• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga Volume 60 Sells 2 Million+ in 4 Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
Can someone tell me what's with One Piece breaking all the records.

I mean, the set a new record one month and then break it the next.

The past couple of volumes contain the arcs with fairly epic storylines that reshaped One Piece's established foundations with things like character encounters, developments, reunions, and deaths as well as answering a few questions but also introducing a much greater over-arcing story that goes beyond the series original premise of finding "One Piece" and the random encounters with rival pirate crews. Basically it tied alot of stuff together even though it still hasn't extensively answered many of the series' questions. But despited all of the added drama, it still manages to keep it's light-hearted/goofy touch and doesn't get bogged down.

Too bad Oda couldn't pull all that off a few hundred chapters ago, or I might've actually still been interested
Genet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
sender wrote:
Well... apart of some goofy villains at the start.... the main culprit of one piece going so-so in US (and other parts of america)has only one name.... 4Kids.... damn editing bastards....the damage was already done when funimation take care of it....

Except the manga's been available even before the anime was licensed here, and it never did as well as Naturo and Bleach, can't blame 4kids for that lol

Just different tastes, apparently. But really, I think OP is the best of the big three by far.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Genet wrote:
sender wrote:
Well... apart of some goofy villains at the start.... the main culprit of one piece going so-so in US (and other parts of america)has only one name.... 4Kids.... damn editing bastards....the damage was already done when funimation take care of it....

Except the manga's been available even before the anime was licensed here, and it never did as well as Naturo and Bleach, can't blame 4kids for that lol

Just different tastes, apparently. But really, I think OP is the best of the big three by far.

Viz at that time was only marginally better than 4Kids. Corny dialogue, unnecessary name changes (at 4Kids' behest), some panel editing, and an astonishingly slow release schedule. Plus they were just as content as 4Kids was to try and paint One Piece as a "younger" series rather than as the "broader" series it actually is, at least in terms of its target audience. It never received the same sort of attention that Viz gives some of the other major shounens, especially Naruto, until this past year when they had to release something like 35 volumes in bulk to try and catch up and push the series' popularity.

Which STILL leaves them 5 full volumes behind Japan.
bunnyhopper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is really picking up speed in the last 50 chapters or so. It's sad that it hasn't gained mainstream popularity in the West like Naruto.

I think it's only a matter of time though...Here's to hoping, so that One Piece fans over here can get more of the goods
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

Too bad Oda couldn't pull all that off a few hundred chapters ago, or I might've actually still been interested

For me the problem is that while Oda has created this amazing world of depth, with great characters he has chosen to use some of the most generic characters in shonen history as the main characters. I mean the main characters never change their still the same people they where after their introductory arc, the only two people who have changed since their introductory arcs are Nami and Robin, and that's because their flashbacks occur sometime after they join.

Luffy makes Goku look deep.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

For me the problem is that while Oda has created this amazing world of depth, with great characters he has chosen to use some of the most generic characters in shonen history as the main characters. I mean the main characters never change their still the same people they where after their introductory arc, the only two people who have changed since their introductory arcs are Nami and Robin, and that's because their flashbacks occur sometime after they join.

Luffy makes Goku look deep.

Odd thing I've noticed about the characters in OP: The most threatening and dangerous major villains (Arlong, Eneru, Crocodile, Lucci and Moria) tend to be very cold, intelligent and calculating...while by contrast the "good charaters" tend to be completely cartoonish emotional spazzes who act goofy at the drop of a hat. Except for Robin who USED to be a villain...

It's almost like Oda is saying that being really smart and mature is a bad thing
Taker128

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

This is not the only sales burst op had, it had and other run of boost sale between volume 24-30 that push the series' popularity to level of DB was back than, it just that the recent streak has been mind boggling.

Take First-prints record, volume 60 is the 9th time op brakes that record, previous times are volume 24(252 millions),25(254),26(260),27(263),56(285),57(300),58(310),59(320).

By comparison, the largest print for Naruto ever was volume 31 with 162 million and DB was volume 35 with 220 million which ties, but didn't break the record. While print doesn't translate into sales, it nevertheless represents the usual sales trend for the book, and most of time the book need to sell through 50-60% in first couple week.

With that being said, OP's first print has been over 2 million mark ever since volume 15 or so, and it has always been the year-end sales leader since year 2, (with exception of 2005, and 2006 where it was 2rd next to Nana in 2005 and HxH and 2nd to Nana in 2006 according to Japanese wiki,The 6 straight #1 yearly sales from 1998 to 2004 is also a record and it's also the fastest to reach 100million mark, 7years, with volume 36.) All this shows that this series has always been popular since it first started.

If you don't like the series, after all these chapters, you are not going to like it now anyway, because the main reason for what going on right now with the sale is because OP didn't loose many of it old fans compare to other shonen bigs overtime.

ANyway for those who like to see the changes in first-print record, here's the website: (in Japanese):

http://www.geocities.jp/wj_log/rank/
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
The manga doesn't even show in Top 20 Manga lists.
*sigh* I'm ready...depression Sad
sender wrote:
Well... apart of some goofy villains at the start.... the main culprit of one piece going so-so in US (and other parts of america)has only one name.... 4Kids.... damn editing bastards...
There's that...
and the fact that it didn't have anything to do with Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean; or that many kids thought that Luffy was just a grinning goofball with lame, stretchy powers; or that there wasn't enough "action" (and by "action," I mean fighting); or that kids felt Luffy took too long to find the One Piece, etc.
Shenl742 wrote:
It's almost like Oda is saying that being really smart and mature is a bad thing
I wouldn't be surprised, have you read the prefaces and/or the SBS columns in the GNs...
JaQiLinOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
I wonder who's richer... Oda or kakifly? Laughing
sender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
Genet wrote:
sender wrote:

Of course you have a point with that, but seriously, the kick start of series like naruto, bleach and OP outside of japan is the anime... only avid manga/anime fans buy manga, is far more common when popularity raise because of a good animation...that 4kids ruined (not saying that the original animation was that great but that 4kids edition really made the teletubbies look smart in comparison with one pice)...and yes...I really hate 4kids.
whitefangrazorblade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:08 am Reply with quote
Taker128 wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

This is not the only sales burst op had, it had and other run of boost sale between volume 24-30 that push the series' popularity to level of DB was back than, it just that the recent streak has been mind boggling.

Take First-prints record, volume 60 is the 9th time op brakes that record, previous times are volume 24(252 millions),25(254),26(260),27(263),56(285),57(300),58(310),59(320).

By comparison, the largest print for Naruto ever was volume 31 with 162 million and DB was volume 35 with 220 million which ties, but didn't break the record. While print doesn't translate into sales, it nevertheless represents the usual sales trend for the book, and most of time the book need to sell through 50-60% in first couple week.

With that being said, OP's first print has been over 2 million mark ever since volume 15 or so, and it has always been the year-end sales leader since year 2, (with exception of 2005, and 2006 where it was 2rd next to Nana in 2005 and HxH and 2nd to Nana in 2006 according to Japanese wiki,The 6 straight #1 yearly sales from 1998 to 2004 is also a record and it's also the fastest to reach 100million mark, 7years, with volume 36.) All this shows that this series has always been popular since it first started.

If you don't like the series, after all these chapters, you are not going to like it now anyway, because the main reason for what going on right now with the sale is because OP didn't loose many of it old fans compare to other shonen bigs overtime.

ANyway for those who like to see the changes in first-print record, here's the website: (in Japanese):

http://www.geocities.jp/wj_log/rank/

Thanks for the information, I didn't know most of them and now I know hehehe!. One Piece for me is the best all thanks to ODA sensie. ODA FTW!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2