• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Paranoia Agent

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akitainu

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I must agree. That voice is creepier than any of the show's central themes. One strange point in his review, he ho-hums the dub, yet still refers to Shonen Bat as Lil' Slugger. Myself, I prefer subtitled anime, but realize there are epic battles to the contrary.
So why would he, in his infinite reviewer's wisdom, still drop the name of Lil' Slugger? If you waive away one version, you can't hold onto the familiar for the other.
Nani?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Here's a question for those who have finished the series: what is the significance, if any, of the very last scene in episode 8 (the episode where spoiler[the trio is trying to commit suicide])? I got the significance of the scenes right before that, but that last shot didn't make sense to me even on repeat viewings.

Yes, I know it's an old post. The significance is thatspoiler[the people taking the picture totally ignore thier pressence, even though they are complete strangers who crowd in closely. The implication is that they've suceeded. They just don't realise it. I suspect that's why Shonen Bat runs when he encounters them.]

And yes, the voice of the NPR guy was weird, but he did a good job of describeing the series. I do think the use of the english dub and Lil'Slugger was just to cater to mainstream (though the liberal shade thereof) America.
From that standpoint, it was a good editorial desicion not to scare off "Anime Virgins" from something new or have them dismiss it reflexively.

All the Best,

Nani?
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I had totally forgotten about my question on this. . .

Nani? wrote:
Yes, I know it's an old post. The significance is thatspoiler[the people taking the picture totally ignore thier pressence, even though they are complete strangers who crowd in closely. The implication is that they've suceeded. They just don't realise it. I suspect that's why Shonen Bat runs when he encounters them.]

No, that part I got. I was referring to the scene after that, where spoiler[the camera zooms in on the condom machine]. akitainu's theory is a decent one, but I am curious about whether anyone has other thoughts on the matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiphop Samurai

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Paranoia Agent is the BEST!!!
So are the other works of Kon.
Its cool because you get to see a bit of all his earlier works in this series.
Kon needs to make MORE ANIME series and movies like Paranoia Agent.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Wow, I had totally forgotten about my question on this. . .

Nani? wrote:

No, that part I got. I was referring to the scene after that, where spoiler[the camera zooms in on the condom machine]. akitainu's theory is a decent one, but I am curious about whether anyone has other thoughts on the matter.

his take on it is pretty spot-on... if I had to say anything, it would probably be more simple:

spoiler[ "Why give birth when people will just kill themselves"

the condom means... er... you should use it more! as to not waste life *or something*

]

my take on the episode "Family Planning":

spoiler[ I suspect they all died in that building after the scene where they were eating up pills and stuff

they lost their shadows after that incident... notice how the light in that small apartment room casted their shadows on to the walls...

anyway, this was a very interesting ghost tale ]

I need the 4th disk immediately, although I can somewhat guess the ending already... and that it has something to do with the fact that: *this is a guess... I just need to mention it just in case I'm correct... so I can gloat*

spoiler[ Maromi's character design wasn't done by TSUKIKO, she STOLE the design, this is why she can't come up with a follow up... there's a bunch of other evidence too that proves this, but I'll leave it at that

]

okay, please don't tell me if I'm correct or not... I'll find out in a couple of days anyway...
Ovalshine

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:26 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I didn't see a theory at all. That part was there just to show the title of the episode (at least according to the DVD's english text). I've only seen up to episode 10 (last 3 hopefully in two days) and only episodes 8 and 9 had the title shown at that point.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
well, yeah, but the title of the episode somewhat reflected the episode itself... *huh?*

I like how they insert the episode names in random parts of the show, that was a lot of fun
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
One thing that seperates Paranoia Agent from the other Kon series (IMO) is spoiler[the supernatural events really do occur in the physical world and are not in the minds of the main characters] Although it has been some time since I've seen Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress, I think this was the case. There were many things that made me feel as though Kon was repeating himself, but that major difference did surprise me.
Ovalshine

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
One thing that seperates Paranoia Agent from the other Kon series (IMO) is spoiler[the supernatural events really do occur in the physical world and are not in the minds of the main characters] Although it has been some time since I've seen Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress, I think this was the case. There were many things that made me feel as though Kon was repeating himself, but that major difference did surprise me.

Well....

spoiler[I think Kon was having us see scenes unfold through the eyes of dillusion, that the supernatural events weren't real, nor exactly in the minds of the main characters, but more or less symbolisms of paranoia dillusions and the battles against them. Kon directed the dillusions well enough to make us wonder what was real and what was dillusion and if dillusions, what were they representing in reality.]

Then again, for all I know, you could be right.
animaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:51 am Reply with quote
To be expected from the man who brought us tokyo godfathers, millenium actress and others. A fantastic anime
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2