• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind GN Box Set

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barciad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
The best 'finished' manga that I've ever read. Only the work of Naoki Urasawa comes close. Makoto Yukimura's 'Vinland Saga' could threaten, but recent production has been sporadic. That said, I haven't read 'Berserk' yet, and if it is as good as everyone says it is, well then maybe.
Also, I know this will not go down well with some, but I found Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou hard to read. Very nice setting, well made and good characters. There was just no narrative drive.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:47 am Reply with quote
I do find it curious why they decided to cater to hobbyists with the Japanese sound effects. It sells at mainstream prices and even has a description of Miyazaki on the back. It seems like they were trying to market it to a larger audience. It's not that amusing to have to look at a glossary just to know the sound of gun shot or whatnot, unlike in Dune where the glossary formed a bible of terminology.

It is a very nice set though and it comes with an cool poster. I can't really complain with such a deal and overall high quality on the thing.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:19 am Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
I do find it curious why they decided to cater to hobbyists with the Japanese sound effects. It sells at mainstream prices and even has a description of Miyazaki on the back. It seems like they were trying to market it to a larger audience. It's not that amusing to have to look at a glossary just to know the sound of gun shot or whatnot, unlike in Dune where the glossary formed a bible of terminology.

It is a very nice set though and it comes with an cool poster. I can't really complain with such a deal and overall high quality on the thing.

Miyazaki's sound effects lettering is very much part of the art itself.
Replacing them would really take something away from the original work, and having the translations in a glossary is the best compromise for something classic like this I think.
I know this sounds pompous but it doesn't take that much studying (maybe a day or two) to learn katakana and then since they're sound effects you can just read them yourself!
Although it's not always obvious what the sound effects are supposed to be if you're not used to it (a doorbell chime is"kin kon" instead of "ding dong" for example).
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:25 am Reply with quote
Altering sound effects that are incorporated by the artist into the artwork is just... madness.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote
How does this compare to the earlier English-translated release?
halochief_90

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:17 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I know this sounds pompous but it doesn't take that much studying (maybe a day or two) to learn katakana and then since they're sound effects you can just read them yourself!
Hmm, if really only takes a few days to learn then I guess it really isn't a problem. I'll probably familiarize myself with them before I continue reading.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
Bloody'ell I thought this was one of those necroposts. I've had my copies of these since 2003. and are the crown jewels of my collection. I thought Nausicaa.net said 13 years of work, but regardless, it is without a doubt the Rolls-Royce of manga, similar to which I have not read yet. If Miyazaki was so willing he could easily get two more movies out of the rest of the story, but alas he doesn't like to revisit old productions sadly. It's when one reads the first few chapters of the manga that one realises just what a dog's dinner the first movie was, even without "Warrior of the wind"(God that was criminal), so maybe he realises he would have to remake the first to complete the rest, in order for the movies to make sense and at his age, he just can't be arsed. Ahh well, I'll aways have the manga. Rolling Eyes
Ian K

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
If there's one manga - no, one comic - that should be on your shelf, in my opinion, this is it.

That being said I haven't picked up the whole series. Yet.

Quote:
How does this compare to the earlier English-translated release?

I'm curious about this myself. According to Amazon the height and width are the same as the very nice softcover release. But I'm not sure if it includes all of the fold-out color art pages. Either way, the increased durability that comes with hardcover is probably enough to get me to buy this edition, even though I already have the first volume of the softcovers.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

To expect someone to spend two days studying just so that they can read a comic book is pretty insane.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the glossary format, I'd rather see the sound effects placed under the frame. That way the art is unaffected, but the translation is near-by. Best compromise IMHO.

-t
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
My only quibble is that the few typos that existed in earlier editions are still there.

Otherwise it is a gorgeous set and should be on everyone's shelf.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* To double dip or not to double dip?

The very day that I heard Viz Media was re-releasing Nausicaa, I had just received Volume 7 and the Watercolor Impression book from Amazon.com.

Now, I'm still not sure if I want the two volume Hardcover Box Set. My Paperbacks are in good condition and haven't "yellowed" yet; although, I'm still tempted to rip out the color pages and hang them on my wall.

As much as I enjoy the story and world building of Nausicaa, the artwork is just superb. The insects and molds are so wonderfully detailed; you can really tell Miyazaki studied many different groups and orders of invertebrates. The crosshatching and penmanship is painstakingly gorgeous. Even if it does feel a bit 'too' much at times, I could just go back and look at the art for hours~
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Planning to pick it up at the next paycheck.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
samuelp wrote:

To expect someone to spend two days studying just so that they can read a comic book is pretty insane.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the glossary format, I'd rather see the sound effects placed under the frame. That way the art is unaffected, but the translation is near-by. Best compromise IMHO.

-t

Well, nothing prevents them from reading it, just it would help them enjoy it more (no more flipping back to the glossary).

The problem with putting things in margins with manga like this is that there are often just too many sound effects and it's hard to identify which is which. Works okay with less action based manga though, I'll say.

For anyone who does read a lot of manga, though, the time spent in learning katakana pays off pretty quickly since so much manga these days doesn't replace sound effects. Start with ドキドキ and go on from there!
Katakana sound effects also happen to be some of the most "fun" parts of Japanese to learn anyway. Impress your weeaboo friends and online pals by spicing up your discourse with katakana *キラ*
Surprise your parents with a seemingly fluent control of Japanese exclamatories ドカァァァァァン!!!
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
But I'm not sure if it includes all of the fold-out color art pages.

yes. it comes with everything the original had plus a poster
Ian K

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
yes. it comes with everything the original had plus a poster

Nice . . .

Thanks for that!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2