• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Naruto Anime Film Project to Launch in 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Why does it have the advance the plot of the comic? That'd be stupid. I certainly don't want to have to crossover to another medium to understand the story of the comic. A standalone movie (or even one which begins a series) is best for these long-running shounen titles.
animegamingnerd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
maybe they going to make part 1 into a movie
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
animegamingnerd wrote:
maybe they going to make part 1 into a movie

Ain't gonna happen. Squishing 135 episodes into a movie is impossible
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:46 am Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
These theatrical anime releases are very profitable, especially in japan, but i will have to agree with topgunner, they are really just filler in feature length format, so while they are pretty as hell, they are rather useless in the advancement of the plot, most anime movies suffer from this, which leads me to this question, does anyone know any anime movies that advance the plot and arent just eye candy?

Besides what have already been mentioned there's also

The Captain Tsubasa movies, as they are adaptations of manga sidestories which are canon.

Transformers The Movie, I think that counts as anime.

Urusei Yatsura movie 5 since that's an adaptation of the final chapters of the manga.

Pokemon the first movie, although they did the erasing memory cheat. 2nd movie's events have vaguely been referenced in the main TV show so it counts I guess.

Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz and Char's Counterattack are the only Gundam movies with a clear connections. 00's movie was too random, it didn't tie any loose ends, it's more or less a bonus....a crappy bonus imo (aliens -_-')
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:55 am Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:
Why does it have the advance the plot of the comic? That'd be stupid. I certainly don't want to have to crossover to another medium to understand the story of the comic. A standalone movie (or even one which begins a series) is best for these long-running shounen titles.

Pretty much. Movies are great to see things that usually won't happen in the main series, or to try something new, like Road to Ninja was.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:00 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:

American cartoon fans would probably kill to have a bunch of theatrical movies for their shows instead of live-action remakes

Oh no, not every year, even American fans would get tired of that, whether animation or live-action. Heck, Marvel was already skirting the lines of saturation with their movies. Even the 90's Disney Animation Studio moved away from that.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
I wodner if the year off is to give Kishimoto a chance to work on it? Wasn't the last film Naruto's Strong World/Hell Verse/Battle of Gods, with a lot of original-author-involvement?
Pangea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Naruto? oh that anime full of boring fillers. I thought it had changed name to Filler or something by now but I guess I was wrong.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
What again? Too many movies for that franchise....is it becoming like pokemon (yearly installments)?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
What again? Too many movies for that franchise....is it becoming like pokemon (yearly installments)?

Pretty much every long running series does this. Don't look up Crayon Shin-chan or Doraemon's movie list if Naruto's list intimidates you.

Or Super Sentai/Kamen Rider which can each have 2 or 3 movies a year depending on how the timeline aligns. Kamen Rider OOO was in 3 movies in 2011.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
So what... people want them to just skip entire arcs in the TV anime to put it into the movie or something? Of course they won't do that, so the movies will always be filler. They are for people who like long running shows and want to see a new self contained story on the big screen.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Talk about being jaded. Laughing American cartoon fans would probably kill to have a bunch of theatrical movies for their shows instead of live-action remakes

Heck yeah. Warner Brothers actually makes pretty decent direct-to-DVD (so, more like OVAs than movies) features based on DC comic arcs too PG-13 to put in their TV shows. Getting Bryan Cranston to play Batman in a Frank Miller animated adaptation is incredible when you think about it.

I'm surprised they manage to find new ideas for Naruto movies! The only one I really want to see is "Road to Ninja" for the alternative universe plot. The others are, well, filler. But hey, if it makes them money, why not?

As for anime series movie adaptations, isn't the point of the Evangelion and Magi Madoka remakes to take the plot in a direction their respective series' didn't?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2