• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Paranoia Agent

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:11 am Reply with quote
Who else was floored by this anime?...Shocked

I was just amazed....i have always been an admirer of Kon's work....He he's always been one of my favorate writers and direcors....
It really went past my expectations.....

In a interview its made up of left over ideas from his others films......its funny cause you can see hints of his films in it....

I just want to know what others thought...... Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Diedrupo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
yeah it's absolutely brilliant! although I couldn't understand the last episode, heh...
msi435

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:28 am Reply with quote
Kon always surprises us. I have seen all of his work from Perfect Blue to Paranioa Agent and he never fails to impress. He is truley one of the greatest up and coming anime directors out there. I would imagine in years his name might be up there with miyazaki![/spoiler]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I kind of hope that Kon does more TV series, because Paranioa Agent is nothing short of brilliant! (FYI: Agent is Kon's first TV series.) He truly is one of anime's geniuses, right up there with Miyazaki and Anno. Very Happy
Rion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
He really is....not only is the story brillant....but technically its almost perfict too.....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Another thing that I should mentioned about Agent: Anime Insider named it their choice for best dub in 2004.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I like Satoshi Kon, since he thinks outside the established parameters of anime. Just like Miyazaki, he tries new and methods and unconventional story telling techniques which stands out in a medium saturated with so many generic stereotypes. I've met a few people who didn't like Kon's stuff since it doesn't "feel" like most other anime, but he's perfect for a jaded old timer like myself. Paranoia Agent is as well planned and partitioned out as Boogiepop IMO.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Here's a question for those who have finished the series: what is the significance, if any, of the very last scene in episode 8 (the episode where spoiler[the trio is trying to commit suicide])? I got the significance of the scenes right before that, but that last shot didn't make sense to me even on repeat viewings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Another thing that I should mentioned about Agent: Anime Insider named it their choice for best dub in 2004.

I actually spoke to Jonathan Klein and Carrie Savage at a convention a week or two ago...
Real nice people by the way....

But when i asked Jonathan about Paranoia Agent.....
He was like "I don't even know where to begin on that one" lol.......He knew what he was doing for sure though....
akitainu

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm replying to an old post, but I have my theory on the meaning of that last scene (as I just saw it last night). As the whole episode deals with suicide (Japan having one of the highest rates in the industrialized world) the scene of the condom, Family Planning, machine is a paradox with the declining birth rate in Japan (I did a Google search and found this:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4065647.stm)
I may be way off base, but that episode left me scratching my head. This is the best answer I could come up with.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
EDIT dodn't realize this was so old

Last edited by v1cious on Thu May 05, 2005 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
It's Debateable

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
yes. Brilliant series.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:

who is this guy? his voice weirds me out.
msi435

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:

I couldn't help but laugh at the guy's voice, he reminded me of quinten terintino. I love NPR and to have them support anime gives me hope that it will spread into a less geeky society. Thanks Arron.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2