• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaze Hikaru

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
For those who have read this series, what did you think of it? It looks pretty interesting. The art style is nice, and it's a combination of martial arts and shoujo. I'm guessing a lot of Rurouni Kenshin and Peacemaker fans would like it.
I was just wondering what people like and don't like about Kaze Hikaru. It doesn't seem a lot have read it, because VIZ just licensed it. Therefore, it will be appearing in Shojo Beat...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Okay, seeing as no one here has read it, I'll ask if anyone thinks it looks interesting? Also, does anyone want to order/has anyone already ordered Shojo Beat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
I too am glad to finally be able to read Kaze Hikaru.

If there are those who aren't sure what KH is about,let me sum it up like this :

PEACEMAKER KUROGANE meets ROSE OF VERSAILLES.
suika

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I've read 1-17 in Japanese and it's one of my most favorite manga. Heck, I've even created a fansite: http://kazehikaru.atspace.org

What I think about KH? It's funny and dramatic with a bit of romance, and so many things I can't really describe. The attention to historical detail is so amazing! But what I love most about it is how it always manages to bring a smile to my face. Very Happy

Quote:
For those who have read this series, what did you think of it? It looks pretty interesting. The art style is nice, and it's a combination of martial arts and shoujo.

A more correct way to describe would be a historical manga. Though it's published in a shoujo magazine, and has it's girly/romance moments, I have to say that KH feels more shounen than shoujo at times.

Why there may be a lack of interest in it might have something to due with the lack of translations. Or perhaps, not many people are interested in shoujo samurai stories. *shrug* It's not an unpopular manga in Japan, as there seems to be a strong fanbase, and the manga is in the top 20. Nevertheless, I am extremely grateful that it'll finally be published in English. Although I do hope that they do a good job on the translation.

Quote:
If there are those who aren't sure what KH is about,let me sum it up like this :
PEACEMAKER KUROGANE meets ROSE OF VERSAILLES.

I disagree. Kaze Hikaru may take place in the same setting, with the same historical characters as Peacemaker, but that's it. The feel, the tone, and other things are completely different. Plus, there's no supernatural stuff or annoying pet pigs. Rolling Eyes However, I do think KH is closer to Rose of Versailles.
soujiokita

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
Yes, I'm interested! This thread just made me happy! Anime hyper I got interested the moment I saw this in the Shojo Beat Preview! I'm so happy right now! Anime hyper
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
It's about the only thing that interests me in Beat besides God Child.
luv_lucy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
wow 2 years since someone replied to this thread?
Anyway i'm a late starter but yes i like it! It's funny and it beats all the other shoujo mangas where the girl is too weak and constantly needs a saviour!
But i heard it was dropped from shoujo beat?
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
luv_lucy wrote:
But i heard it was dropped from shoujo beat?

Yes, it was dropped from the Shojo Beat magazine, but not from the Shojo Beat line of graphic novels. Viz is still releasing Kaze Hikaru, they're just releasing it straight to graphic novel rather than putting it in the magazine first. The first 4 volumes are out now, and volume 5 will be out May 1st.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
I read this series up until they dropped it from SB. It definitely wasn't my favorite title they serialized, but one I went back through and read it all at once, I did enjoy it. And I really like historical manga. But, I didn't feel the need to keep reading the series after SB dropped it from the magazine. Does the series get better? Not that it wasn't enjoyable, but I didn't think it was all that great. Is it worth continuing the series to the end?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
Kaze Hikaru was the only series that ran in Shoujo Beat that I ever didn't read because I found it so boring that reading it was a chore, which isn't what manga is supposed to be. I cheered when it was dropped.

But I am glad that it's still being released in GN form, for people who have different tastes to get. It just always seemed too shounen-esque for me, except with a female main character.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I liked reading it in the magazine and was a bit disappointed to see it dropped, but it wasn't something I cared enough about to bother with the graphic novels. Maybe someday when my load is lighter. It's not like the GN release will finish anytime soon. I think its over 20 volumes and I don't think the release rate increased when it was dropped from the magazine (if it had gone to a bi-monthly or quarterly schedule, it would be at least at volume 7 or 8 by now) so it will won't be finishing for another 5 years, at least.

Edit: It's listed as 20+ (still going) in Japan on the AoD Graphic Novel Comparison chart.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I found Kaze Hikaru to be insanely boring. I liked the art and the plot seemed interesting enough, but it failed to grab me. Maybe because historical manga isn't usually my cup of tea (though there are some exceptions).
luv_lucy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
what i've read so far I found it pretty funny and cute but it is rather long since it's on 21+......but maybe i'll buy them when i have some more money and when viz has released a few more..
ame_de_verseau

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
I struggled following it initally...i didn't know who was who and what the heck was going on..but i really loved Sei and the pony tailed dude. i can't remember his name right now....but i kept waiting for their relationship to develop and now at volume7 it's really heating up..like tepid? lol. but no really i'm so anxious for volume 8 it's not even funny. I'm not saying that it's easy to get into...but it's worth it. It helps to read 5 chapters at a time though. easier to follow.
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
ame_de_verseau wrote:
I struggled following it initally...i didn't know who was who and what the heck was going on..but i really loved Sei and the pony tailed dude. i can't remember his name right now....

From what I've read about Kaze Hikaru, you probably mean Okita Soji - heaven help you if you ever meet any of his fangirls and reveal that you forgot his name Twisted Evil. He's better known for his appearances in the first Kenshin OAV and as a main character in Peacemaker - and along with several other Shinsengumi members depicted in anime/manga really did exist in real life.

From what I've read online, generally speaking there seems to be lukewarm enthusiasm for Kaze Hikaru among English language readers with the exception of the Okita fangirls - and at 20+ volumes it's a pretty large committment, so I've been hesitant. Neither Kaze Hikaru or Peacemaker are ranked very high in ANN's manga encyclopedia, for all that's worth.

@suika - Having watched the anime, yeah, not a big Saizu fan here either. They should have ditched the pig. I did like Peacemaker overall though - especially the absolutely great last six or so episodes. Wonder if they'll ever animate post-Ikedaya...I'm debating starting the manga, but this is about Kaze Hikaru and I digress...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1