• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Dailymotion brings Crunchyroll's Top Asian Content to its Global Audience

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:18 am Reply with quote
So, does that mean that stuff which weren't originally available through CR on Europe will now be available through Dailymotion?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
Intuitively, that would only be the case if the Dailymotion acquired a streaming licence/sub-licence to such shows — or something tantamount thereto — for the regions in question.
From whom these sub-licenses would need to be acquired is something I am unsure of, in virtue of the numerous entities — i.e. Crunchyroll or R2 DVD licensees/sub-licensees — who may already possess the unused European streaming rights for the shows in question.
(If no company owns any such European rights, of course, Dailymotion would have to liaise with Japanese entities in lieu of buying a sub-license from R1 or Europe. Whether this is at all the case is something I do not know.)

I do not wish to presume the worst, but it seems plausible that the cheapest option for Dailymotion would be to avoid any such purchases altogether, and to offer only the titles CR already stream within Europe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
So it's all about publicity after all. Not bad, though. To profit while promoting anime.
I just wonder what's the profit margin compared to streaming on their own site. Perhaps if it does hit a mainstream audience like they intend to, it could be quite profitable indeed.
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
probably more than just publicity, seeing as this would somehow be more beneficial for both possible more anime in Europe because when I wanted to see what would be available the first thing I saw was The World God only knows ep 6. It will be interesting to see how both benefit in the future from this deal.
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
probably more than just publicity, seeing as this would somehow be more beneficial for both possible more anime in Europe because when I wanted to see what would be available the first thing I saw was The World God only knows ep 6. It will be interesting to see how both benefit in the future from this deal.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
crunchycat wrote:

How many countries Crunchyroll can get for a series depends in part on how big of an audience is expected as a result of granting the international rights. If DailyMotion attracts more ad-supported views than Crunchyroll can alone, via the rights that Crunchyroll has acquired, that's more incentive to grant Europe-wide rights to Crunchyroll.

And that's a virtuous circle, since the more Europe-wide rights that CR gets, the more European subscribers CR can attract, which means the more European views that are generated, so the easier to get rights.

The terms would seem most likely to be a percentage of the ad revenue to Crunchyroll, with a majority passed on as royalties.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1