Forum - View topic
Do NOT ask for Downloads! [Or Illegal Streaming Video Links]


Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dfg



Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
How about trying this:

Hey Can I find download links to Anime C?


Yeah sure but we can't link you here.

Google this: C [2011] (tv) totse.info

Would that work?

A) I am not breaking the rule since I just pasted some references.
B) It's not a direct link to a torrent.
C) You can't get prosecuted for that, I can even paste a Google Search link and it will still work.


The point is the rule is a rule but as long as I am allowed to do this.

Hey what about other anime BD releases?


Google: Anime BD Collection Reddit

If you want to start an argument on this I am more than happy to address it. But I am not linking anything. I am not even using the URL bbcode.

Are we cool with this? or do I have forget everything about etc and just act like a zombie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rukiia



Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 1764
Location: British Columbia, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Dfg wrote:
How about trying this:

Hey Can I find download links to Anime C?


Yeah sure but we can't link you here.

Google this: C [2011] (tv) totse.info

Would that work?

A) I am not breaking the rule since I just pasted some references.
B) It's not a direct link to a torrent.
C) You can't get prosecuted for that, I can even paste a Google Search link and it will still work.



Let me fix something here for you:
Quote:
How about trying this:

Hey Can I find download links to Anime C?


No, but you can watch the series legally on Funimation's site.

Go to this link here: http://beta.funimation.com/​c-​control

Would that work?

A) I am not breaking the rule since I just pasted some references.
B) It's not a direct link to a torrent.
C) You can't get prosecuted for that, I can even paste a Google Search link and it will still work.
D) It is completely legal.

Much better. Cool

The whole point of ANN asking people to not ask for downloads is because they don't wish to encourage piracy. And really, if people want to illegally download Anime it is not hard to do a Google search. I never understood why people would go to forums/Yahoo Answers and ask such stupid questions. There are millions of downloading/streaming sites on the web. I think they are just being lazy.

But honestly, we should be encouraging those people to view their Anime via legal streams. Some people don't realize that fansubs are illegal and it is better to educate them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dfg



Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, considering that in Pakistan everything gets pirated and the Anime sold in local store is pirated to the max and even in book stores you CAN'T find legal Anime DVDs or BD and to top it off you can't pay for any major LEGAL websites, I think I can use those illegal channel to watch something that's beyond approach.

If I had to pay for Anime I wouldn't be watching it, the industry wouldn't boom, new users wouldn't take interest in it. As a pirate or a guy who can't buy these things legally even if he wanted to, I do my share of promotion.

As a totsean I do beleive in spreading name. Like the anime C episode came out a while ago and if was the typical Pakistani or an average anime watched I wouldn't have know about them.

The fact that I select anime after watching few episodes via torrents kind of shows it. Also, keep in mind without the fansubs you won't attract new viewers. I busted my ass to get subtitles for few anime two or three years back.

There are always pros and cons. You're just looking at it differently. If I had some money and BD's were available locally I would purchase them but I would purchase them for archiving.


In short, no matter what way you look at it, blocking fansubs or not promoting them will only harm the industry. Sure it it might hurt sales but in the long run it will create more dedicated fans.

Trust me, I post tons of Anime links and thanks to that new users decided to take interest in them and later purchased the BD. If you want I can go about and e-mailing studios and talk this out with them. By linking them to download websites you're actually promoting there content.


Look at the bigger picture.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rukiia



Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Posts: 1764
Location: British Columbia, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Dfg wrote:
Well, considering that in Pakistan everything gets pirated and the Anime sold in local store is pirated to the max and even in book stores you CAN'T find legal Anime DVDs or BD and to top it off you can't pay for any major LEGAL websites, I think I can use those illegal channel to watch something that's beyond approach.

Just because Anime is pirated in your country doesn't mean every other country should be doing it. Better yet, just because people are doing it doesn't mean you have the right to do it. Hate to break it to you but Anime is not an entitlement. It is a luxury. Pirating Anime is illegal, meaning you can go to jail for it, no matter what kind of argument you try to make.

Dfg wrote:
If I had to pay for Anime I wouldn't be watching it, the industry wouldn't boom, new users wouldn't take interest in it. As a pirate or a guy who can't buy these things legally even if he wanted to, I do my share of promotion.

Again....Anime is a luxury. You gotta pay for it unless it is offered for free legally. The people who make Anime have to eat and pay for their living expenses too, you know? They are human beings.

Dfg wrote:
As a totsean I do beleive in spreading name. Like the anime C episode came out a while ago and if was the typical Pakistani or an average anime watched I wouldn't have know about them.

That is fine and dandy but if Anime dies out completely then you won't have any news to spread around now, will you? Pirating Anime is killing the industries.

Dfg wrote:
The fact that I select anime after watching few episodes via torrents kind of shows it. Also, keep in mind without the fansubs you won't attract new viewers. I busted my ass to get subtitles for few anime two or three years back.

That used to be the case years ago, but now there are sites offering shows legally. Maybe not every single Anime show in existence, or even every single country in the world, but a mass majority of them. Can't have everything in the world.

Dfg wrote:
There are always pros and cons. You're just looking at it differently. If I had some money and BD's were available locally I would purchase them but I would purchase them for archiving.

There are never pros to downloading Anime illegally. Look at what happened with Geneon and ADV Films. Better yet, look at what scanlations did to TokyoPop. I am quite pissed off that TokyoPop is shutting down as they have licensed alot of my favorite series. Also, I'm not rich but I can still buy Anime because it is not expensive if I bargain hunt. There are great deals out there for Anime, you just gotta look for them. Better yet, you can just buy an all region DVD player and then buy the R1 releases.

Dfg wrote:
In short, no matter what way you look at it, blocking fansubs or not promoting them will only harm the industry. Sure it it might hurt sales but in the long run it will create more dedicated fans.

Dedicated fans are those who pay and support the industry/artists. Stealing is hardly dedication. It is flat out being cheap and there is no excuse for it.

Dfg wrote:
Trust me, I post tons of Anime links and thanks to that new users decided to take interest in them and later purchased the BD. If you want I can go about and e-mailing studios and talk this out with them. By linking them to download websites you're actually promoting there content.

That is good that you are getting people to buy the merchandise. However, you should be directing them to legal streaming sites. And no, you are not promoting the series from offering sites to illegal downloading sites. You are only hurting the industry and increasing the consumer's risk of getting caught and sued/arrested.


Dfg wrote:
Look at the bigger picture.

That piracy kills the Anime industry?

I actually had a change of heart in regards to fansubs/scanlations thanks to having a chat with Greg Ayres. He made some very good points and now I'm working on getting all of my Anime/Manga through legal means only. I don't want any more English companies to die, thanks.


But all in all, ANN is never ever going to allow people to make suggestions to pirated sites when others ask. Not going to ever happen even if you try to be sneaky about it.

End of story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dfg



Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Can I be SUPER sneaky about it?

Look you're looking this issue from one side. I don't mind if ANN decides to block the whole Internet. I am used to censorship and control in major or mostly all the forums [except totse.com and totse.info] but as ab Anime fan it doesn't do any good.

Like for example, I wrote some review about some rare anime that I found. Now, I can't share it here because I may or may not have added links in it to various torrent trackers.

I am just worried about that. That what if I found something and I wanted to share with ANN and in hopes it may lead to something else which is better.

Sure being pure isn't a bad thing but allowing some flexibility would be great. People cried about the Music industry for ages. The Anime industry needs to adapt and trust me, it's adapting when you see the streaming websites.

But the expansion also means quality control goes down. I can't wait for a year to watch and anime that I never saw. That would ruin things for me.

Listen I know this debate will go nowhere in the end. You already have made your point and it's pointless to debate this. The fact is, no matter what you do, piracy will exist. The harder you fight it the stronger it gets. The best policy is to allow it and then promote or guide users to better things.

Make them fans and convert them into dedicated users who would prefer paying than torrenting. It takes month or even years for that to happen.

I asked some girl who is quite intelligent and enjoys Naruto. I told her that if Naruto Manga was available in Pakistan and it was legal would you buy it? She just said no. She is a fan of naruto and is an educated girl. That answer surprised me.

Some people will always prefer the freebies regardless of the quality. During these past years I don't recall ever streaming anime.

Anyway, I will add more later. My Electricity will go out in few minutes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tony K.
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 9449
Location: Frisco, TX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
@Dfg

Here's a tip for making replies. Instead of quoting a giant post and replying with an equally substantial amount of words, please only quote the most relevant parts, type "@user"," or simply reply as if your post will appear directly underneath that user's post. Excessive quoting is an eyesore and takes up needless space. There's no need to it unless it's fairly crowded discussions.

As for the "sneaky" solicitations, as longs you don't post anything on the forums, that's fine. If there's a title you want to discuss and people show interest, you can do all the sneakiness you want and tell them how to find said title through a PM. We're not the Gestapo and we do promote interaction with the rest of the fandom, but we also have some manner of scruples to maintain being, "the Internet's #1 trust anime news site" and all that. If the opportunity should arise for your to "spread the joy," by all means, feel free to. Just don't do it publicly on these forums. Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Dfg



Joined: 15 Apr 2011
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:35 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip but I was going to edit and fix it. My electricity went out and since I live in Pakistan I usually face rolling blackouts for extended period of time Sad.

After thinking and doing some discussion on &T, I see your point. ANN attracts a large group of Anime fans and if you guys included links or promoted torrents you might get axed by some companies or face law suit. I have been doing a bit of digging around and it seems majority of the forums are removing content or blocking things that were common two or three years ago.

I don't blame ANN for this and I am not going to push you guys into doing something that might harm this place. The Internet as we know it is changing the Government and Major companies are looking for an excuse to take you out.

The website I usually post on has literally no limits and I usually start a cross forums discussion and compare different responses. Since the website has an open policy regarding torrents etc I was fearful I might get banned for this.

But I will be careful Smile.

Thanks for the responses and good luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
celeste219



Joined: 18 Apr 2012
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
hi to admin here, im a newbie and i just want to ask if i can watch videos of my favorite anime here like the legend of snow white..i understand that i can't ask for download links so if by chance is there away i can watch the full video of the anime i like? i hope i am not breaking any rules here...
waiting for your reply...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 11828
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
celeste219 wrote:
hi to admin here, im a newbie and i just want to ask if i can watch videos of my favorite anime here like the legend of snow white..i understand that i can't ask for download links so if by chance is there away i can watch the full video of the anime i like? i hope i am not breaking any rules here...
waiting for your reply...

Check the Video tab at the top of the page and look under anime. If we have it (and this site does host a lot of videos) then you can watch it. We do not have the one you mentioned, however; in fact, I wasn't even aware that an anime version of Snow White existed until you brought it up. Good luck tracking that one down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group