• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maoyū (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was nice. I think the economic portion made sense about war benefiting both sides. If you think about it, while WW1 ending wasn't a direct cause of the Great Depression, the end of the war was still a reason the depression started because of the debt. How did the depression stop? America needed another WW to help end the depression. I am interested to see how the Queen and Hero stop this without actually ending the war.

Also I liked how some of my favorite VAs, Jun Fukuyama and Miyuki Sawashiro, are in it. Miyuki is the VA of Inori from Kokoro Connect and she is the blonde girl who was a part of the Hero's group. Also the ending, with spoiler[the body pillow was hilarious.]
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Not bad. The boobs didn't bother me by the way. Wink

I didn't expect the show was going to be so blunt with its "economic teachings". Makes it easier to follow along for me but I figured the target audience would already know the basics and the writing would have been more subtle. But, then again, this is a Adventure Comedy, so maybe not.

I'm a bit iffy on the Central Nation spoiler[going straight to poverty if the war ends.] I understand that spoiler[exporting goods to allied nations will provide security and income but, doesn't the CN have anything else to fall back on?] I also understand that by using spoiler[mercenaries instead of soldiers], the CN can put limit their loses of the population. But, isn't there a risk thatspoiler[ if the mercenaries decide to stop fighting (like if the CN or Southern Nation can no longer financially support them) then, the nations might be conquered by the Demons?]

At least, they're staring small and working on the food shortage first, then working their way up.
So, that's how people use spoiler[Dakimakura]....hmm...interesting.

Raftina wrote:
...brb, imagining Maoyu as a yaoi series with a male Demon King.

While not as savvy in economics, Kyo Kara Maoh more or less fits this.

Still, if the Demon King was a man, then obviously the Hero would had no problem killing him, thus ending the show. I just find the whole spoiler["become my Hero then I'll screw you" contract ] too predictable. I guess the spoiler[Hero's virginity] is now a plot point.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
the economics wouldn't work because they only count one sides impact. adding the demon army to the use of the resources defeats the slim benefits killing off a percentage of the population in battles would render plus the idea that war reduces plagues is laughable.

but taking any anime seriously is a waste of the entertainment value they have. the artwork was nice the premiss so far has been refreshingly different. the demon king's little "Boo" after being pealed off was hilarious. I'm liking this series so far (fingers crossed).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

This will probably be my show of the season as the premise seems very attractive and the first episode was done rather well.

I found the economics of the first episode a little nicer than some of you, I think there may have been some trouble in what the Demon Kimg was trying to explain. Her point with the food was that as long as there is a war the highclass nations that now have infertile land have reasons to have some control of food from high food production areas, the reasoning being that the head states are giving security. A big part of the issue is that Humans are not advancing to a more stable method as the war method is much easier, even though it can lead to cival wars.

I got the feeling that we were shown things like the burning of people due to fear of demon sickness was that fear and the use of a vague enemy (demons) are used to kep everyone in control. For greater peace they will probably need a better economic plan, so that the demand of food in different areas is being met by the supply. But there needs to be a benefit to the producers that will keep them happy, although becoming too prosperous could upset power. If I were to guess I would say that they need the high class places to provide not only security, but something that only culture and education can provide.

As for the other aspects, the possible romantic elemets is a little less subtle than the the couple most of us are comparing to, but this may work to an advantage as we tend to get rather frustrated over teassing. I am worried about both characters being chaste at the beginning though as it gives the opinion that they will not want to change this aspect as a way to keep them both pure instead of having them actually grow. And the humour is a lot more obvious, like the Demon King having a spoiler[stream of tears over her arm flab, and her kind of creepy pillow] bit, but this can make the comedy more accessable, and I am sure most of us thought it was funny.

I do look forward to seeing this continue on, I was happy to notice that it was not just the lead duo' seituu who I had past enjoyment with, but the female knight (apparently called Femal Knight) is voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro who I have been a big fan of recently. I do wonder how the maids work, their outfits are quite un-sexy compared to the usual trope so I wonder about what part they play. And lastly I am also a little interested in what the actual difference between a Demon and Human are, especially since the spoiler[horns turned out to be fake.]
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
What was the name of the recent anime created after Onegai Sensei? Yep, this one is the same to Spice and Wolf. I'll watch for now, but to me LOL Heroes had a better first episode.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
What was the name of the recent anime created after Onegai Sensei? Yep, this one is the same to Spice and Wolf. I'll watch for now, but to me LOL Heroes had a better first episode.

You mean Waiting in the Summer? But that was made by the same developers as Onegai Sensei. But I see your point. I thought of it as a mixture of Spice and Wolf and Aesthetics of a Rouge Hero that came out last year.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
ep.1

spoiler[so um long war between humans & demons being going to one day the blue hero go charge in to slay demon king but surprise demon ruler is woman with big "meat".

give demon ruler/ruby eyes had waiting for hero to come give to explain all about the human vs demon war is like economics business to if go no matter who wins it will lead to everyone loses on this war.

so showing memory lantern, reasons to side with ruby eyes, & deals talkings so blue hero agree to contract to side with ruby eyes so all set now team-up find safer way peaceful way to end the battles.

all set give huh memory lantern show ruby eyes with blue hero pillow size & her horn were fake with that now the journey begins.]

yea whole 3rd time of lelouch-kallen/kraft-holo now in this series oh my wonder will this be charm on it?
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
egoist wrote:

You mean Waiting in the Summer? But that was made by the same developers as Onegai Sensei. But I see your point. I thought of it as a mixture of Spice and Wolf and Aesthetics of a Rouge Hero that came out last year.

Good point. I won't deny the mix feeling.

Since you always have a cute avatar.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quote
I liked the first episode a lot. The humour and the world situation worked for me as did the DK's succulent bazooms. The production values are stellar. I am less enamoured with Hero's typical, "you are a beautiful woman with large breasts - arrgggh, don't touch me!" attitude but I guess you can't have everything.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
Finally! It has aired.And my expectations were meet.
Love the economics talk about war by the Demon Queen.
I hope everyone learns something interesting about this series.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Hrmm...

I've already invested time into a (sci-fi) fantasy series recently in the form of Sword Art Online, but I am finding this difficult not to give this my attention due to the outstanding background landscaping. I love a production that affords particular attention to the quality of all facets of the art.

Apart from that, it does look amusing in a light fanservice-esque sort of way, and though I am not overly intrigued by the premise, it could grow to be a credible statement on the macroscopic sociological concept that humans are most at peace with each other when they have a large enough external threat to address and, by extension, the fragility of human morality and contentment. I may be holding the series to far too high a standard so early in its run, but it gives me hope and incentive to give this one a try. Might as well. Everything from last year is nearly over.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Interesting first ep. Hoping for some action instead of all talking.
Regarding the economics, sounds like bs to me at least if applied in our world. The amount of money and resources spent in wars is more than enough to feed the world multiple times over. If anything the benefit of war is technological advancement which is completely ignored here.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
This is similar to Spice and Wolf.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
On a different note, the deal with the devil in this episode reminded me a lot of spoiler[the wedding scene] in Romeo x Juliet. The Hero and the Demon King bear a passing physical resemblance to Romeo and Juliet. They appear to be alone in a desolate looking structure when they (note: this spoiler tag is meant more for Romeo x Juliet than Maoyu) spoiler[execute their own vows. The difference is mainly that the Hero and the Demon King are quite confident when exchanging vows--and it's pretty much supposed to resemble a wedding vow--, with their shyness coming out only afterwards. By contrast, Romeo and Juliet were quite diffident when exchanging vows.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
Interesting first ep. Hoping for some action instead of all talking.
Regarding the economics, sounds like bs to me at least if applied in our world. The amount of money and resources spent in wars is more than enough to feed the world multiple times over. If anything the benefit of war is technological advancement which is completely ignored here.

You are forgetting the employment that would come in a medievil society in war. Modern societies have ruling government bodies that recieve taxes from states that are supposed to be used in protection, infastructer, and an economic balance that allows proper compensation. The more complex economic plan weighs itself nowdays to requiring a large amount of borrowing, while the elder one required only minimal compensation as everyone is afraid of the "demon threat".

The side effect of the economy also causes side effects like that part with the fire we saw earlier. And the reason war uses resources that could feed the people is that the governing bodies borrow money and or resources from other countries, resources they could have used to purchase food for the people. It is a different fact when it is food that is being taken and distributed as they see fit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 18