• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Btooom! episodes 1-7

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
well give watching this so take like mad bombers of survivor really more to it.

give evil company with hatty fat guy take random people put them on island have them boom each other to escape the alive yea so why they did sure to give people watch it for ratings, money, etc show dark side of it.

yet mains themselves give sent to island due to reasons cause them with have force to fights others being backstab & temp by their dark side.

give really wonder how far will go really show true side of person & if redeem left in it?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
Apart from the the premise of the show (the less said about the evil corporation the better), BTOOOM! is quite good. Good action and suspense, enjoyable mind games, and some strong characters. Himiko is interesting in how she must learn to trust men again after such a traumatic experience. She is definitely more than the fanservice-bait that she originally came across as. Ryouta is initially an unlikeable NEET but grows into a smart battle-hardened player who puts too much faith in humanity but gains a valuable ally for it. At first I wanted to punch him - I think that was the whole point by show him being a complete prick to his put-upon mother, to make him a huge jerk - but by the end of the show he has become a good person and someone I genuinely want to survive.

So yeah, character development is alive and well in BTOOOM!, transforming two rather unlikeable leads into people we care about and who 'deserve' to survive. I am very impressed with how the series handled them.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
I never even thought about comparing Btooom! to SAO. Though it does take the concept of a game, it is a lot more like a Battle Royale or Hunger Games scenario of survival-of-the-fittest. It is still kind of a tired premise, but not exactly one seen a lot in anime.

Good show and also very pretty to look at. What stuck out for me the most is how distinct this show is visually from most other anime. Any hey, it's pretty entertaining too so I'll be around for the possible second season.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
I initially stayed FAAAAAAAAR away from this title due to SAO, I didn't want anything to do with being stuck in a game that kills unless it was greed island for a while now (and even then that arc hardly feels like a game to me) though I may acctually give it a try now since I haven't heard any ridiculously bad things about it.

Last edited by Thatguy3331 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
Any hey, it's pretty entertaining too so I'll be around for the possible second season.

I hope it does get a second season, there is still so much to be resolved. spoiler[I'd like to see Ryouta take the fight to the evil corporation and rip them a new one.]
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
I managed to make through episode four before giving up. I just didn't find the main and side characters, or their situation, interesting enough... I don't have the patience to sit through 100+ episodes of something that doesn't grab me any more. ^^
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
I managed to make through episode four before giving up. I just didn't find the main and side characters, or their situation, interesting enough... I don't have the patience to sit through 100+ episodes of something that doesn't grab me any more. ^^

Are you sure you're posting in the right thread? BTOOOM! is only one cour long, so I don't see where you're getting the "100+ episodes" from.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
halochief_90 wrote:
Any hey, it's pretty entertaining too so I'll be around for the possible second season.

I hope it does get a second season, there is still so much to be resolved. spoiler[I'd like to see Ryouta take the fight to the evil corporation and rip them a new one.]

I don't know. I'm torn. On the one hand, I'm gonna be pissed if the show ends and they haven't escaped the island and one episode seems like it might not be enough to cover that, especially since they still also need to resolve things with the two different remaining antagonists on the island and possibly spoiler[with Taira as well]. That said though, a whole other season of them being on the island would feel redundant to me and I really don't wanna see them continue the show with them having escaped. I can basically accept the premise of the show so long as I don't have to think about it too much. If they actually start digging into the reasons and details behind the premise it will probably just ruin it though. Better to simply leave those questions unanswered.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:54 am Reply with quote
Once again, Theron has reached into my mind and written the review I would written. I'm definitely in the camp that would love a second season because there is no way that things could be wrapped up to my satisfaction in the single remaining episode of this season.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
That said though, a whole other season of them being on the island would feel redundant to me and I really don't wanna see them continue the show with them having escaped.
I think as long as they keep putting the characters in interesting situations, the show can be entertaining for another season on the island. We still don't know a whole lot about the characters so there's room for development there.

If you found out the characters of Lost would spend 3 full-length seasons without leaving the island you would think the show would have gotten redundant. Interestingly enough, that show only started to falter once it left the island which I think would be the same for Btooom! were it to spend more than one episode off the island.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Ingraman wrote:

Are you sure you're posting in the right thread? BTOOOM! is only one cour long, so I don't see where you're getting the "100+ episodes" from.

I didn't put my words together well enough. I was trying to say that, years ago, I managed to watch just over 100 episodes each of a couple of titles that I never cared for (it's only 20 minutes a week), but I chose not to tolerate BTOOOM! for more than four episodes. Then again, I'm still watching SAO, so I can't have entirely sworn off self-inflicting pain entirely.
phoenix72

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
KLAC wrote:
well give watching this so take like mad bombers of survivor really more to it.

give evil company with hatty fat guy take random people put them on island have them boom each other to escape the alive yea so why they did sure to give people watch it for ratings, money, etc show dark side of it.

yet mains themselves give sent to island due to reasons cause them with have force to fights others being backstab & temp by their dark side.

give really wonder how far will go really show true side of person & if redeem left in it?

you have horrible english i have no idea what you said.
kanechin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Orihime a.k.a useless+ Btooom! + more fanservice = Himiko
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Btoom is a God awful show. The premise of the game is down right laughable and would never fly. This game came out two decades ago it was called silent bomber, there are also a slew of other similar games using bombs in the ps1 era. They dont make them anymore because no one would play them, this game included. So the premise of the show off the bat is not good. Then the main characters make Shinji look like the most likeable character ever, and notion a kid can be sent to potentially his doom because of a distraught mother thinking he was mean, or girls spiting another girl for not being raped is down asinine. The show has no redeeming features, and this is coming from somebody who watches everything ranging from shonen to shoujo to senien to josei, everything. And I dropped this show after only a few episodes.
otakumachinegun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
For a show I started watching with the pure intention of not liking it,I am so far finding Btooom! rather entertaining.
God knows, the whole "Most Dangerous Game" storyline has been well worn,but the anime keeps the tension tight enough to keep it interesting.
CrownKlown wrote:
Then the main characters make Shinji look like the most likeable character ever, and notion a kid can be sent to potentially his doom because of a distraught mother thinking he was mean, or girls spiting another girl for not being raped is down asinine.

Hmm...as far as the whole part of the show when the whole rape issue comes up,I think that the point was over the backlash of how the situation was handled by the character in question,not that because she didn't get raped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2