• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Futaba-kun Change

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing this years ago. While I do like Ranma 1/2, I wouldn't mind reading a manga that took the concept further. Looks like a good read. Did Studio Ironcat manage to translate all of it? And where can I find it?
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
There's Wandering Son and Family Compo too.
simside

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I was a ridiculously huge fan of this as it was coming out. Actually, Ranma 1/2 was the first graphic novel I read, and this was probably second or third, which is a little weird in retrospect. I really liked what I read of You & Me, too. It broke my heart that Ironcat closed down after only a little of that came out.

I read it about a dozen times, but I haven't picked it up lately. I ought to see how it holds up with all the other stuff I've read since. I'm sure it's more than a little dated, and weird, but it's a lot of fun, and does cross a lot of interesting lines. When I was 16, it was a lot more... naughty than I was used to, and I remember specifically having my mind blown when someone got an erection at some point. I hated the ending, though. I have to say no to interrupting aliens.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm often intrigued by how others who identify as non-gender conforming may or may not be attracted to manga and anime that explores this theme. One argument may be that people seek entertainment that is outside of their world of the everyday (ie escapist entertainment) so transsexuals wouldn't appreciate gender bending manga especially if most of the content makes a mockery of gender and sexuality issues for the sake of humor and fanservice. After all, the majority of BL manga is targeted at straight females because the world inside BL is unrealistic and escapist compared to the RL world of average young women.

On the other hand, the life for the transsexual is really just like any body else's in that they desire an environment that is not filled with drama or the unexpected and that they hope to be accepted as a normal part of society. Reading a manga like Futaba-kun Change, that explores sexuality in a fun and provoking way may still be a form of escapist entertainment but one in which appeals to those who are very open minded about gender (ie humans aren't strictly bound to their sexual roles because of something as trivial as what's between your legs).

I frequently weigh in on forum threads about gender bending because I am fascinated with the expression of gender in manga and how it reflects human sexuality IRL.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Iron Cat did complete the Futabakun Change! manga, all 8 Volumes. If I remember correctly it was offered in both comic book and graphic novel format. For those who are hung up on a uniform appearance to their book shelves, the last two or three volumes were in a significantly smller trim size.

I remember seeing a quote to the effect that much religion is based on the fear that someone somewhere is having fun. This is why most religions oppose masterbation.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Iron Cat did complete the Futabakun Change! manga, all 8 Volumes. If I remember correctly it was offered in both comic book and graphic novel format. For those who are hung up on a uniform appearance to their book shelves, the last two or three volumes were in a significantly smller trim size.

I remember seeing a quote to the effect that much religion is based on the fear that someone somewhere is having fun. This is why most religions oppose masterbation.

I think you might be thinking of the old H. L. Mencken qoute
Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
H. L. Mencken
ninja noir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:47 am Reply with quote
this manga seems pretty interesting, and it's only 8 volumes too, which is good.

oh, and the mormon masturbation thing was hilarious. Very Happy

Quote:
4. After you bathe, don't admire yourself in the mirror. Stay in the shower just long enough to clean yourself. Then dry off and GET OUT OF THE BATHROOM into a room where you will have some member of your family present.

don't admire yourself in the mirror? is anyone really so vain that looking in the mirror after a shower leads to masturbation?
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
poisondusk wrote:
My favourite trans manga is the little-known shoujo title Ai no Shintairiku, which while pretty light-hearted and fluffy doesn't treat being trans as some sort of grand adventure or comic relief, and does touch on a few of the more serious issues without turning depressing.

Thanks for posting, and THANK YOU for introducing me to Ai no Shintairiku! What an awesome little manga! I can't believe I didn't know about it before, and I can't believe they even get little details right like the "soy has a similar effect on the body to female hormones" thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2