• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Releases this Week" needs an upgrade

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
While I find this a great idea, I don't feel like it's being used as effectively as it could be. Yes, it's nice knowing what's coming out, but I find it hard to believe that it's helpful to buyers to know what's coming out the day it's being released. As someone who buys anime and manga often, I prefer having advanced notice so I can plan my purchases and adjust my budget accordingly, and I imagine I'm not the only one who feels this way.

So I suggest changing "Releases this Week" to "Releases for [insert month]". Post it the Saturday before the first Tuesday of the new month and have everything for that month. I say Saturday because all new releases come out on Tuesdays, so doing it Saturday gives buyers three days notice of the first batch of releases coming out that month. Also, weekends tend to be slower news-wise, so it won't get lost amongst a lot of other articles unless there's a license announcement or something else that's big.

I feel ANN is letting fairly important information go by unnoticed when all you have is a list of releases that very few knows even exists and the information you do dispose on the front page for all to see isn't very helpful. This has been eating at me since you guys first started doing the "Releases this Week" articles and I'm at point where I need to express my feelings and ideas on this and hopefully help you guys put this information in the foreground.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:00 am Reply with quote
So Dan's reply in the subscriber-only forum wasn't satisfactory to you, was it?

My response four and six years ago, respectively.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:45 am Reply with quote
I'm talking about improving a news article, not expanding the Encyclopedia. Those two quotes you linked to talk about what should and shouldn't be included in the Encyclopedia, something I'm not concerned about with my suggestion.

All I'm suggesting is improving upon an article that talks about something fairly important in the anime world today. I'm talking about changing the Encyclopedia, I'm not suggesting a new column like I did in the "Feature Request" section, I'm suggesting that the news article be tweaked to be more useful to consumers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Gia Manry is the one who handles the upcoming releases article. If you have suggestions for her, you should email them to [email protected].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1