• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Necroposting.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:56 am Reply with quote
Aoi_Sakaraba wrote:
There were a few times when I made a thread, and actually searched for an existing one, never saw one, so I continued with my new thread, and I was told off for not using "the old one".

To avoid that problem, I usually start off with a disclaimer stating that I looked for a such-and-such type of thread and if I missed it then said disclaimer constitutes my apology.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Thought I'd answer a newbies questions in a thread... then I thought I'd put the answer here instead...
From here: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1954930#1954930

goofball wrote:
Key wrote:
Yes, please use established threads for this purpose, even if they're older ones. Reviving them after years of inactivity to see if there's any new interest in discussing the subject is perfectly fine and does not violate forum standards about necroposting.

Ok. In other forums you are told not to do that.
Kruszer wrote:
You should look here in this thread first. If the series has a thread you should use an existing one.

Right. I was on the ANN book club thread and no one was responding. As I just mentioned, in other forums I've been told not to revive old threads, with just as much as vigor.

In short, Series talkback threads, the ones that get indexed in the stickied thred, are an exception, they wouldn't index them if they didn't want you to use them. the same goes for the official recommendations threads. For instance, it doesn't matter that no one has posted in the Magic anime recommendations thread in over two years, it's still the thread to use to look for, or ask for, recommendations of shows that deal primarily with magic.

More ephemeral subjects that change significantly from year to year shouldn't be revived-- Say you wanted to discuss antagonists in dark and gritty fatalist anime (hey, you're interested in Texnolyze) and you find a thread from 2005 that only talks about Texnolyze,The SoulTaker, NTHT, Gantz, etc... don't revive it, There have been dozens of newer shows that have changed the subject.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
goofball

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
okie dokie then, like I said, I got attacked on another forum for doing the exact opposite. I'll look into those other anime. Would darker then black fit?

[EDIT: There's also no need to quote an entire post (especially big ones) if your reply is going to appear directly underneath it. Only quote relevant parts if you're making specific reference to those words in particular or if the user is further up or on another page. Otherwise, it's fine to just reply without quoting. This way, you don't take up a bunch of extra space on the page. Thanks - TK]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, some of us are just trying to be helpful and giving advice, but the ones to listen to most closely are the mods like TK and and Key. Definitely read Teh Rules and pay attention to stickied threads, most people here get moderated by not paying attention to what's said in these.

Not that they read everything, they're volunteers and things get missed or unevenly enforced in some cases.

I was actually surprised the recent thread about Haruhi survived, Either missed and left because it created enough new discussion to be left alone or was an exception to the series thread rule because it dealt with both seasons and the movie at once.

You may have also been given a pass in the texnolyze book club thread. Normally, there is no excuse for making 11 posts in a row, or even 2 or 3 (they prefer you to cover absolutely everything you want to say and respond to in one post). I think they either didn't catch it (they don't read everything) or figured you were at least responding point-by point. [edit- whoops, while I was writing this TK did in fact respond to those.

It can take awhile to get used to the structure of this forum but in my opinion it is well worth it.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you could revive Darker Than Black, but take into consideration what I said about keeping things in a more present-time mindset.
goofball

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Who said anything about being moderated? I've never been moderated and this is the first time I've been reprimanded. I guess public humiliation is the discipline method here. I actually studied quoting quite extensively before you chastised me, believe or not. I'll read your links later. Thanks for the help. Also I was not interested in reviving the darker the black thread. You misread me. I haven't seen it. I was asking if it was like texhnolyze. Please read my writing more carefully next time. Thanks.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Sorry. When you asked if Darker Than Black would "fit," I thought you were asking would it "fit" under the category of a thread revival (seeing as how this thread is about necroposting). As to whether or not it's like Texhnolyze, I wouldn't know. I've only seen the first episode of Tex. I do think DTB is an excellent series, though. It's very noir, yet stylish, and it has a pretty cool background story with a lot of sci-fi elements (superpowers and the like).

Also, you haven't been moderated yet. On these forums, "moderation" is when we actually click on the button under your user name in which all of your posts have to be approved by a moderator before anyone else can see them publicly. We only have one actual user under moderation because a majority of his posts are crap. I was just trying to give you a pointer on quoting while at the same time editing your post to show you how it's done. It was not meant to be any kind of admonishment for your actions.

I'm all smiles and just trying to help you: Very Happy... see?

EDIT: Spelling error.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
goofball

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Alright, but I already stated I was not under moderation. see, I'm smiling too. thanks for caring. I'll take notes on the rules. I've been posting in Internet forums for 6+ years, just to let you know! Very Happy Laughing
goofball

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
One more thing, now that I'm replying from my computer and not my phone, which this site is not optimized for, don't assume I'm a "newbie" because I swept through the ANN Book Club Texhnolyze like a hurricane. I was actually referred to it by another user whom I will not name. I was looking for discussion as I watched it, it is unfortunate that no such thing existed. You can hardly blame me for my impulses. The results were disappointing, although I did make one friend out of it, and a couple of other connections that have gone nowhere. Please excuse my flippant sense of humor, its the only way I know how to deal with being annoyed. Very Happy
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Tony wrote:
We only have one actual user under moderation because a majority of his posts are crap.

Just out of curiosity, does that user have the highest post count, and bears a transliterated moniker of a certain Berserk character? Laughing
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Yep.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Yep.

And that is why only a select few can truly become moderators here, at least from what I've noticed over the years.

Two years ago, I actually was browsing this topic and I am a bit surprised to see this topic as a year passed since the last post back in 2011.

I suppose given the nature of this topic, I can ask a question I've been wondering about for several years. Here my question is.

After locking a thread, wouldn't deleting the thread be a good idea as well? Generally, that would probably make some of the forums much shorter, but wouldn't that also speed up ANN as well?

Truthfully, I ask only out of sheer curiosity, but I've been wondering that for several years now, but never really had the chance to ask.

Now I realize what I am asking is no small feat, especially given the sheer volume of ANN. This would hardly be an easy task, especially given how busy Dan is.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
but some are deleted, maybe it depends on the section mod or the section. I see plenty locked topics in this feedback section but not much survives in the general anime section. Like that guy who opened two badly worded and barely thought out topics about a single episode of Allison and Lillia just last week, one was locked and it's already gone.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
but some are deleted, maybe it depends on the section mod or the section. I see plenty locked topics in this feedback section but not much survives in the general anime section. Like that guy who opened two badly worded and barely thought out topics about a single episode of Allison and Lillia just last week, one was locked and it's already gone.

I'll agree that some topics are indeed deleted, but not all. Here is an example of one of the older topics I am talking about.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27

You'll notice right away, that thread is decade old and while no one has posted in that forum since a decade ago, the topic still is around.

But given that I found that on the 363rd page on the anime forum, I realize that very few people, if at all these days even go that far back. I did as an example, but I've only done that now twice in all the years I've been here.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
We have a sub-forum for trash called Locked/Deleted Threads. I think I'm the only one playing the role of garbage man and moving said locked threads to this forum. However, I only do this for the Anime forum since it tends to get the most traffic outside of Talkback, which I usually avoid looking at altogether because if I actually tried cracking down on angry ranters and soapboxers, I'd never have free time.

But yeah, we don't actually "delete" the existence of posts and threads (aside from a one-liner and list posts when I feel the need to clean a thread up), we just move them to a trash forum just in case we need the evidence. I only trash locked threads, though. And again, it's only for the Anime forum.

Apparently, it doesn't even take up that much space in the memory cache if we just leave old threads be. But if someone necroposts it and we lock it, then I trash it 24 hours past its lock.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11