• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Edits

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
[delete: repeated post]

Last edited by Kal on Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by Kal on Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by Kal on Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Since it's a title I do care about, you can see why I'm pissed. Mad
Ten Ten was something I was also looking forward to, but this one even more so... so after Ten Ten got released that way, this just added insult to injury, so I'm pretty angry about it.

As far as the stars added, check this link. http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/socpol/images/Is_page_65.jpg If this wound up being the only censorship in the artwork to be done in the I''s manga, I could live with it - it would still bother me, but then I'd still be willing to buy it. Since that doesn't appear to be the case - Viz can piss off.

LOL, I got a good laugh when I saw the image. It looks gimmicky like those Girl Gone Wild commerial. Not in a bad way either, but in a comical way (joke) since that happen to be a girl in a magazine. Just like when you go to vegas and they hand you stripper catalog with "stars" edit. I don't know, seem kinda funny to me, it it suppose to be arousing?.

Freedom of speech is overrated sometimes. I mean how much control does the mangaka really have over his or her work. As long as they're working for someone else, they're not in full control. Sometimes people do not meet eye to eye. I know comic book artist and musician have trouble with thier creavity when thier label want them to do things a certain ways.

Seriously if you're gonna throw away a good book over a tiny innocent edit (and that's very tiny), than so be it. It might have been better if the manga wasn't license at all. If it's a big edit that change the story of the book (damn you cmx), than that I really care about it.

I somehow have a feeling that the mangaka can give a shit about american viewer wanting to see nipples. I say most of them are happy they're getting a wade of cash and thier work publish in other country. Do you the mangaka prefer you to download scan instead of buying his work even if it's edit? I see a lot of people saying I'll continue to download scan, that's how the mangaka would want me to see her art and i'm a true fan. Yeah some true fan, people just keep forgetting that manga and anime is a business. Manga being adaptive to anime get edit all the time. I dont' see many people saying stop the anime industry because all thier manga-adaptive work are edit.

Last edited by darkhunter on Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
Stueypark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:15 pm Reply with quote
At least there's some logical conclusions that can be drawn in American edits, when you look at edits in other countries like, for instance, Japan. Remember, they were the ones who censored and completely deleted some manga about the Rape of Nanjing because according to them, it never happened.

Of course, we also have France & Germany, have you ever wondered why WWII video games take several months longer to come out over there compared to the rest of the world? It's because the companies have to redraw a lot of the graphics and art to remove Nazi symbols (swastika, death's head, etc), which is illegal to display in those countries.

At least US publishers can print whatever they like without facing prison terms... that's not true everywhere else.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Advent:
Quote:
They murged with kid frendly Sho Pro.

They've always dumbed down their material. But they've only recently been successful at it.

Inagawa:
Quote:
The author of I's made alterations to his own product -of his own free will-, and people cry censorship! Viz never told him to make the changes, and knowing the company, they would have published it without the stars,

Why do you think so? I mean it took Dark Horse 15 years to release an uncut Ghost in the Shell.

Quote:
It's not censorship if it's not forced on you.

And yet you can make a decision after being coerced.

Quote:
Newsflash: We are NOT in Japan! Therefore expecting the American publishing market to immediately adhere to the Japanese publishing market is wrong and actually an act of censorship.

Huh? Wow, you must have been around a lot of bloggers to come up with an absurd argument like that.

Quote:
Censorship IS denying a person the right to make edits or decisions about the distibution of their work.

What if it's not a right, but an imposed obligation?

darkhunter:
Quote:
So there might be 1000 hardcore fans online, the popular manga can sell upward to 20,000 copies.

That seemed to be the case with Detective Conan, but I"s is for an older audience which would be more likely to purchase the series than those who picked up Case Closed.

Quote:

Shrink wrapping manga is a good idea from a fan stand point but from a business stand point, shrink wrapping = new customer can't preview the book, thus they are not likely to buy it when they can flip through another manga.

Negima seems to contradict your argument.

Last edited by GATSU on Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I'm jumping into this debate rather late, but I've been following along relatively closely and would like to needlessly voice my opinion. Personally, I feel that the ostensible censorship has been a bit exaggerated, but I don't completely approve. This is directed mostly toward Yami no Matsuei, which seems to be getting less attention in this thread, but whose censorship I feel to be worse. Reading the edited scene of I"s in context, I really don't find the stars to be that big of a deal. Certainly, it looks very silly, but since it's just a photo, it wouldn't be as bad as if the nipples in question were being covered during, say, a sex scene. The original scene wasn't sexual in content; it appears to me to be humorous, gratuitous nudity. Not that I'm opposed to gratuitous nudity, but editing it out really is not a grave violation of freedom of expression or anything.

On the other hand, Viz edited a scene in YnM because of what it inferred. Considering that homosexual subtext is pretty prevalent in YnM, I think the editing was pretty unnecessary. Granted, it doesn't hurt the story much and is a pretty minor detail, but I don't Viz's reasoning behind the decision. Perhaps I am more bothered by the editing in Yami simply because I'm a fan of the series, whereas I have not read I"s, so any biases should be taken into account. That is all - continue "debating" as you please.

(edited for some typographical errors)

Last edited by IvoryBirch on Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
Since it's a title I do care about, you can see why I'm pissed. Mad
Ten Ten was something I was also looking forward to, but this one even more so... so after Ten Ten got released that way, this just added insult to injury, so I'm pretty angry about it.

As far as the stars added, check this link. http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/socpol/images/Is_page_65.jpg If this wound up being the only censorship in the artwork to be done in the I''s manga, I could live with it - it would still bother me, but then I'd still be willing to buy it. Since that doesn't appear to be the case - Viz can piss off.

LOL, I got a good laugh when I saw the image. It looks gimmicky like those Girl Gone Wild commerial. Not in a bad way either, but in a comical way (joke) since that happen to be a girl in a magazine. Just like when you go to vegas and they hand you stripper catalog with "stars" edit. I don't know, seem kinda funny to me, it it suppose to be arousing?.

Actually... in context of the first volume, it is supposed to be arousing - because of what Ichitaka is going through. It makes sense in volume 3 because the joke makes sense - but I'm afraid that the joke will also lose its effect now since the censoring has been put in place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:

Shrink wrapping manga is a good idea from a fan stand point but from a business stand point, shrink wrapping = new customer can't preview the book, thus they are not likely to buy it when they can flip through another manga.

Negima seems to contradict your argument.

LOL, shrink manga do sell well. Berserk is selling really well, due to the anime being overlypopular. Negima, from the maker of Love hina, another overly popular anime/manga series, so it's no supring that Negima can sale. Crazy buzz. Samurai Execution, another title that's selling well because of Lone Wolf and Cub. If they want to sell bad company, they just need to slap a "from the maker of GTO" right across the title.
I was refering more to the unknown titles like IWGP, in which I would probably wouldn't if I was just looking for something new to buy at a borders. And that's just an exaggerated comment, but definitely someting to keep in mind.

Just a few years ago, everyone was grateful that companies are bringing manga over to the U.S.... Now everyone is acting like snob refusing to buy anthing with the slighest edit (i.e. Zoro to Zolo).

Last edited by darkhunter on Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Nipples are the downfall of human civilization. Looka t the whole Janet Jackson terror attack! How dare she show that in public! Think of the children who surely never are supposed to see a nipple. It's unnatural. Nipples always lead to destruiction. Look at who got man kicked out of Edan, a woman exposing her nipples. Terrible to see it's still happening, the nipple ruining man's civilization. America cannot stand for nipples. We need to find them and ban them, maybe even create a bonfire to get rid of them.

-Xenos pretending to be Jerry Falwell
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Armagguedes wrote:
lyger wrote:
is everything in america censored

it seems that way too me

viz are idots

Probably the only think that is not is their dumb president, to the great misfortune of western world economy. Very Happy

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you our European Betters (TM)
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Nipples are the downfall of human civilization. Looka t the whole Janet Jackson terror attack! How dare she show that in public! Think of the children who surely never are supposed to see a nipple. It's unnatural. Nipples always lead to destruiction. Look at who got man kicked out of Edan, a woman exposing her nipples. Terrible to see it's still happening, the nipple ruining man's civilization. America cannot stand for nipples. We need to find them and ban them, maybe even create a bonfire to get rid of them.

-Xenos pretending to be Jerry Falwell

That's why I come to these threads, the most rational thought out discourses on publishing ethics and business models on the Net.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Just a few years ago, everyone was grateful that companies are bringing manga over to the U.S.... Now everyone is acting like snob refusing to buy anthing with the slighest edit (i.e. Zoro to Zolo).

I don't know, I'd still buy One Piece if I didn't get it in Shonen Jump every month, even with the name change. What bothered me is that they changed it to Zolo after over two years of seeing the word Zoro in print. It messed with my head, but it they have to do it to avoid copyright infringement on Zorro, go ahead; I'd rather have One Piece with Zolo than have the manga tied up in court battles for a year or two.
Treeloot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Roronoa Zoro wrote:
Well, I use to buy almost all of Viz's titles, but once they started editing my favorite title, One Piece, to go along with the butchered 4kids version, I stopped purchasing their products, took back all volumes I had to Borders, got a load of cash on return gift cards, and now I've bought all (current) 36 One Piece volumes from Japan. I translate them myself, and have no desire to partake in the purchase of anything Viz ever again, because, as you may notice, when VIZ bring a title to America (other than suffering edits and poor westernizations)
VIZ cut out half an inch of every graphic novel they make. It's true!! I compared my Japanese One Piece with my VIZ version, and around half an inch is missing on the bottom of every page.
This is pointless. Stupid Viz, grow up.
Why do they call I'S "Shonen Jump Advanced" and "16+" when it is still edited. And HunterxHunter will be edited for violence in the future, I guarantee it.

Hopefully by taking back my VIZ novels to Borders, I'll hurt VIZ financially. I've got a few more I need to take back. Ha ha....

One more thing, whether or not an author approves of a change made to an English version or not does not deny the fact that that is not what the author originally intended.
Learn that Viz. Fans want what the author drew/wrote.
Why you've butchered One Piece, I don't know.
I'll just continue to buy the tankobans, they're better quality anyway.

Let me get this straight, you took back ALL YOUR VIZ MANGA VOLUMES TO BORDERS OVER 1 [expletive] LETTER CHANGE? You idiot, you didn't hurt Viz at all, you only hurt Borders. They have to spend time putting all that stuff back, and possibly can't sell some of it anymore. I'm not even sure I believe what you said, because I've never heard of Borders giving you cash for your gift cards, OR taking back a ton of shit, that you probably didn't have reciepts for. You're just being a stubborn, idiotic fucker, trying to hurt Viz, who's hurting his/her local bookstore.

Hey guess what Eiichiro Oda says about name changes. He doesn't give a fudge and is thrilled people in other countries are reading One Piece. Since you have all the Japanese volumes, I'm pretty sure you've read the SBS corner where he has a segment devoted to what they call the One Piece gang in other countries. He didn't care about 1 letter changes, he didn't care when the whole name was changed. He was just happy people were reading his manga.

If I owned the English One Piece manga (I do own the Japanese and see no reason to have both English and Japanese) I'd check right away about this half inch crap you're talking about.
Izlude

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
This is getting silly and out of hand... honestly I can live with these tiny edits from Viz, ADV, etc...but CMX with Tenten is OVERKILL.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10