• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My anime in the my ANN section

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
This is in the my Anime section:

Quote:
My Anime is a great way to keep track of the anime you have seen or want to see. Forget that cumbersome spreadsheet and check out the possibilities.

I must disagree. My spreadsheet takes 1/50 the amount of time to maintain and i can sort it and categorize it any way i want. The forum mechanism is a royal PITA Mad (but only slightly)
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
May I trouble you to be as specific as possible? A beta is being tested out right now; if you state what irritates you, then I -- and other subscribers -- can find out if the same is true in the beta version.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Sure - but tomorrow. It's nearly midnite here and i have to get up early. I'm gong to email my DVD list to my .mil email and will try to enter it tomorrow. I think I'll clear out the entire table(s) that i built and just enter what i own, as seen some or seen all, then I'll try to copy everything to my collection. That's the problem, getting it copied over and adding to a list once it's started (especially want to see).

Damn those alpha lists are huge! I didn't know that much existed.

update: I've been quite busy today, so haven't gotten a chance to do more than print out my list. I'll see what free time i have tonight on clearing the lists and starting over. Of course i have a conf call at 1800 - who knows how long THAT will run.....
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this has something to do with it.

There is a My Anime and a My Anime Goods section. Is the latter for manga, e.g. books?

If not then what is My Anime Goods???

If it is, then why not call it My Manga?

Since over 90% of what i have is actual DVDs, I cleared the My anime goods section and will try to get the my anime lists populated.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
"My Collection" is for listing discs and related items like CDs and artbooks. There is an equivalent page for My Manga.

My pages (which need updating):
animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/collection.php?user=Shiroi+Hane
animenewsnetwork.com/MyManga/collection.php?user=Shiroi+Hane
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Maybe i didn't make this clear:

There is a "My collection" in both My Anime and My Anime GOODS.

What's the difference???

Further, whatever I enter in the my manga headers shows up in the my anime and vice versa. I think it's time to clear Everything out of all the lists.

As i originally stated; 50 times more of a pain in the ass than my spreadsheet.

I think i set everything back to the defaults. I left the seen some anime an seen all anime lists intact - I already entered about 40% and don't want to do that again. everything else is blank until i figure this out.

I still don't know what the my anime goods section is for as opposed to the my anime section.

Last edited by guildmaster on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
Maybe i didn't make this clear:

There is a "My collection" in both My Anime and My Anime GOODS.

What's the difference???

My Anime and My Manga are lists of TITLES i.e. each title has only one entry.

Anime Goods and Manga Goods are lists of MERCHANDISES i.e. products you can buy, labeled with UPC, EAN, or ISBN.

Example: Naruto appears only once in your My Anime list, but each of its merchandise e.g. "dubbed DVD 1," "uncut boxset 2 special edition," "season 3 boxset 1," etc. would have an entry of its own, linked to review(s) if there is any.

guildmaster wrote:
As i originally stated; 50 times more of a pain in the ass than my spreadsheet.

Feel free to continue using your spreadsheet. Users are encouraged, but not required, to use the My Anime list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
So to do this "correctly" i would enter it all in both "my collection" lists, one for the title and 1 (or more) for the physical disc (disc set), book volume, etc.

I stand corrected, it's at least 100 times the PITA Razz , but I'll try to do it, over time. Don't anyone hold their breath. Wink
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
guildmaster wrote:
So to do this "correctly" i would enter it all in both "my collection" lists, one for the title and 1 (or more) for the physical disc (disc set), book volume, etc.

Watching & Owning are two entirely different things.

You might watch Naruto episodes 1-13 online, that doesn't mean you own Naruto collection #1.

So we allow people to track both what they watch, and what they own. Some people are only interested in tracking one or the other...

For example I only track what I've watched, not what I own.

-t
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Tempest,

I don't know exactly how i did it, because i cleared every category and reset them all to the default, but I had a "My Collection: under BOTH "My Anime" and "My Anime Goods" before.

I'm guessing it did not belong under "My Anime" because it's not there now and when i added 1 set to My Collection it went under "anime goods"; there is no "my collection" under "My anime" at all.

Strange behaviour indeed. What i see now seems logical.Maybe if i don't mess with the categories, I won't get that situation again. If I do I'll grab the screen text.

Update: Well, the Manga part is done. Only 2 titles comprising 8 books, so there was nothing to it. My collection only shows up under the goods section. I'll attack the anime part later.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
If "My Collection" was showing up as one of the regular anime categories, it's because you checked the box "applies to: Anime titles" when customizing the "My Collection" category. In other words the "applies to" checkboxes control where the category appears:
Anime titles --> My Anime
Manga titles --> My Manga
Anime releases --> Anime Goods
Manga releases --> Manga Goods

You seem worried about doing this "correctly" but there's no right or wrong when it comes to My Anime. You just create the lists you want, and put in them whatever anime/manga you want, and write down whatever comments you want, and make them public if you want.

And by all means, avoid doing anything you think is a PITA... if you want Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
guildmaster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
That's exactly what i did Dan. Thanks.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1