Forum - View topic
Necroposting.


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
guildmaster



Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 325
Location: Hot & Humid FL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
I have the record (5 yrs) in another forum - forgot to look at the last post date- but it held because it was still relevant discussion. My opinion (and we all have one and know what they're worth) is that it's not answered in a newer thread and is still relevant, it should stay. If it's completely useless (the post, that is) delete it (with a notation), and if the thread is basically overdone, then lock it.

Last edited by guildmaster on Thu May 02, 2013 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
4KidsFan



Joined: 30 Apr 2013
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

That's generally what happens the most. People come on here have next to nothing of a post history then just revive a 4+ year term of silence just to say something insignificant like: "yeah, I agree!" or "anyone else a fan of it?" Chances are, if no one's replied in over a year, no one cares anymore. So I lock it, then move it to the trash forum.


Just because a thread hasn't been active for a while doesn't mean no one cares. How could you think that? It just means people ran out of things to say at the moment or aren't interested in anything else. But if some one does in fact have something to say to bring back the conversation, especially for new coming members to swing by that may have a say in a matter apart from all those people that already carried out a discussion in it, then I don't see there being a problem. Any thread is worthy of being revived for new discussions, especially by new members and older ones that never even came to the thread, no matter how long they've been on hiatus for. I'm here saying this because you Tony brought me here after commenting on a thread that was inactive for nearly a year, but I had quite a lot to say to the three users I replied to in regards to their statements. I didn't think that thread needed to be closed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tony K.
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 9557
Location: Frisco, TX

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
4KidsFan wrote:
Just because a thread hasn't been active for a while doesn't mean no one cares. How could you think that?

Because it was dead for 10 months.

4KidsFan wrote:
It just means people ran out of things to say at the moment or aren't interested else.

That's the point.

4KidsFans wrote:
Any thread is worthy of being revived for new discussions, especially by new members and older ones that never even came to the thread, no matter how long they've been on hiatus for.

No, they're not. Because times change, as do their trends and sensibilities. For instance, look at this this thread from 2002 asking "what anime are you looking forward to, this year?" Are you honestly saying that these, once, newly-released titles should have the right to be discussed as if they're brand new in 2013? It's archaic, out of time, and beyond its shelf life. There is absolutely no point in reviving that thread when you can just as easily make a new, more up-to-date topic discussing each individual title with what you know, now.

4KidsFan wrote:
I'm here saying this because you Tony brought me here after commenting on a thread that was inactive for nearly a year, but I had quite a lot to say to the three users I replied to in regards to their statements. I didn't think that thread needed to be closed.

Out of the 3 users you replied to, only one of them still actively posts. One of the others hasn't posted in almost a year (that thread you bumped being the very last one, in fact), and the other has only posted 15 comments since the beginning of the year (which hints at very little activity). Not to mention, another user reported you for, so I did what I thought had to be done: locking the thread and redirecting you here to point out the concept of necroposting.

I will, however, say that any column-related/review threads in Talkback are open for infinite discussion, as per a request to me from Admin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
4KidsFan



Joined: 30 Apr 2013
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Because it was dead for 10 months.


It doesn't matter.

Tony K. wrote:
That's the point.


My "ran out of things to say at the moment" statement still stands and I like how you just skipped over that. And just because some people aren't interested in saying anything else doesn't mean that they can't change their minds or a new person like me isn't bound to eventually come in and say something. As it's been proven, a new person did come in and say something and it wasn't just a simple message. Plus, I could have change the minds of some users that decided to stop posting in the thread and could have had a conversation with them. If not, then newer people that may have liked to come in and have a say in the matter could have came in to say something instead.

Tony K. wrote:
No, they're not. Because times change, as do their trends and sensibilities. For instance, look at this this thread from 2002 asking "what anime are you looking forward to, this year?" Are you honestly saying that these, once, newly-released titles should have the right to be discussed as if they're brand new in 2013?


That's a whole different thread there buddy. That's different since the title indicates something for 2002. A lot of threads aren't structures limitedly to a certain time period and the thread I revived certainly wasn't like that. It was just a thread on behalf of Konami gaining the rights to Yugioh which can still be discussed about for years to come.

Tony K. wrote:
Out of the 3 users you replied to, only one of them still actively posts. One of the others hasn't posted in almost a year (that thread you bumped being the very last one, in fact), and the other has only posted 15 comments since the beginning of the year (which hints at very little activity). Not to mention, another user reported you for, so I did what I thought had to be done: locking the thread and redirecting you here to point out the concept of necroposting.


Those two users could always come back. You'll never know. Plus I took the liberty in PMing one of the users that haven't posted in a while and letting he or she know about my comment reply to them after seeing how active they've been here lately from when they posted. I've done that first after reading their comment, but still wanted to respond and then message them in case they came back so they can come across my reply and make a response if they wish. The other user, I wasn't too concerned on. I wish I knew the user who reported me though. I don't think I deserved that at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 08 Dec 2003
Posts: 9577
Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan, ROC

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
4KidsFan wrote:
It doesn't matter.

I'm not quite sure if you're the one who decides what matters and what matters not. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
4KidsFan



Joined: 30 Apr 2013
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
4KidsFan wrote:
It doesn't matter.

I'm not quite sure if you're the one who decides what matters and what matters not. Confused


In regards to something that is clearly fine that I'm defending here, I'm certainly qualified to do that. Plus, I'm trying to get Tony here to see the light.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 13018
Location: NZL

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
^
Since when were you on a first-name basis with Tony K.?

Oh, and you aren't qualified to talk about necro-posting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Rhyono



Joined: 03 Dec 2011
Posts: 1039

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
@4KidsFan Most forums have necro-posting rules. Those that do have such a rule definitely have a cut off well before 10 months.

I could try playing devil's advocate here, or I can just give you the bottom-line: forums are a dictatorship and Tony (we are on a first-name basis in case you were wondering, dtm) is just enforcing the rules the admins have come up with.

If you dislike the rules of a site, the best thing to do is to cry yourself to sleep/go to a different site.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
4KidsFan



Joined: 30 Apr 2013
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Since when were you on a first-name basis with Tony K.?

Oh, and you aren't qualified to talk about necro-posting.


Yes I am and I was simply referring Tony by his username since it's Tony K after all but just decided to leave the "K" out, if that's alright with you.

Rhyono wrote:
@4KidsFan Most forums have necro-posting rules. Those that do have such a rule definitely have a cut off well before 10 months.


Well I think it's dumb. Threads should be able to be revived regardless of how long it's been inactive for. It's a shame you guys agreed to do what you did.

Rhyono wrote:
If you dislike the rules of a site, the best thing to do is to cry yourself to sleep/go to a different site.


I'll cry myself to sleep and go to a different site when it seems fit. I'm not going to do so now, and I certainly don't need you to tell me this. I know how to drive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tony K.
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 9557
Location: Frisco, TX

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
I really don't care if you guys refer to me with or without the K. I put it there when I joined 'cause I figured "Tony" was already taken. And if it were, well, I'd be the Tony with the "K."

At any rate, the simple solution to an "old" thread being locked would be to just make a new one. It's not to say you can't discuss old topics. If it were me, I would've maybe linked the old article and thread, made a new topic in the Anime forum, and asked for some opinions in hindsight or something. Topic transference isn't that difficult.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 1262
Location: Duel Academy

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
I could try playing devil's advocate here, or I can just give you the bottom-line: forums are a dictatorship and Tony (we are on a first-name basis in case you were wondering, dtm) is just enforcing the rules the admins have come up with.

If you dislike the rules of a site, the best thing to do is to cry yourself to sleep/go to a different site.


I don't think you need to be so harsh and ask someone who just joined to leave. When I started, I too needed a few weeks to get used to the some of the little rules this forum is trying to implement, so lets not all attack the newcomer.

On the other hand, 4KidsFan, there is no point arguing here, each forum has its own little rules that you just need to memorize. Its no big deal really, there is no point to waste energy and argue such trivial matters. Im sure you'll get used to it quickly Wink



Tony K. wrote:
At any rate, the simple solution to an "old" thread being locked would be to just make a new one. It's not to say you can't discuss old topics. If it were me, I would've maybe linked the old article and thread, made a new topic in the Anime forum, and asked for some opinions in hindsight or something. Topic transference isn't that difficult.


Exactly, topic transfer is simple, and I agree that when we make one, the new topic should always be linked. And if someone necroposts, he just needs to be linked to the newer thread without everyone attacking the newcomer Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rhyono



Joined: 03 Dec 2011
Posts: 1039

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I don't think you need to be so harsh and ask someone who just joined to leave. When I started, I too needed a few weeks to get used to the some of the little rules this forum is trying to implement, so lets not all attack the newcomer.


But did you complain about them?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
jr0904



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 2198
Location: New York City,New York,USA

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I really don't care if you guys refer to me with or without the K. I put it there when I joined 'cause I figured "Tony" was already taken. And if it were, well, I'd be the Tony with the "K."

At any rate, the simple solution to an "old" thread being locked would be to just make a new one. It's not to say you can't discuss old topics. If it were me, I would've maybe linked the old article and thread, made a new topic in the Anime forum, and asked for some opinions in hindsight or something. Topic transference isn't that difficult.



True enough. Threads that are like over a year old should definitely be deleted automatically to prevent necroposting from people that are complete newbies to the forum like 4kidsfan.

though what about doing a reply to a thread that is over 2 months old at least?

since a majority of us do have 7 days a week jobs, it's highly unlikely for a majority of us to check our anime emails to see if anyone made a reply to a post especially for my case since i'm military.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tony K.
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 9557
Location: Frisco, TX

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
though what about doing a reply to a thread that is over 2 months old at least?

Depends on the thread, really. My main area of surveillance is the Anime forum. I think the general consensus for most of those topics range around 6-8 months before being considered "old."

The thing with the thread 4KidsFan necro'd is that it was a news headline. Talkback is for more recent columns and articles, but I would hardly consider 10 months to be "breaking news." That's when I'd recommend topic transference, as 10 months is a pretty long time for something to not be "fresh" anymore, at least in the specific case of Talkback.

But yeah, I would say 2 months is absolutely fine for any of the general forums like Anime, Manga, Music, etc. Talkback, I'd probably give no more than a couple of weeks, solely because the site posts so many articles with so many corresponding threads that they get pushed to the back pages relatively fast, and who really talks about old news, anyway?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
jr0904



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 2198
Location: New York City,New York,USA

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Which was why I posted that those very old threads should be deleted once they meet a quota of inactivity.

at least that is something to know if a thread haven't been active for at least a month. cause it does take a while for some people to know that an anime manga or dvd have been reviewed.

though there are times that too much activity can get a topic locked as well. it was the case for the thread reviews for Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha that got like a crapload of post before for some reason one of the mods locked it and from what I have sawn there wasn't any cause it was popular and active enough and there wasn't any flame war going on from my perspective.

so being an active thread do have it's drawbacks too. especially when its highly popular otaku type series like Nanoha and now Madoka Magica.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group