• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Next Ghibli Movie

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:07 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this will improve Japanese/Chinese relations...Also, given the problems with Geisha, I wonder what will be the nationality of the voice actors.
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:49 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I wonder if this will improve Japanese/Chinese relations...

That's a good point, because they're a bit tense. This should be interesting.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:49 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Also, given the problems with Geisha, I wonder what will be the nationality of the voice actors.

Oh, they'll be Japanese, no doubt. Miyazaki has always stated that his films are aimed at the Japanese audience, which to him, consists mostly of children and their parents. A Chinese spoken, Japanese subtitled version just wouldn't work. Ghibli has always worked in the Japanese language and I highly doubt an incident such as the Geisha thing will affect that course.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:56 am Reply with quote
Is Miyazaki going to have a hand in this? It didn't mention him
heyyu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:14 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I wonder if this will improve Japanese/Chinese relations...

Well there's always been a strong cultural exchange between Japan and China. Yes, there's some conflicts, but it's no different from the French and British, who have also had a long and turbulent history with each other. And please, for the love of God, let's hope this thread doesn't turn into yet another one of those Chinese/Japanese WWII history debates Rolling Eyes
Meier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Is Miyazaki going to have a hand in this? It didn't mention him

Nope, his films are on a 3-year schedule (aka the next one should be done in 2007ish). This will be a smaller project, a la Neko no Ongaeshi/The Cat Returns, if it ends up being true (the original post on the MML said it was just a rumor at this point).

Last edited by Meier on Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
silentjay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:04 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I wonder if this will improve Japanese/Chinese relations...Also, given the problems with Geisha, I wonder what will be the nationality of the voice actors.

They'll obviously be Japanese for the Japanese version, and Chinese for the Chinese version. That's how things ususally work now, and I don't see it change in the future.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Despite being only 5000 words long, the recently published novel...

I think this is a mistake. Nausicaa.net says the novel is 50,000 words long (which sounds more reasonable... I've never heard of any written work made up of only 5000 words classified as a "novel.")

I'm looking forward to this. I just hope the project doesn't fall through..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to Nanjing Morning Post, Studio Ghibli has decided that its next feature movie project will be an adaptation of chinese children's  novel, "Wo Diu Shile wo de Xiao Nan Hai (I Lost my Little Boy)."

Uh, I hate to tell whoever got the name of the book but part of the book name you gave is spelled wrong. "Wo" and "shile" makes no sense in Chinese because you've miss spelled the pin-ying. I think you're trying to spell "Wuo diu shi le wuo de xiao nan hai".

Anywayz, with this movie it looks like I'll have something to look for when I'm in China this summer. Smile I wonder what the movie will look like...
Kal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quote
mangaka-chan wrote:
Quote:
According to Nanjing Morning Post, Studio Ghibli has decided that its next feature movie project will be an adaptation of chinese children's  novel, "Wo Diu Shile wo de Xiao Nan Hai (I Lost my Little Boy)."

Uh, I hate to tell whoever got the name of the book but part of the book name you gave is spelled wrong. "Wo" and "shile" makes no sense in Chinese because you've miss spelled the pin-ying. I think you're trying to spell "Wuo diu shi le wuo de xiao nan hai".

Anywayz, with this movie it looks like I'll have something to look for when I'm in China this summer. Smile I wonder what the movie will look like...

Well, it's not that they really messed it up. "Wo" is still correct, it all depends on how you romanize it, considering it's pronounced with the 3rd tone. Although from my perspective, I've rarely seen it typed as "wuo" instead. Maybe it's just me ::shrugs:: The "shile" thing isn't that big of deal either, since they probably just forgot to put a space in btw.
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I took Mandarin for 5 years, and never saw "wuo"... I've always known it to be "wo."

Anyway, I'm all for new Ghibli movies. I hope some of the people living in China come post, so they can tell us more about the book! I wonder who will be manning this project.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Twage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:03 am Reply with quote
Huzzah! Takahata returns!
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote
So, does this mean that Miyazaki is not doing "I Lost my Little Boy," but instead working on something else? That's what the press release seems to be saying.
wao

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:27 am Reply with quote
YES! Takahata movie! FINALLY!
linlinchan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
Twage wrote:
Huzzah! Takahata returns!

Totally. You, of all people, know that I could care less about Miyazaki's work at this point in time, but Tonari no Yamada-kun is one of my favorite movies of all time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3