• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fist Bumps

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
MML3:
Quote:
Details are available in CAPCOM's devroom for the game, so read the instructions carefully before sending off your obscene, unusable entries.

I'm sure you couldn't draw to save your life Todd Anime hyper

Ken's Rage:
Quote:
That'll likely provoke complaints from those who still insist that Fist of the North Star has a complex and rewarding plot.

Are you serious? There are people out there who think that?

Mario vs DK: I watched the trailers for this. It looks pretty innovative. The classic rivalry of man vs. animal continues!

Dragon Blade Chronicles: The dragon on the box art does have me curious. Of course in a Naruto game, that could quickly spell trouble for the poor dragon. More overpowered Mary Sue attacks from the ninja brats.

Sonic Colors: I'll believe it when I see it. I still say Sonic should get the axe.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Ken's Rage:
Quote:
That'll likely provoke complaints from those who still insist that Fist of the North Star has a complex and rewarding plot.

Are you serious? There are people out there who think that?

Have you seen the entitre thing, or at least watched more than the 36 episodes that Manga released years ago or Discotek has released so far? I'm going to guess "No."

The fillers that ended up stretching out Shin's time as a villian, not to mention the way the anime altered two other arcs that actually took place AFTER the fight with Shin in the manga instead of before, are in no way indicative of how deep the story in FotNS actually gets. Characters, especially villians, are more than just generic "I want to take over the world!" tropes (hell, most of them don't even want the world), and it's in the little details that really add up to Fist's depth (like how spoiler[Souther/Thouzer is actually a pedophile of sorts and forces young children to build a giant pyramid mainly to show how powerful and "great" he is]; apparently, when playing Ken's Rage, this part of his character is completely ignored, even though it's a major part of his character and makes it really hard to even sympathize with him in the slightest when you find out more about his past).

Thankfully, Discotek will be releasing the rest of the anime, so maybe that will shut some people up who only base FotNS off of those early episodes. I won't say whether or not the whole story is "rewarding", as that's mainly up to opinion, but I think many people will be surprised at how deep the story of FotNS can actually get. It is way more than just manly men hitting each other and making other people explode.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
THAT'S what the new Mario game reminded me of. LEMMINGS. I was watching an ad for it at GameStop today and was like "That looks fun..." and knew there was a nostalgic reason why. Oh man. I kind of really want it now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Don't really see the need to defend Fist when you got geek shows like Panty & Stocking. Rolling Eyes
ParagonDoD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Funny how the review mentions God of War. I had just been thinking "why are all the 3D action games just God of War ripoffs now? Dynasty Warriors was so much better!"
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
ParagonDoD wrote:
Funny how the review mentions God of War. I had just been thinking "why are all the 3D action games just God of War ripoffs now? Dynasty Warriors was so much better!"

Maybe because they'd rather follow a franchise that is a lot of fun as opposed to one where enemies just sit there and let you hit them and ends up being dull after 10 minutes?
Anonymooo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah, because we really need to break up the tedium of slicing people in half with another box-pushing puzzle! Or how about another puzzle where you have to turn a set of cranks to get a few platforms in place, and it's usually solved in about five minutes that could've been spent on setpiece action?

Man alive do I hate God of War.

For all their faults, the Dynasty Warriors games and their ilk are honest about what they are.

Good action games don't sell well nowadays, it's just a fact of life. Contra 4, Bayonetta, and Vanquish have all proven this sad fact.

Modern gamers don't want to be the ant that slays the giant, because that requires work. They want to crush a thousand ants and call themselves badasses.

The Dynasty Warriors games give you that option--stand your ground against Lu Bu at the Hu Lao Gate! Charge onto the burning ships at Red Cliff! And I'm sure that you'll get plenty of options like that in the new Hokuto no Ken game, too, even if Kenshiro's animation looks a little stiff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Fireline

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:50 am Reply with quote
Please familiarize yourself with a topic before writing about it. Your obvious lack of knowledge regarding any of the plot of Hokuto no Ken is embarrassing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Fist's depth (like how spoiler[Souther/Thouzer is actually a pedophile of sorts and forces young children to build a giant pyramid mainly to show how powerful and "great" he is]

I think it is more like jealousy towards their happiness. His past suggests that. Either way, that aspect was one of the many that left me laughing, crying and feeling amazed at the same time. That is one of the reasons why HnK is easily the best battle shounen to date. No cardboard Naruto or Luffy there. A perfect mix of awesome and ridiculous.

As for DW bias, it still lives strong on the internet so it's best to take these reviews with a grain of salt. I have grown bored of this snarky style that many reviewers use. It makes it sound incredibly geared towards attention seeking.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Fist's depth (like how spoiler[Souther/Thouzer is actually a pedophile of sorts and forces young children to build a giant pyramid mainly to show how powerful and "great" he is]

I think it is more like jealousy towards their happiness. His past suggests that. Either way, that aspect was one of the many that left me laughing, crying and feeling amazed at the same time. That is one of the reasons why HnK is easily the best battle shounen to date. No cardboard Naruto or Luffy there. A perfect mix of awesome and ridiculous.

As for DW bias, it still lives strong on the internet so it's best to take these reviews with a grain of salt. I have grown bored of this snarky style that many reviewers use. It makes it sound incredibly geared towards attention seeking.

I'm really sorry, but pedophelia and a god-complex=depth?
Seriously?
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

Seriously?

Depends, the characters are really more than I expected and so far the best that I've seen in battle shounen. It certainly isn't like Haibane Renmei or LoGH or whatever, but still the peak in its own genre. If you've some idea what is better, then you could say it.

As for the game, I'm certain that it won't come across as well as anime/manga, but should still prove good for North Star fans.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Anonymooo wrote:
Yeah, because we really need to break up the tedium of slicing people in half with another box-pushing puzzle! Or how about another puzzle where you have to turn a set of cranks to get a few platforms in place, and it's usually solved in about five minutes that could've been spent on setpiece action?

Man alive do I hate God of War.

I can't decide what's more stupid here. The ignorant generalising of your opening paragraph or the ironic over-simplification of a picture that uses the main character from Ninja Gaiden of all games as a counterpoint to button bashing gameplay.

God of War is the most popular game of it's kind for a reason, it's earned that, and if you don't like games that refuse to simply be the same single thing over and over that's your look out, but don't be so insulting toward games that at least attempt something resembling variety every now and then.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Seriously?

You do know that the word "depth" doesn't necesarrily mean that it has to as deep as the ocean, right? A lot of people seem to automatically assume that you can only have depth when it's so intricate and "deep" that it makes you think for long periods of time afterwards. No, depth just means that there is more to a character or storyline than at first look and that over time you end up seeing that.

Yeah, Naraku from InuYasha and Aizen from Bleach are so much deeper villians than the likes of Thouzer...

All I was showing was that the characters in FotNS do go further than just being "evil asses who are evil". Hell, Shin looks like a simplistic villian in those first 36 episodes in the anime, but would you believe that he actually gets some good character development much further in the story, resulting in him actually becoming one of my favorite characters in the story? No, not from those early episodes, but lo and behold the story actually goes to that extent.

But it's obvious that you'll probably never want to watch FotNS, so I won't even bother any further than what I just said.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Seriously?

You do know that the word "depth" doesn't necesarrily mean that it has to as deep as the ocean, right? A lot of people seem to automatically assume that you can only have depth when it's so intricate and "deep" that it makes you think for long periods of time afterwards. No, depth just means that there is more to a character or storyline than at first look and that over time you end up seeing that.

That's arguably true. It's just that in this day of age, it tends to raise eye-brows when people cite "extreme" character-elements as a symbol of any kind of depth

Quote:
Yeah, Naraku from InuYasha and Aizen from Bleach are so much deeper villians than the likes of Thouzer...

What do they have to do with this? Nobody here is arguing how "deep" other shonen villains are, yet you keep bringing them up.

Quote:
All I was showing was that the characters in FotNS do go further than just being "evil asses who are evil". Hell, Shin looks like a simplistic villian in those first 36 episodes in the anime, but would you believe that he actually gets some good character development much further in the story, resulting in him actually becoming one of my favorite characters in the story? No, not from those early episodes, but lo and behold the story actually goes to that extent.

All I can say is that that's the opinion you hold, and I won't argue with it. I would like to point out though that some people wouldn't really consider the idea of it taking 36 episodes for a character to get developed to be an example of good writing.
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Quote:

What do they have to do with this? Nobody here is arguing how "deep" other shonen villains are, yet you keep bringing them up.

Actually, that has everything to do with this. HnK is a battle shounen like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Kenichi, Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood), DBZ etc. It is only rational to compare it with the rest of the bunch. And everyone who has watched it knows, that at the very least, it stands out amongst the others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4