• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are you also a shipper?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
The only fandom I have ever really been involved with shipping in is Princess Tutu. I ship the heck out of Mytho (spoiler[Siegfried], really) and Rue. No one else in the series really does it for me, though, and I get bored/sick of Fakir/Duck mostly due to overexposure. They're cute, but they're also everywhere, and the dynamic doesn't seem particularly interesting to me personally.

Also a little of Hiei/Mukuro from Yu Yu Hakusho, which falls into this category of "things of I shipped before I even knew what shipping was."

If these things can be counted in a pattern... Then I ship the characters I like the most when they have a suitable dynamic. And do so passionately. Normally, though, it's not really a part of my fandom experience, so to speak.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of Mytho and Rue myself. And I agree with the overexposure of Fakiru a bit, because I honestly would love more Mytho/Rue myself. Fakir and Ahiru's story arcs were perfect and I don't really need to read fanfiction for them. It's Mytho and Rue who I want to read about further. There's so much room for them to grow as a couple - spoiler[I think they have a lot of hurdles and self-doubts to overcomes in regards to the Raven's blood beyond the "Happily Ever After".] I've actually thought up of a story that if I ever get the desire to write focuses on them. I've never been quite pleased with my writing style, but I really like the story I thought up for them.

While I got the most satisfaction with Fakir and Ahiru's development, I think Rue and Mytho left me the most intrigued by their potential, their shared misery, and spoiler[their suddenly bright future (which I think is too soon to announce... they need to learn to develop a healthy relationship and pass some personal obstacles before they reach that point). Rue's confession/sacrifice gives me shivers and I was left a squealing little fangirl when Siegfried announced her as his choice.]

And, yay, Hiei and Mukuro. I still haven't seen beyond the first season and yet I like the couple. Blame fanfiction again. They sound like a couple I'd like though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I'm a big fan of Mytho and Rue myself. And I agree with the overexposure of Fakiru a bit, because I honestly would love more Mytho/Rue myself. Fakir and Ahiru's story arcs were perfect and I don't really need to read fanfiction for them. It's Mytho and Rue who I want to read about further. There's so much room for them to grow as a couple - spoiler[I think they have a lot of hurdles and self-doubts to overcomes in regards to the Raven's blood beyond the "Happily Ever After".] I've actually thought up of a story that if I ever get the desire to write focuses on them. I've never been quite pleased with my writing style, but I really like the story I thought up for them.

While I got the most satisfaction with Fakir and Ahiru's development, I think Rue and Mytho left me the most intrigued by their potential, their shared misery, and spoiler[their suddenly bright future (which I think is too soon to announce... they need to learn to develop a healthy relationship and pass some personal obstacles before they reach that point). Rue's confession/sacrifice gives me shivers and I was left a squealing little fangirl when Siegfried announced her as his choice.]

Spot on, there. At least I agree completely! Their potential is one of the greatest things about them; spoiler[I do believe they can and will get their happy ending, but they still both have issues to overcome, and not only with the Raven's blood.]

I could go on about this for a while, especially about Mytho's characterization and how, while he may have pined after spoiler[Tutu] for a while,spoiler[ his relationship with Rue is his first time actually being so close to another person.] And the relationship between two real people, especially those strongly affected by something otherworldly, so to speak, is going to be very different from any fairy tale ideal.

Things like that are where the rest of the story lies, for the most part. Duck and Fakir's storyline was great, but it's pretty complete.

So slightly more on topic, related to the general subject of shipping, I do think having room to speculate and think is part of the fun. That applies to more than just shipping, obviously, but seeing what the couples do and how they work outside of just the given situations can be interesting. That kind of does make Mytho and Rue the best of both worlds, in my opinion: spoiler[canon, but still with plenty of room to move their relationship forward]. Delightful. Laughing

Also, it's kind of long, but if you can get through Yu Yu Hakusho, do so. Not just for the shipping, it's a fun show!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
Well, the Fakiru thing really pisses ME off because
spoiler[In the end, she's a duck. A duck and a human CAN'T have a romance like regular couples do.]

How can you guys be OKAY with that type of ending!? That's freaking TRAGIC AND CRUEL to the shippers! D:<

So yeah, I need my fanfics...preferably in well-drawn doujinshi form.
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:41 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
spoiler[In the end, she's a duck. A duck and a human CAN'T have a romance like regular couples do.]

How can you guys be OKAY with that type of ending!? That's freaking TRAGIC AND CRUEL to the shippers! D:<

Well, I'm okay with it because normal romance isn't necessarily needed? The point of the ending was to show that even if spoiler[she was "just a duck,"] she could be every bit as... generally wonderful, for lack of a better way to put it, and that Fakir would stay beside her no matter what. It's not a traditional happy ending, but it's the one the characters themselves chose, and as a result, I find it particularly meaningful. They don't need regular romance to be happy, they need to be themselves.

My view on this may be skewed, though. Honestly, I never even saw them as pairing until fandom pointed it out, while I found their friendship to be a touching one. Thinking about what I said above, I wasn't quite being complete. Fakir and Duck's romantic dynamic doesn't really appeal to me. But friendship? Yes, please.
amarielah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
I'm a multishipper, with a few ships I'm more fond of than others -- as well as a fair number of OT3s. There's very little pattern to what I end up shipping; it basically comes down to whether or not I find their character interaction interesting, and how that would translate into romance. Generally speaking, I'm attracted to pairings that are at least a little bit on the unhealthy side in terms of codependency, obsessiveness or personality clashes. I'm also really drawn to villain/hero pairups because I love complex inter-personal conflict. And gender is of absolutely no consequence.

For example, my biggest ships in Gintama are Gintoki/Kagura and Otae/Kyuubei, but I can see Kagura/Okita and Gintoki/[insert pretty much any character here but preferably Hasegawa] without any problems, so long as they're well-written (in the case of fanfic) and/or pretty (in the case of fanart). Once Takasugi gets more screentime and character development, I'll probably end up shipping him with any number of the protagonists. Same goes for Kamui.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:39 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

You have forgotten that Fakir is a writer whose stories become reality, and this type of ending opens up endless possibilities for imagination. Cool For example, he may write a story in which he changes into a duck and has a lot of little ducklings with Ahiru.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
For example, he may write a story in which he changes into a duck and has a lot of little ducklings with Ahiru.

Awwww, that sounds awesome!

While obviously I do like it when my ships get a happily ever after ending, I ship enough of non-canon pairings that it doesn't bother me too much when they don't. Another reason for not participating in shipping wars.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

As a follow-up to Symmetrical_Magician and Aylinn, I think the ending ended on the perfect note (with them accepting who they are and staying by each other's side). spoiler[And it left enough of a hint out there to those fans who want them together romantically. I don't remember the exact words, but the narrator stated at the end that Fakir was writing a new story filled with "hope". While the wording could mean in a general fashion, since Duck became the embodiment of Hope, this could also mean that Fakir was writing another story about Duck. I can't quote the source right now, but I'm pretty damn certain I remember reading on the Princess Tutu livejournal forums that, by Word of God, Fakir did have feelings beyond friendship for Duck by the end.]

And while I wouldn't mind seeing a more romantic take on their relationship (and I have read a couple of good fanfics), I don't want to read a generic romance story for them - I think that would ruin it. Fakir and Duck had a special relationship going for them, and I think any further would screw up the perfect note that the series ended on. And I especially don't want to see an official take on it. spoiler[There was another post on the lj community where one of the people who worked on the project (director? writer? I don't remember) did a little follow-up of the series. I can't remember if it was an interview or whatnot, but he/she imagines that Duck and Siegfried would meet again (due to some sort of magic) and Siegfried would state that he wanted to be with her longer, but that he needs to protect Rue (making it sound like an obligation). [Redacted]]

spoiler[After I read that, I wanted to throw something at the wall, because I could see such an ending exist. Duck still loved Mytho at the end, and Mytho and Rue's Happily Ever After was a bit too happy. Siegfried's feelings for Rue and Duck are still a bit ambiguous, but with the ending being as it is I trust that Siegfried chose Rue because he did have at least some feelings of love he wanted to further develop with her (rather than because his Prince instincts kicked in and he needed to protect her). There were enough hints in the series that his feelings were true (he went searching for Rue specifically to dance with during his lowest point after turning into a full-fledged crow, it was HER declaration of love that brought him back to human form, and he states that he will kill himself after defeating the raven to follow his princess in death). And the ending provided enough hints that Fakir and Duck could go on to further develop a relationship as well. However, that ending is negated with the tragic love story where Princess Tutu and Siegfried meet later but can't stay together. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! There are not enough angry faces in the world to adequately express my anger. (An outright rejection would be more merciful than if Mytho chose Rue out of pity or a sense of obligation.)]

Yeah, I don't want any more official work to the series. Goddamn. It ended on the perfect note.

EDIT: Okay, damn it, I went searching and I found the relevant posts.

Here's the post concerning the post-series meet up of Ahiru and Mytho. It was a live drama performed by the seiyuu and written by Ikuko Itoh. On March 21, 2004, at the Gold Crown Town Fantasy 3.AKT Princess Tutu only event (an event to display and sell Princess Tutu doujinshi), there was a talkshow with Ikuko Itoh scheduled, but to everyone's surprise, director Juunichi Satou and the seiyuu for Ahiru, Mytho, Autor, and Uzura showed up. They held a live drama recording written by Itoh that takes place after the last episode of the anime.

spoiler[Okay, so my memory, once again, exaggerates what was said, but it possibly gives the impression mentioned above. But it also gives the impression that Mytho idolized Tutu but had real feelings for Rue. Soooo.... meh. More ambiguity! Also, it's based on the memories of those who saw the show, so some things might be missed. It provides some interesting implications for the relationships at least. But it was a 4th-wall breaking skit that only a limited number of people saw (and are recalling basing off of their memories), so I'm giving it little weight. I think the series pretty well shows Siegfried's feelings for Rue even if they're in their stages of infancy.

I want my Mytho/Rue relationship development, damnit.]

And as for Fakir's feelings for Duck, a relationship guide was posted in the Princess Tutu guidebooks. spoiler[For the season 2 relationship guide, Fakir's feelings for Duck translates to "a delicate kind of love."]

Last edited by Crisha on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Symmetrical_Magician wrote:
because normal romance isn't necessarily needed?

Yes, it is. *shot* Anime hyper

willag wrote:
Duck still loved Mytho at the end

Honestly, I hated that. I really wanted her to fall out of love with him-she didn't need to love him to save the town spoiler[(your friends being eaten by a raven is motivation enough!)] Also, I never understood why she adored an emotionless doll so much. Rue had a really good reason to love him since long ago but Ahiru? "He had pretty eyes that look lonely".
Come on, Ahiru! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
And as for Fakir's feelings for Duck, a relationship guide was posted in the Princess Tutu guidebooks. [spoiler]For the season 2 relationship guide, Fakir's feelings for Duck translates to "a delicate kind of love."

How adorable! Anime hyper

Word of God also states that spoiler["it should not be ruled out that Fakir cannot write Ahiru as a girl again". And if she did a sequel, it would be revolve around those two.]

The interview is at the Princess Tutu Fanclub on DeviantArt for anyone who wants clarification. :>
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I must admit that I was never particularly thrilled about the romance in Princess Tutu. Part of it might be that I did not like the show quite that much, but part of it was also because it was too obvious where the show was going with it: spoiler[Fakir did the shoujo declaration of love as early as episode 5.] Which reminds me...

rheiders wrote:
I ship Aya x Yuuhi from Ayashi no Ceres because I think they have a lot more chemistry than the canon pairing.

This is one example of many where I preferred the more ordinary partner to the more exotic one. Part of it is no doubt because I prefer the childhood friend, but it's also because the more exotic option is too busy being mysterious or maintaining a cool facade to really develop an interesting relationship with the protagonist. I was mentally screaming at Kouta during Elfen Lied, "Why! Why are you so obsessed with Nyu/Lucy when Yuka is right there?" If the writer thinks the childhood friend is the boring option, then throw a curveball like Shuffle spoiler[and make the other childhood friend the winner]... or something.

DuskyPredator wrote:
but dissaprove of Saria becaus either she is a major cradle snatcher, or the fact she is an eternal loli due to not aging. And as for Zelda, well I like the theory that Zelda in OoT is Links sister too much to like a relationship with her (look it up).

But Zelda is your...

We actually do not know what Saria's actual age is. Presumably, the Kokiri start as babies, because spoiler[they did not find the baby Link growing up to a 10 year old to be unusual.] Regardless of her physical traits and actual age, her character in the game remains suited for a relationship: The Kokiri, however old they may be in years, generally retain the outlook and mental state of a child. Thus, in real years Saria is a match for Link. spoiler[And when he grows up, Saria becomes the Sage of the Forest, attaining a degree of mental growth that is not ordinarily seen in Kokiri. In mind, then, she is an adult and would be suited for adult Link.] Thus, there is no problem with her always having the appearance of a child.
drdr48

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Right now i'm shipping SakixSatoru in From the New World...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:

DuskyPredator wrote:
but dissaprove of Saria becaus either she is a major cradle snatcher, or the fact she is an eternal loli due to not aging. And as for Zelda, well I like the theory that Zelda in OoT is Links sister too much to like a relationship with her (look it up).

But Zelda is your...

There is actually more than a quote from a different game. The is similarity of apperance, we only account for Links mother who died trying to hide her son during a civil war, while Zelda only has her father. The fact Zelda thinks Link's name sounds familiar, that Impa tells Link a song only meant for the royal family very quickly, and I think there is more. It may actually fit a Japanese legend of soulmates reincarnating as siblings, perhaps some Link and Zelda being both their ancestors. There is actually evidence that it Malon is the official choice by the fact Link lives in a ranch village in Twilight Princess.

I still have fondness of Ruto, and I strangely ship a different Link with Medli, which I later learned that the Rito are descendants of the Zora.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
Wait, the ending to Princess Tutu is up to interpretation? I'm pretty sure Fakir didn't spoiler[become a writer just so he could be a bestselling novelist. "It's in the blood" is a very popular Japanese motif, especially regarding the distribution of abilities, characteristics and powers and Princess Tutu involves all three, ending in a "writer is God" plot. Guess what happens next?]

"Foregone conclusion" in every sense of the word. "Double ducking"? Uh, no, how would he hold a pen?

I think the only point where I am an active "shipper" {no fanfic please, I have a weak stomach} is in the anime Baka and Test. Most of the time, I don't care and it depends on what the show's adapting; video game get a pass {especially the multichoice girl games}, manga get a "whatever the original creator chooses", light novels are more open to intepretation given their situational/pragmatic adaptation status {anime producers can more easily choose their own favorites. Probably because the fanbase is more open to new ideas because words give rise to imagination. Or some such nonsense}.

So why Baka and Test over My Little Sister Can't be This Cute or Haruhi Suzumiya? Because it was a parody of the "balanced harem" until, strangely, it wasn't. The second season, eventually, pulled the plot so far out that it couldn't fully snap back to "even" status {Like what Oreimo's probably going to do in its second season. Hurray for status quo!}. All the characters were aware of it {even the idiot} and they had to deal with it.

In an otherwise mediocre/bad season up to that point, it was a nice surprise.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
I must admit that I was never particularly thrilled about the romance in Princess Tutu. Part of it might be that I did not like the show quite that much, but part of it was also because it was too obvious where the show was going with it: spoiler[Fakir did the shoujo declaration of love as early as episode 5.]

Oh come on. That's ridiculous. Rolling Eyes
That's not ONLY a "shoujo declaration of love", that is also a declaration of "Don't effing mess with me or I'll make you regret it". Guys don't do that to only girls-they do it to people who piss them off. It's a simple intimidation stance. You block a person against the wall with your arms so they can't avoid listening to you by running away.

Princess Tutu really tricked me into thinking Fakir was evil at first. It wasn't until his super-cute encounter with Ahiru as a duck that I began to wave my shipper flag. Anime hyper

Quote:
I was mentally screaming at Kouta during Elfen Lied, "Why! Why are you so obsessed with Nyu/Lucy when Yuka is right there?"

Because Yuuka's an ugly, annoying bitch who'd rather punch him than show him affection? =_=

Quote:
Part of it is no doubt because I prefer the childhood friend,

Erghhhhhh (`д´)

*gathers 95% of childhood friends and throws them into a black hole*

Annoying...cliche is annoying! Why can't boys and girls stay friends WITHOUT a sudden declaration of love!?
In real life, that happens QUITE A LOT.

You're right about Yuuhi and Aya though. Tooya was snoresville. =3= He was not interesting so TooyaxAya was not interesting either.

Last edited by Chiibi on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5