• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo's Revised Youth Ordinance Amendment Bill Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olivine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
matrixdude wrote:
The government will be directly involved in deciding what is allowed and what isn't allowed.

They already are. The below content can already be regulated.
Quote:
"Any material that may be detrimental toward the healthy development of youth because of their capacity to be sexually stimulating, encourages cruelty, and/or may compel suicide or criminal behavior."

People should be complaining about the current law instead of worrying about the pointless little things that are getting tacked on.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

Quote:
5) Marriage between an adopted child or adopted child’s spouse with his or her adopting parents, their immediate siblings, their blood relatives, etc. (An adopted son’s divorced wife and the father of one of the adopting parents, etc.) This holds true even after divorce or if the adoption is nullified.

If I'm reading this correctly, marriage between adopted siblings is not an option.

The way he worded it wasn't really clear. Here, I dug up the relevant law itself from the internet.

養子若しくはその配偶者又は養子の直系卑属若しくはその配偶者と養親又はその直系尊属との間では、第七百二十九条の規定により親族関係が終了した後でも、婚姻をすることができない

(Adopted child/Adopted child's spouse/Adopted child's lineal descendants/Adopted child's lineal descendant's spouse
-with-
Adopter/Adopter's lineal ancestor)
[above] type of relationship,
stuff about another article not being an exception,
marrying can't happen

Nothing to worry about, chief.

ZipZapZopTitania wrote:
I just realized that this means Oreimo is going to die by the hand of Big Brother~ Sorry, Kiririn...and your eroge will cease to exist, too. *braces for tsuntsun pillow slam*

I never saw any proof that neither of them were adopted. Actually, Saori comments in episode 2 that they don't look alike enough to be siblings. See, look! Plausible deniability is already there. Very Happy
And all those eroge are either going to be all-ages (no H-scenes) or 18+ (minors already technically can't buy them) She's already got some way to get them even though she's a minor, so this won't affect her at all.

Don't get me wrong. Censorship laws are retarded. I'm just saying this new addition isn't going to affect anything.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
matrixdude wrote:
The government will be directly involved in deciding what is allowed and what isn't allowed.

They already are. The below content can already be regulated.
Quote:
"Any material that may be detrimental toward the healthy development of youth because of their capacity to be sexually stimulating, encourages cruelty, and/or may compel suicide or criminal behavior."

People should be complaining about the current law instead of worrying about the pointless little things that are getting tacked on.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

Quote:
5) Marriage between an adopted child or adopted child’s spouse with his or her adopting parents, their immediate siblings, their blood relatives, etc. (An adopted son’s divorced wife and the father of one of the adopting parents, etc.) This holds true even after divorce or if the adoption is nullified.

If I'm reading this correctly, marriage between adopted siblings is not an option.

The way he worded it wasn't really clear. Here, I dug up the relevant law itself from the internet.

養子若しくはその配偶者又は養子の直系卑属若しくはその配偶者と養親又はその直系尊属との間では、第七百二十九条の規定により親族関係が終了した後でも、婚姻をすることができない

(Adopted child/Adopted child's spouse/Adopted child's lineal descendants/Adopted child's lineal descendant's spouse
-with-
Adopter/Adopter's lineal ancestor)
[above] type of relationship,
stuff about another article not being an exception,
marrying can't happen

Nothing to worry about, chief.

ZipZapZopTitania wrote:
I just realized that this means Oreimo is going to die by the hand of Big Brother~ Sorry, Kiririn...and your eroge will cease to exist, too. *braces for tsuntsun pillow slam*

I never saw any proof that neither of them were adopted. Actually, Saori comments in episode 2 that they don't look alike enough to be siblings. See, look! Plausible deniability is already there. Very Happy
And all those eroge are either going to be all-ages (no H-scenes) or 18+ (minors already technically can't buy them) She's already got some way to get them even though she's a minor, so this won't affect her at all.

Don't get me wrong. Censorship laws are retarded. I'm just saying this new addition isn't going to affect anything.

If it isn't going to effect anything, why is it even a debate? You sound utterly pretentious quite frankly in addition to being a devil's advocate.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
It's probably not too classy to quote what amounts to an Internet tabloid, but some thought-provoking commentary:

Quote:
As usual, the law targets only anime, manga and games, completely ignoring films and novels (it should be noted Tokyo’s governor Ishihara, a key proponent of the ban, has written a number of novels featuring scenes of graphic rape).

The law would thus classify a manga depiction of the Japanese literary classic “The Tale of Genji” (which features a young girl being kidnapped and reared as a sex slave, ultimately being raped) as obscene literature, whilst leaving an identical version of the same story conveyed in its original novel format or as a film alone completely.

Thanks for posting this.

These are surprisingly well-made arguments imho. And I agree.

As much as I'd love to see a metric ton of explicit content taken out of some series, I don't pretend to have or even want that control over someone else's work.

I've paraphrased it before and I'll do it again, "While I may not agree with what you read/watch/stimulate yourself to/etc., I'll fight to the death for your right to do it."
So long as the one who purchases/obtains these things is of consenting age, isn't doing any harm to themself or others, and is contributing positively to society, I say Let. Them. Be.
zerome

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
So just to get this right, if the Bill passes the government will have the authority to ban anything they deem as sexually stimulating (or Sexual, action movies, dramas, history, thriller, horror, pychological, Harry Potter deathly Hollows part 1), encourages cruelty (Action, horror, Thriller, Drama, pychological, history, Harry Potter) , may compel suicide or criminal behavior (pyschological themes, dark themes, drama themes, American idol Rolling Eyes

and don't forget any yuri or yaoi based themes will definitely be banned. ( ooooo I forgot to add kissing, hugging, and any close contact, between two individuals because it could definitely be taken as sexually stimulating by someone)( as a matter of fact everything and anything can be taken as sexually stimulating.)(Remember if it may seem good and clean to you someone is definitely getting sexually stimulated by it ) Wink

You know whats funny, if I am reading it right this Bill bans everything that the U.S. likes about movies. But only in book and cartoon form.

If that's the case, then what are they trying to do again?

Aren't there already restrictions on what can be shown on tv ( I mean I noticed a large difference with censoring when I saw the new to-love-ru season when they censored bra's. Shocked Shocked what?)

Is this an attempt to move it to books. Does that mean book banning is making a comback in japan?

But then again...... yeah...... I am totally confused? what are the current laws again? and how is this Bill different?

I mean 2 girls and a cup would never be put up anywhere( I really wish I didn't remember that Shocked).
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
What will happen to the anime industry when the bill is passed?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
What will happen to the anime industry when the bill is passed?
Nothing, This is only about restricting sales to minors, ignore all this neurotic hand wringing by our resident Nancy's. Rolling Eyes
tyciol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
There is a serious and frightening means in which they are labelling these genres.

It is one thing to restrict material, but to use a word like 'harm' (albeit, maybe we are losing something in translation?) for them is completely wrong.

First off, "sexually stimulating" to whom? Does it show boobs? What about people who like feet, no beach visits?

In regard to encouraging cruelty: does that apply to Death Note, Dragonball?

Compel criminal behaviour? I guess that means One Piece is out?

Suicide? I guess we should eliminate things that deal with it seriously like Kyouran Kazoku Nikki then, even though it might save lives.

They're actually condemning relationships between people whose marriage would be illegal, does that outlaw yaoi as well as incest?

I guess Shakugan no Shana is also out for that matter since a pair of villains are incestuous siblings.

I really don't understand the sexual focus when most hypothetical harm will come from violence. I can understand if you don't want preteens looking at K1 getting his thumbs nails in the manga adaptation of Higurashi or something, but we're probably going to delay the appreciation of the majority of manga that might have anything overtly romantic or ecchi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4