I can read. While Oda does have some dumb moments (spoiler[Davy Back fight? Geh.)], overall he does a good job of keeping the story interesting and not narrating too many of the fights. I also find his female characters pretty believable. Nami's past remains one of my favorite cycles and even made me tear up, no mean feat for a shonen action manga. She may be the boobs of the operation, but she's smart. Plus as a self-confessed pirate buff, I love all of the historical references - even lesser knowns such as Danish female pirate Alfhildr/Alvida gets an appearance.

It does scare me a bit what the fujoshi do with the series. I guess I just don't understand it. And I have to admit that the heroine of My Girlfriend is a Geek annoyed me beyond belief. So maybe I'm just a curmudgeon when it comes to that. I think I'll go be the crazy lady who sticks her head out the window and yells at kids to turn that damn music down.
Cephus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
Brian, I'm usually with you on most of your opinions, but I can't get behind you on buying every seriously botched release just because you like the show. Yeah, you can bitch all you want on the internet and that may or may not get something accomplished, but these companies are in this business for profit, and if they're coming out ahead at the end of the day, they're not gonna care about a bunch of angry rants. Vote with your wallet first, people... Then feel free to tell them why you didn't buy their product.

That's exactly true. We, as consumers, need to support quality, not just existence. We can look at this from a non-anime standpoint as well. Not long ago, in response to lots of people demanding the release of the original, non-"special editioned" version of the Star Wars trilogy, George Lucas put it out, but it was a horrible version. It was the laserdisc release, not cleaned up, it looked horrible and the only reason Lucas did it was because he wanted to make some money. Should we buy that crappy version just because we want to support Star Wars? Of course not!

If consumers buy bad releases, it just encourages them to make more bad releases. If we don't demand quality, why should these companies bother putting it out? All they care about is money, so long as they get money, they're going to do it as cheaply and easily as possible.

I agree, not only should we tell these American companies that we refuse to buy their sub-standard products, but we ought to be telling the Japanese that these companies are putting out sub-standard products and why we refuse to buy them. Maybe the Japanese companies will try to have a little more control before they sell the foreign rights to their shows. After all, if nobody buys the DVDS because they're crap, then nobody will be licensing the shows from Japan, thus costing the Japanese money.

I only buy quality. If you cannot put out a quality product, you won't earn my dollars, period.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5